Cove Thread

He has his moments every game but if you had been there I’m sure you would say your assertion that he and Gallagher ran the game was maybe a bit of an exaggeration.

42 minutes ago, 1993 said:

He has his moments every game but if you had been there I’m sure you would say your assertion that he and Gallagher ran the game was maybe a bit of an exaggeration.

The information came from a local journalist who also seems to be of the opinion that they both have made an impact. True or false? 

2 hours ago, CoveRangers1922 said:

Agreed, IF we are really serious, recall our players, give ourselves our best chance of getting into the playoffs.

Screenshot_20240312_134422_Chrome.jpg

Pretty sure you are not allowed to do that, at least from the point of view of playing them before the season concludes. 

41 minutes ago, lionel wickson said:

Pretty sure you are not allowed to do that, at least from the point of view of playing them before the season concludes. 

Oh, wasn't aware of that. Section 6.3 https://www.scottishfa.co.uk/media/11137/scottishfa_handbook-2023-24_digital.pdf is about loan (temporary transfers)

6.3.5 mentions termination of a loan and states the player's registrations reverts to parent club but doesn't state if the player is prevented from playing from said parent. 

You could well be right. Very intrigued to know for certain now. Failing to think back to previous seasons when a loan is terminated early.

4 hours ago, CoveRangers1922 said:

Yeah this could be reminiscent of Cormack giving Goodwin one more match and him famously strolling across Easter Road pitch, bag over shoulder having been punted minutes after the full time whistle. Could that happen at Kelty or the week after at Balmoral when Accies come to town?

The board were completely blinkered giving him a 3.5 year deal. Unnecessary and clearly hard for them to stomach now, needs done though. Even the board returning back to giving him a warchest and allowing him to fish in a lake rather than a puddle wouldn't guarantee anything going by his last 2 windows. I don't think there is an attraction to play under Hartley and players will go elsewhere for the same money. 

Agreed, IF we are really serious, recall our players, give ourselves our best chance of getting into the playoffs.

Fans don't want him any longer, don't see that changing. I don't for one second think he isn't giving it his all but the brutal stance is he's failed since returning 

Screenshot_20240312_134422_Chrome.jpg

If it’s the same as the Cormack/Goodwin situation if the players are in the k ow I wonder if they’ll down tools like our lot did at Hibs.

what was the reason for the bumper deal? Going off past performance or father in law pulling a few strings? Clearly that’ll be him finished in top flight football when he goes if sacked. 
wonder if the HL he’d feel he was lowering himself

4 hours ago, Watson Nimrod said:

Someone needs to get a grip and show some leadership. Both Golding and Gallagher ran the show for Elgin again on Saturday, at the very least get Golding back. We have FA options on the bench or for freshening things up.

34 minutes ago, CoveRangers1922 said:

Oh, wasn't aware of that. Section 6.3 https://www.scottishfa.co.uk/media/11137/scottishfa_handbook-2023-24_digital.pdf is about loan (temporary transfers)

6.3.5 mentions termination of a loan and states the player's registrations reverts to parent club but doesn't state if the player is prevented from playing from said parent. 

You could well be right. Very intrigued to know for certain now. Failing to think back to previous seasons when a loan is terminated early.

You 100% cannot recall an outfield loan outwith a window and play them in your own side.

It is technically possible to recall  / cancel a loan outwith a window but the player either sits in your reserves for the rest of the season or goes on loan somewhere else (which couldn't now be an SPFL side as the loan signing deadline has passed at the end of February).

These are SPFL rules, not SFA ones. SFA rules also cover clubs who play in leagues that don't use windows so the operation of loans and cancellations is different. Looking at the SFA rules for guidance is pointless.

Edited by Skyline Drifter

4 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

You 100% cannot recall an outfield loan outwith a window and play them in your own side.

It is technically possible to recall  / cancel a loan outwith a window but the player either sits in your reserves for the rest of the season or goes on loan somewhere else (which couldn't now be an SPFL side as the loan signing deadline has passed at the end of February).

These are SPFL rules, not SFA ones. SFA rules also cover clubs who play in leagues that don't use windows so the operation of loans and cancellations is different. Looking at the SFA rules for guidance is pointless.

Thanks, least one or two of us know the rules. 

Our bench will remain half empty, on a good day, between now and the rest of the season.

34 minutes ago, Moorie said:

If it’s the same as the Cormack/Goodwin situation if the players are in the k ow I wonder if they’ll down tools like our lot did at Hibs.

what was the reason for the bumper deal? Going off past performance or father in law pulling a few strings? Clearly that’ll be him finished in top flight football when he goes if sacked. 
wonder if the HL he’d feel he was lowering himself

Certainly a large dose of the latter but there was definitely a believing amongst the board and some fans he could continue where he left off to some extent.

He will likely still get another SPFL club, just. I don't see him ever taking a LL/HL job but could be wrong.

His stock after 2 promotions with us, and his time with Alloa and Dundee, was high. There were rumours of his name being floated for other positions before he left for Hartlepool. 2 disastrous years ensued, and for him sadly will have dented his reputation.

Edited by CoveRangers1922

17 hours ago, Watson Nimrod said:

The information came from a local journalist who also seems to be of the opinion that they both have made an impact. True or false? 

Absolutely no doubt they have made an impact but imo on Saturday they were a long way from “ running the game”.

Happy that the team got a result today, disappointed however as it feels like it bought Hartley a week of grace.

I see his best mate wormed his way back into the squad, he looked out of breathe even running onto the pitch. 

Surprising 3 points on the road after a morale sapping defeat last week. Stats show we had a measly 1 shot on target and snuck a 1-0 win so hardly convincing but welcomed all the same.

Difficult fixture next week as right now our form guide over the last 2 months contradicts our league position and Accies are 3 straight wins, 4 undefeated and haven't conceded in that run. Starting to click again in front of goal too.

I couldn't get down to the game yesterday but just had enough time to go to Links Park and see Mo v Annan. Montrose failed to hit the levels that they found against us and up against a resurgent Annan, who are now very competitive and look more than capable of escaping 9th, were perhaps a tad fortunate to sneak a set piece equaliser at the death.

Bit of a tangent, it's been bugging me for weeks now who Josh Kerr reminds me of. Finally made the link, anyone seen Con Air. Granted far more so recently with his longer hair and parting at the front.

20240317_074151.jpg

4 minutes ago, CoveRangers1922 said:

Surprising 3 points on the road after a morale sapping defeat last week. Stats show we had a measly 1 shot on target and snuck a 1-0 win so hardly convincing but welcomed all the same.

Difficult fixture next week as right now our form guide over the last 2 months contradicts our league position and Accies are 3 straight wins, 4 undefeated and haven't conceded in that run. Starting to click again in front of goal too.

I couldn't get down to the game yesterday but just had enough time to go to Links Park and see Mo v Annan. Montrose failed to hit the levels that they found against us and up against a resurgent Annan, who are now very competitive and not worthy of being 9th, were perhaps a tad fortunate to sneak a set piece equaliser at the death.

Bit of a tangent, it's been bugging me for weeks now who Josh Kerr reminds me of. Finally made the link, anyone seen Con Air.

20240317_074151.jpg

You heartless b*st*rd, comparing poor Steve Buscemi to Josh Kerr.

12 minutes ago, Bairn in Exile said:

You heartless b*st*rd, comparing poor Steve Buscemi to Josh Kerr.

I remember the film from my childhood. The actor, who I know nothing about, I remember playing his sinister part very convincingly. I couldn't name you another film he was in or what else he was famous, or worse yet and hopefully not, infamous for.

Must admit I basically don't watch any movies but the current Kerr hair style makes him look slightly like the character Garland Greene

54 minutes ago, CoveRangers1922 said:

Kelty are a good side and it's been two hard fought 1-0 wins away there this season. Defended well. Bal made some good saves and Mitch took his chance after a brilliant ball in from fyvie (showing his class again).

Can't see us taking anything from Accies last time we played them still annoys me so slow and afraid to attack despite a man advantage for 20 minutes. If we defend like we did yesterday we'll give ourselves a good chance

I joked that Hartley would send Lawal straight back to Falkirk for the tunnel antics after our game the other day but as he's not been in the last two squads I'm starting to think he actually has.

Who's got the inside scoop? 

51 minutes ago, covefan97 said:

Kelty are a good side and it's been two hard fought 1-0 wins away there this season. Defended well. Bal made some good saves and Mitch took his chance after a brilliant ball in from fyvie (showing his class again).

Can't see us taking anything from Accies last time we played them still annoys me so slow and afraid to attack despite a man advantage for 20 minutes. If we defend like we did yesterday we'll give ourselves a good chance

Bal's done well since coming in, definitely a positive and deserves his chance after looking solid and convincing in pre-season / league cup group stages. 

Glad Mitch got on the scoresheet again, hopefully he's starting to regain confidence as I must admit I've doubt him this season and we need him at best for the remaining games.

When we ground out a 1-0 win at Balmoral against Accies, with Fyvie's header, that was the point I thought we looked near our best this season. Fyvie was on form, Burrell was starting to look deadly and Doyle was a leader we didn't have. Clearly we fell away big time in the past few months. 

I agree, hard to see us taking anything from next week. We need to stay in touch with 4th right to the end. It will likely ebb and flow although won't be easy catching Mo. More likely than not we could be 6 points behind them after next weekend. Mo away to SA is a game they will believe they can take all 3 points.

9 hours ago, FFC 1876 said:

I joked that Hartley would send Lawal straight back to Falkirk for the tunnel antics after our game the other day but as he's not been in the last two squads I'm starting to think he actually has.

Who's got the inside scoop? 

Hasn't been mentioned in any Cove stuff about him being injured or suspended so he probably has been sent back or something similar to that

On 17/03/2024 at 19:16, covefan97 said:

Hasn't been mentioned in any Cove stuff about him being injured or suspended so he probably has been sent back or something similar to that

I’ve heard he is back at Falkirk but that came from the same source close to the club that told me Hartley was getting sacked last Sunday 🤣

Was an odd signing anyway, I’m no fan of Hartley but I would have sent him back for that pish anyway. No loss, whereas Golding and Gallagher are.