Cove Thread

10 minutes ago, peternapper said:

cant remember exactly what else he did but think he did  quite a bit of watching teams/players fo teams. Good lad who alway gave his all

Notice that we'll be playing you on 11th July in a pre-season friendly. Wonder which other Cove players will be on the opposition by then!

1 hour ago, CoveRangers1922 said:

Notice that we'll be playing you on 11th July in a pre-season friendly. Wonder which other Cove players will be on the opposition by then!

We had games v Buckie &  Banks o Dee announceed the other but since we avoided each other in the cup a pre season is fine, is it on the grass or plastic ? 😛

2 hours ago, peternapper said:

We had games v Buckie &  Banks o Dee announceed the other but since we avoided each other in the cup a pre season is fine, is it on the grass or plastic ? 😛

On the plastic unfortunately. Will be good to see familiar faces. 

Edited by CoveRangers1922

3 hours ago, CoveRangers1922 said:

On the plastic unfortunately. Will be good to see familiar faces. 

Your game and one v Dyce Juniors have been added looks a better pre season this year last year really just had a couple games over the weekend at Elgin then into cup games with no goalkeeper signed until the friday & not being able to play trialists meant we filled a number of positions with no hopers, the rest as they is history, not to be repeated i would hope.

4th signing of the summer, Will Gillingham. Complete unknown, intrigued to see how he gets as undoubtedly a risk.

Looks to have good distribution going by the below YouTube but obviously this only shows his highlights. Height and build is definitely a plus for his centre back position

Screenshot_2023-06-13-16-06-36-08_0b2fce7a16bf2b728d6ffa28c8d60efb.jpg

22 minutes ago, 1320Lichtie said:

Will Gillingham sounds like an absolute Deri Corfe of a signing 

Undoubtedly a gamble. Supposedly trained at Livi recently so hopefully we're going off more than Gordon Young's fleeting experience out in California a few years back 

My expectation isn't overly high!

13 minutes ago, CoveRangers1922 said:

Undoubtedly a gamble. Supposedly trained at Livi recently so hopefully we're going off more than Gordon Young's fleeting experience out in California a few years back 

My expectation isn't overly high!

Said to my mate Gillingham will either be an absolute disaster or really good if I had to guess. No inbetween 

We learned the hard way with Corfe, who funnily enough is now banging them in somewhere in New Zealand.

In pre season he looked ok but when the games started I don’t think the United States leagues translated too well to the rough and tumble of Scottish lower league football. 

20 hours ago, CoveRangers1922 said:

Cove third signing of the season is Arron Darge, 20 year old centre back, recently released from Hearts. 2 year deal.

Another signing inbound

Screenshot_2023-06-13-13-39-43-34_0b2fce7a16bf2b728d6ffa28c8d60efb.jpg

Player always sign up in football manager in my cove save. Hopefully lives up to his stats in the game in real life. 🤣

3 minutes ago, Moorie said:

Player always sign up in football manager in my cove save. Hopefully lives up to his stats in the game in real life. 🤣

He's definitely got promise and potential. Looking forward to seeing him in action. Will he play alongside Gillingham at centre back? I worry about that signing, rarely does it work out favourably but we'll see. 

Will Reynolds stay, be a regular or bit part player? There's going to be a load more coming in over the few weeks.

A lot of Dons fans not too impressed with Ryan Duncan of late. Hopefully he comes to us on loan. Would take Hancock. Surely Hartley is talking to his mate Robson? There are very strong links between both clubs at all levels.

Ngwenya if we can't find a permanent player. He's not going to make the grade at Pittodrie. Strachan is a LB but I'd like to think we can find better and he's competition

Potentially one for @CoveRangers1922 - are all your players currently under contract moving to full time status? If they can't or don't fancy it, will they stay at the club part time or have their contract paid up?

How do you feel about the full time move? To me it seems strange to do it in League 1. Falkirk, for instance, you'd imagine would have the pick of the best (central based) part time players in the country if they shifted to hybrid/PT, as opposed to having to choose from the worst full time players. They've shown season upon season that those players cannot get you out of that league. However, Dunfermline made it work and escaped. Not sure if that's the same up north with the standard of available PT/FT players. I would have thought the move to FT would be more sensible after a season of consolidation in the Championship.

Are you moving players up north or having a training base that's more central?

Edited by Brian Carrigan

23 minutes ago, Brian Carrigan said:

Potentially one for @CoveRangers1922 - are all your players currently under contract moving to full time status? If they can't or don't fancy it, will they stay at the club part time or have their contract paid up?

How do you feel about the full time move? To me it seems strange to do it in League 1. Falkirk, for instance, you'd imagine would have the pick of the best (central based) part time players in the country if they shifted to hybrid/PT, as opposed to having to choose from the worst full time players. They've shown season upon season that those players cannot get you out of that league. However, Dunfermline made it work and escaped. Not sure if that's the same up north with the standard of available PT/FT players. I would have thought the move to FT would be more sensible after a season of consolidation in the Championship.

Are you moving players up north or having a training base that's more central?

Fully agree that we should have went hybrid at the start of the Championship season. I think that would have happened if Hartley stayed but he left and the board IMO didn't trust or weren't willing to give anyone else the keys to the warchest (not like we've opened it so far since offering FT contracts, I suspect we will for key targets). 

We have 10 PT players in this 2023/24 hybrid season. Following season will be completely FT. Shay is away, although not announced by the club, Vigurs will go as no longer required, another one of our players will sign for Alloa imminently I believe. The remaining 7 will be considering options. Think 1/2 of them will go if I had to guess.

If Mitch, Blair, Scully stay this season they will PCA with Peterhead in January I would imagine.

Strategy so far seems to be to target young players who probably have no or little commitments. As I said we will have budget for bigger name signings but you are right we are competing with Championship clubs so it will be used wisely and they would need to have ties to the area in order to want to drop a division and join us. Thinking Aberdeen/Grampian born and/or based players

Think we'll be offering accomodation for players we're moving up yeah.

10 hours ago, CoveRangers1922 said:

He's definitely got promise and potential. Looking forward to seeing him in action. Will he play alongside Gillingham at centre back? I worry about that signing, rarely does it work out favourably but we'll see. 

Will Reynolds stay, be a regular or bit part player? There's going to be a load more coming in over the few weeks.

A lot of Dons fans not too impressed with Ryan Duncan of late. Hopefully he comes to us on loan. Would take Hancock. Surely Hartley is talking to his mate Robson? There are very strong links between both clubs at all levels.

Ngwenya if we can't find a permanent player. He's not going to make the grade at Pittodrie. Strachan is a LB but I'd like to think we can find better and he's competition

Yeah the next few weeks I can see Wellington circle being a busy road of ins and outs. 

For Duncan I would imagine if the does go on loan will be down the championship as already played on loan with Peterhead further down the league. 
I am surprised more players haven’t moved to cove on loan since they have came up the leagues. Towler and Antoniazzi only two I can think off. Surely make more sense keeping them in the city instead or travelling down to fife etc two weeks a night 

Morgyn Neill leaves Cove after completing 2 out of the 3 years of his contract. Strong defender who wins nearly everything in the air. Would have been fine for L1 which is probably his limit due to his lack of pace. Alongside the right CB partner he could get by in the Championship 

https://coverangersfc.com/2023/06/15/morgyn-neill-departs/

Screenshot_2023-06-15-16-33-34-66_0b2fce7a16bf2b728d6ffa28c8d60efb.jpg

Cove's 5th signing is Rumarn Burrell who was recently with Killie on loan and previously released by Falkirk. Only a 1 year deal. Hoping he can form a decent partnership alongside Mitch. Connell would likely be 3rd choice / competition as I don't envisage us playing 3 up top with any consistency 

https://coverangersfc.com/2023/06/16/rumarn-burrell-is-latest-new-face/

Screenshot_2023-06-16-18-31-07-55_0b2fce7a16bf2b728d6ffa28c8d60efb.jpg