Cove Thread

1 hour ago, Chinatoon Bairn said:

Could mean absolutely nothing but Rumarn Burrell has just bought a house within the Birmingham area

Interesting. Potentially could be away come January or Summer or might just be putting down roots close to family? I suspect he's getting accomodation with us as part of his deal. Only a 1 year deal so he can PCA with interested clubs starting in 6 weeks or so.

He's chipped in with some crucial goals for us and looks fairly effective to give him credit. He was never going to stay longer than his initial contract imo only caveat to that would have been if we achieved promotion and offered him a substantial increase.

Edited by CoveRangers1922

7 minutes ago, Midweek-away-to-Lossie said:

Rumarn is easily our best forward in the squad, if only he would lift his head a bit more and pick a pass... but if he did, he'd not be playing League One for Cove!  I would expect him to sign a pre-contract agreement with someone, guess it's whether the board want to (try and) cash in or keep him to push for promotion.  I expect if an offer comes in they'll accept it, same with Nick, given the board will try and spin the "we gave them a platform to move onto bigger things" whilst in reality just trying to get some money back for their own pockets

He looks the most lively, scored the most goals and with Mitch waning I tend to agree. Certainly way above Williamson and Connell.

He can PCA for someone from 1st January and leave in the summer for nothing. Sure we might get a small fee if someone wants him, just like Thistle got with Rudden when he moved to Dundee and QP did with Si Murray but the price will be lowball, barely pay for a directors 2 week family holiday to the Maldives! Rumarn was never likely to stay beyond his 1 year contract and was always going to use us to springboard to a higher club. 

Our chances of going up, will be through playoffs only, I think is around 30/40% tops. Rumarn will PCA with someone else.

Suman I 100% agree with what you say and unfortunately even under a 2 year contract we will get little for. A great bit of recruitment business and has looked a standout. Given we have Balint waiting in the wings we could just about cope with losing him and it not affecting us drastically.

January I expect quite a ins and outs as clearly Hartley isn't happy with his summer business

• 3 weeks later...

Free night for me so went along to Pittodrie to see Aberdeen v Killie. Firstly the Dons were completely rotten, lacked any kind of impetus, movement and never looked like scoring. Looked petrified with the ball. Robson will be lucky to see the Hearts game let alone the cup final.

Anyway got talking to Sanders near the dug out at half time and full time. Said I was a Cove fan and thanked him for his time with us. He was outstanding for us and a massive loss when McInnes hooked him after McIntyre got the sack. What a centre back; commanding and aggressive. Sad to see him not getting first team football. Moorhouse should give him what he wants and sneak in with a PCA.

Told me he's contracted until Summer. Did ask about whether he'd get out on loan but obviously wouldn't say even if he knew. 

Asked me if I wanted his shirt.

IMG_20231206_220534.jpg

50 minutes ago, Midweek-away-to-Lossie said:

So... who's going to replace Burrell in January?! 😂

Spotlight well and truly on him. He's played and scored himself in contention for many offers you'd think. We'll be trying to extend his contract naturally but it will be a tough ask.

It won't be Mitch that will replace the goals he's been scoring. We'll need 2 strikers in the window regardless. Williamson should be returned to QP. Not quite the standard needed.

1 hour ago, Midweek-away-to-Lossie said:

It's a shame, I don't see Burrell staying beyond the end of January.  I would imagine he'll get better offers from elsewhere so suspect the board will look to try and get some form of fee for him.  It might just be a one off but based on the Burrell we have this season, for me he is head and shoulders above whatever Mitch at his best has been (tell me this Rumarn wouldn't have scored the same or more goals than Mitch in the HL?).  When you look at pretty much all of his other signings, how has Hartley pulled this rabbit out of the bag?  Suman is a decent shot stopper, but he is questionable with his distribution and our poisonous goalkeeping coach doesn't seem to have improved any keeper that's been at the club... probably too busy sh@gging behind his wife's back again!

You tend to question how many more times is Fyvie going to come back from a serious injury where surgery is required... he must have his own private room at the Albyn now sadly.  Undoubtedly someone who if not for injury, could still be playing at a far far higher level and Fraser will be a huge miss in the middle of the park - going by previous, I don't expect to see him back this season now.  I'm guessing until the Montrose game there was no thinking of central midfield reinforcements being brought in but if FF is out for the season we need someone to file the gap.  McGowan needs replaced anyway, Blair is in the same bracket as Fyvie in that you worry about how prone to injury he is and Kerr is awful - the boy contributes more positively when he's out injured.  Being realistic, we aren't likely going to get someone the same level as Fraser coming in.

Let Williamson leave in January and if Burrell goes too, is Connell the answer?  He looked promising at the start of the season and this would perhaps allow money to be directed towards a Fraser Fyvie shaped hole in the middle of the park.  If Burrell stays, we should still be looking to bring in another first team regular striker - this season to play alongside Rumarn before he (likely) leaves and then next season to replace him (or ideally play alongside).  Mitch, put him on the bench.  He's done.  Hopefully he doesn't take any more penalties either.

If Fyvie is out long term, might we see a change of shape and a couple of wingers be signed in January?

I agree. Rumarn will have offers from a couple of Championship clubs and from clubs down South, likely L2 in all honesty. We'll have paid him considerably to get him up here. I heard Dunfermline were interested last season, just rumour. We'll get peanuts if he goes in January sadly.

He's head and shoulders above Mitch right now, purely down to his pace and energy which is causing havoc for defences at our level.

With Fyvie supplying him and a better quality striker than Mitch he would excel further. Mitch is playing slightly deeper, needs to now, and can still link play but the days of him winning matches on his own or scoring 10+ league goals are perhaps gone. He's a different type of player at this stage in his career but if you offered him to any L1 club bar the top two they'd snap your hand off.

Williamson's rise has been far to quick from Cambuslang to QP. He needs regular game time and won't get it with us. Connell is a L2 player for me. I doubt he'd start regularly for any other L1 side bar the bottom two.

You'd think Sanders will have options to stay closer to home than come all the way up here, plus a higher level.  Don't see the Cobban cheque book being thrown about on statement signings, think those days are gone now and it'll be more propping up the balance sheet given the cost of being full-time and next to nothing coming in via the turnstiles.... back to cancelling the supporters bus again, absolute tin pot!

Sanders will have options, definitely his pick of Championship sides and possibly would attract interest from another SPL side. 

We need to splash some cash for the right positions, in wages, as unlikely to be a transfer fee. We ideally need a LB, CM, winger(x1 or x2) and definitely a striker or two depending on what happens with Burrell. 

We'll undoubtedly try to strengthen, how successful we do in the window will depend on many factors; budget, getting players out in any capacity and what the board authorise. We're doing ourselves no harm in putting a strong run together leading up to the window opening.

Realistically it would take considerable spend to challenge for automatic promotion and therefore I imagine it will be mostly creative recruitment that ensures we try to have enough to mount a tilt at promotion through the playoffs.

Definitely need some focus on growing everything off the field. It was touted this summer but haven't seen much evidence of it.

For me, from seeing the vast number of unknown trialists in the summer and the majority of signings Hartley brought in from lower leagues or without clubs, the budget was restricted more than most thought it would be (and rightly so). I guess the board tried to impart some kind of limitation and treat this as a transition to hybrid. After a relegation and the balance sheet not being on point you can understand that. Not saying we didn't have budget for some quality players. I imagine Hartley would have opted for a different strategy recruitment wise and he regrets some decisions made.

To be where we are after the influx of players over the summer and the start to the season is a relative success for me. I didn't see this run coming

Given he's bought a house at home and scoring for fun, I don't see him staying in Scotland.  I don't even just mean Mitch from this season or last, I mean peak Mitch.  I've always thought he was over-rated... playing in the Highland League during your "prime", there was a reason for that!  Lets be honest, it's only time before Mitch heads to the CRFC retirement home at Balmoor!

How many loanees really do get game time at us though?  Very few!

There must also be an eye on next season as well; the part-time guys and whilst part-time, Reynolds isn't too far off being done I'd say.  Certainly think to look at promotion we need to be replacing him more due to his age than anything although you need someone with an experienced head which he brings.  Agree entirely with the signings - CM, we've got plenty but it's certainly quantity over quality there!  There needs to be a huge clear out of players or will they all just get to do a Vigurs and RDP, sit collecting wages for nothing.

The problem is though, if we did somehow manage to go up via the playoffs I'd say we're in a worse position squad wise now than we were when we went up last time.

Growing the club off the pitch won't happen, Moorhouse and co are too cliquey for that and want it just as a boys club.  I mean how bad are our gates... just give the tickets away for free to kids; local schools, oil companies as we have enough connections with the O&G industry, local kids charities... give them free tickets and I'm sure McGinty's could stretch to covering a free pie and drink, although they struggle to deal with crowds of 20 folk as it is!  Get kids in, get them hooked.  Get a fucking atmosphere in the ground for f**k sake, I've seen livelier afternoon's at Hazelhead crem than Balmoral.  But then again, we all know how the view is it's the board train set and they don't like being questioned so getting more fans might mean more questions or people seeing through the fact if you shag the DoF's daughter then you are guaranteed a job!

There's zero evidence of growth and the comms & media has gone backwards since Richard Gordon came on board, it's a poor state of affairs when you say bringing back Charlie Allan would be an improvement

Mitch in his prime years was a deadly finisher and had great movement. Yes he was playing beneath his level in the HL and L2. He always needed a target man striker alongside him, never looked comfortable up top alone. Won't have the longevity of Rory.

Rumarn is a different beast, different qualities but has greater potential to play higher. We've seen him hit a purple patch. I think he could easily have dry spells too but constantly works hard for the team. If you were his agent you would be trying to move him on in his peak.

Yeah Mitch will undoubtedly pitch up at Balmoor very soon, possibly next season? Great mates with Jordon and Strachan.

This is Reynolds last season for me. He's done well so far this season and is rightly a first choice but out of contract in the summer and next season you'd think he'd be mostly warming the bench if we recruit correctly.

Always viewed this season as a transition given the relegation. Hard to bounce back when McGlynn brought in the players he did and Accies getting substantial backing with their new Turkish owner. Fully agree IF we managed to get up through the playoffs we'd need a bigger rebuild and more investment. We haven't gone hybrid and plan to go FT exclusively next season to constantly play L1 football. Interesting to see how it develops. We need to grow everything to honour FT. Yes we can be well backed but need to start developing our revenue streams. Granted we've learnt, or at least experienced, what is required at that level and we've made a switch to FT which could be viewed as a benefit.

1 hour ago, CoveRangers1922 said:

I agree. Rumarn will have offers from a couple of Championship clubs and from clubs down South, likely L2 in all honesty. We'll have paid him considerably to get him up here. I heard Dunfermline were interested last season, just rumour. We'll get peanuts if he goes in January sadly.

I was a big fan of him last season, I'd absolutely take him tbh. 

52 minutes ago, HoBNob said:

I was a big fan of him last season, I'd absolutely take him tbh. 

He'd be getting an equal number of goals in Falkirk's squad this season I feel providing he got the game time. He's not the most physical but pace and reactions are superior to most strikers in L1.

For me, MacIver is decent, has some good attributes and can bring others into play but there's definitely scope to add a predator striker in the window. If you get that in the window there should be no stopping the Bairns.

If/when you go up I expect that position will be a top priority. Jordan Allan and Gary Oliver will naturally need to move on as won't offer what you want in the Championship 

4 hours ago, CoveRangers1922 said:

He'd be getting an equal number of goals in Falkirk's squad this season I feel providing he got the game time. He's not the most physical but pace and reactions are superior to most strikers in L1.

For me, MacIver is decent, has some good attributes and can bring others into play but there's definitely scope to add a predator striker in the window. If you get that in the window there should be no stopping the Bairns.

If/when you go up I expect that position will be a top priority. Jordan Allan and Gary Oliver will naturally need to move on as won't offer what you want in the Championship 

You are replying to a Fifer not a Falkirk fan!

For what its worth I thought Burrell flattered to deceive at Falkirk last year.

Have heard a number of reasons as to why he’s no longer part of the squad but you could see he could finish but any other part of the game he wasn’t much good at but he’s still relatively young ( In terms of games played) so plenty room for improvement. 

• 4 weeks later...
On 15/12/2023 at 22:39, Midweek-away-to-Lossie said:

So for tomorrow's charity fancy dress, I was planning on going dressed as a fraud and got my outfit all sorted...

WhatsAppImage2023-12-15at21_45.47_ab47b364.jpg.98a066e443ceb75282283e18bb34b49b.jpg

Please don’t fkng remind us. 

4 minutes ago, Midweek-away-to-Lossie said:

Two of the worst full-backs I've ever seen yet still only managed a draw thanks to a 96th minute equaliser?

Burrell's still here, still scoring for fun 🙂

Brad Mckay was playing as a floater in that game though.

1 hour ago, BPM Again said:

I see the right full back that Calvin Miller destroyed up there has gone. Is the left back that Morrison took to the cleaners still there? 

The area we were weakest at the start of the season without question and undoubtedly where the Bairns are strongest.

Replaced Shay Logan and Harry Milne with Rio Davidson-Phipps from Haringey Borough (tier 7 in England) and Jacob Jones who was at Forest Green Rovers but loaned to King's Lynn (tier 6 in England). Both are dreadful.

JJ still playing but I'm fairly confident we'll try to get better in this window. Luke Strachan will replace him worse case scenario. He's been out injured for 5 months.

We took in Mikey Doyle at RB who has been a solid addition.

2 hours ago, Midweek-away-to-Lossie said:

Two of the worst full-backs I've ever seen yet still only managed a draw thanks to a 96th minute equaliser?

Burrell's still here, still scoring for fun 🙂

The only one though. He doesn’t like it physical and Lang will eat him alive. Where is Burrell going to? Down South this month is the rumours. 

3 hours ago, BPM Again said:

The only one though. He doesn’t like it physical and Lang will eat him alive. Where is Burrell going to? Down South this month is the rumours. 

Perhaps but Burrell is a very different player who has made many a decent centre half look daft this season, don’t get me wrong I fully expect Falkirk to beat us next week but I fancy him to score and prove his point. 

On the transfer front I wonder if Aberdeen will try and persuade us to take Aaron Reid now that they have recalled him from Peterhead where he wasn’t getting enough game time. Decent prospect by all accounts who was always unlikely to get a regular game once Rory went back there. No replacement for Burrell and we need experienced players but perhaps might just offer more than Mitch currently is. Anyway I wonder why any decent kids would come to us anyway as after a week they know the fraud won’t play them unless someone is stretchered off or he has no other options. Stagnant isn’t the word. 

I heard from someone connected with Arbroath what’s on offer in the loan market and at that leveL and it was grim. I imagine at our level it will be sub grim. 

Edited by Watson Nimrod