Preseasonwatch 2019-20

On 08/06/2019 at 17:15, GNU_Linux said:
On 08/06/2019 at 15:17, HibeeJibee said:
Updated again, including swathe of new games and Kinnoull.

Tragically the game on Sunday 7th July isn't Tweedmouth v Cromarty: it's Kieran Cromarty's testimonial involving Tweedmouth emoji38.png!

There was me thinking the Delorean was getting busted out for a spin as the only club from the village of Cromarty I could find folded in 1889

I’ve seen Cromarty play! They used to put a team in the Ross-Shire Welfare league. Would’ve been 2009ish, don’t know if they still do though

56 minutes ago, lowenan said:

Start of the new season today. 18:45 KO

Earliest friendly I can remember lowenan. Haven’t been to Duns for a couple of years and quite fancied it but a bit too tight for time unfortunately. 

It remains very unusual to have a pre-season program more than 4 weeks long - and 3 still appears to be the most common.

Tweedmouth, Dunipace, Edinburgh United and Oakely are all underway earlier than that this season as well as Cumbernauld and Gala in LL, Lochar in SOSL, and Strathspey in SOSL. From what I can see only Tweedmouth and Dunipace have more than a single game though. There is actually another game tonight Golspie v Strathspey (which is even more surprising as the North Caledonian season doesn't usually start until late into August).

In some cases they've had a long closed season having finished in mid-April. Whether it actually makes a difference come the end of July and/or later in the season? Debateable, IMO.

11 minutes ago, HibeeJibee said:

There is actually another game tonight Golspie v Strathspey (which is even more surprising as the North Caledonian season doesn't usually start until late into August).

Anything to do with the Golspie gala day? Don’t know when that is but would make some sense... 

3 minutes ago, HibeeJibee said:

Who knows: twitters haven't posted since March and February respectively, neither has a website, Golspie's FB doesn't post, Strathspey's just calls it a friendly. Still town crier and carrier-pigeon "up north"?!

It is in Golspie!

My secret hide-out when I lived up there, 43 miles for a decent chippy and always great craic! Love the place ❤️

Unlike the Juniors there is no date restriction - although even it was liberalised a couple of years ago, IIRC, and now varies between region.

Approval also gives SFA an opportunity to vet any friendlies versus clubs from other FAs (which have to be approved by both nations), plus allows leagues to not approve any which clash with competitive games.

What I don't fully understand is why the approved list never ends-up having all the friendlies which happen on it - unless they don't update it too rigorously, or some fix-up their own refs.

Dunipace 0-1 Edinburgh Utd

List in opening post updated again.

This is a list of when clubs appear to be starting their friendlies: to date Burntisland and Stirling Uni EOS do not seem to have announced any friendlies.

midweek        Tweedmouth
Sat 22 Jun     Dunipace, Edinburgh Utd
midweek        Oakley
Sat 29 Jun     Arniston, Blackburn, Craigroyston, Jeanfield, Linlithgow, Penicuik, St Andrews
midweek        Coldstream, Leith, Tynecastle
Sat 06 Jul       Bo'ness, Dunbar, Dundonald, Inverkeithing, Musselburgh, Ormiston, Preston, Whitehill
midweek         Camelon, Crossgates, Hawick, Peebles, Tranent
Sat 13 Jul       Broxburn, Dalkeith, Glenrothes, Haddington, Heriot-Watt, Hill of Beath, Sauchie
midweek         Easthouses
Sat 20 Jul       Kinnoull, LTHV, Newtongrange

51 minutes ago, HibeeJibee said:

List updated again.

St Andrews v Petershill due this Saturday has been cancelled due to Junior ban on playing before first Saturday in July:

https://teamwebsites.co.uk/clubs/standrewsunited/petershill-friendly-cancelled/

That must be one of the oddest rules in the SJFA (and that takes some doing!). What's the issue with 2 teams playing a friendly in June? If both sides agree it, I see no reason to ban it from happening.

It's an archaic sjfa rule that no one, not even the clubs can understand or even appreciate. Particularly when the season starts earlier now.

55 minutes ago, gogsy said:

Looks like Hill of Beath v Kelty is off, Kelty looking for new opponents for 16th July.  Tayport have pulled out of Keltys four team tournament, Kelty once again looking for new opponents.

Tayport looking for their third manager in two months. 

Any idea why HOB and Glenrothes pulled out of their friendlies at Central Park?