The AEW Thread

TheGoon

21 minutes ago, FairWeatherFan said:

It wouldn't shock me to see FTR turn up in the NWA. If they're playing the angle of it nearly being over, why not go for the one historic set of titles they've never held.

What's the script with FTR, is it an angle or legit based of Cash's injury?

They are an unbelievably talented team as everyone knows and Dax is a great talker, I don't understand why it hasn't clicked they way it should. They ought to never be far from the conversation when talking about tag team championships.

Out of the recent 'gets' for AEW, Adam Cole is probably the one that stands out purely because they went head to head with WWE for his services and won the day.

That in itself is pretty massive, even discounting the fact that his partner and mates work in AEW, the earning potential and exposure in WWE is far higher and he was certainly in demand, even acknowledging that the meeting with Vince pre-Smackdown where Vince set out a plan for him in an attempt to get him signed up, did happen.

He was the cornerstone of NXT for 4 years and they definitely should have pulled the trigger earlier on him in terms of a call-up so it's huge to see AEW pry him away.

42 minutes ago, FairWeatherFan said:

I don't see the roster thing as an issue. They've just started Rampage. You've got the likes of Moxley appearing on GCW, Archer doing NJPW. If people aren't being used they aren't stuck in catering. They can go work elsewhere.

It wouldn't shock me to see FTR turn up in the NWA. If they're playing the angle of it nearly being over, why not go for the one historic set of titles they've never held.

The balancing act might be more the women's division. There were moments in the battle royale where I thought certain pairings would make a good feud. Problem is they're going to need more than one TV match a show to work that in.

Of course the stacked roster is going to be an issue. That's one of the main reasons WCW folded and probably the biggest reason WWE struggle aside from Vince liking what Vince likes.

4 minutes ago, Merkland Red said:

Of course the stacked roster is going to be an issue. That's one of the main reasons WCW folded and probably the biggest reason WWE struggle aside from Vince liking what Vince likes.

WCW did not fold because of its roster. WWE do struggle with it, but in the sense they employ hundreds of wrestlers and it’s the same 20 guys on TV every single week. 

3 minutes ago, TheGoon said:

WCW did not fold because of its roster. WWE do struggle with it, but in the sense they employ hundreds of wrestlers and it’s the same 20 guys on TV every single week. 

I didn't say it was why. I said it was a reason why. You sign these guys to multi year contracts on high salary and then it gets harder and harder to justify pushing the new younger talent. Then everyone gets sick of seeing the same guys on top for years.

Punk, Bryan and Cole were easy gets for AEW. They'd be stupid not to go for them. I still think that roster is bloated and not in a good way. We'll see how forgiving the wrestling public are when AEW decide it's pointless keeping guys on the wage bill while they're doing nothing.

Cole made the wrong move IMHO but I hope it works out as well for him as he hopes. Always comes across as a very likeable guy.

22 minutes ago, Merkland Red said:

WCW folded because of nonsensical booking such as putting the championships on actors and the head booker himself, hard roster resets and the likes, resulting in viewers deserting them and in turn leading to the network pulling TV show.

A stacked or bloated roster had nothing to do with it. If they were still pulling in the viewing figures, the folk in charge would have happily continued to sign the cheques.

Edited by djchapsticks

1 minute ago, djchapsticks said:

WCW folded because of nonsensical booking such as putting the championships on actors and the head booker himself, hard roster resets and the likes, resulting in viewers deserting them and in turn leading to the network pulling TV show.

A stacked or bloated roster had nothing to do with it. If they were still pulling in the viewing figures, the folk in charge would have happily continued to sign the cheques.

And how did WCW get to that stage? They didn't just randomly put the championship on an actor during a successful period did they? It was throwing shit at the wall hoping something will stick.

I don't know how anyone can look at the roster and say it wasn't bloated. Look at the amount of guys wasting away in the nWo for a start.

2 minutes ago, Merkland Red said:

And how did WCW get to that stage? They didn't just randomly put the championship on an actor during a successful period did they? It was throwing shit at the wall hoping something will stick.

I don't know how anyone can look at the roster and say it wasn't bloated. Look at the amount of guys wasting away in the nWo for a start.

Literally no-one saying that. It wasn't the reason for their troubles though. Bad booking took care of that.

9 minutes ago, Merkland Red said:

I didn't say it was why. I said it was a reason why. You sign these guys to multi year contracts on high salary and then it gets harder and harder to justify pushing the new younger talent. Then everyone gets sick of seeing the same guys on top for years.

Punk, Bryan and Cole were easy gets for AEW. They'd be stupid not to go for them. I still think that roster is bloated and not in a good way. We'll see how forgiving the wrestling public are when AEW decide it's pointless keeping guys on the wage bill while they're doing nothing.

Cole made the wrong move IMHO but I hope it works out as well for him as he hopes. Always comes across as a very likeable guy.

Creative and a lack of support at Turner killed WCW, not the contracts these guys were on. Their complete inability to book them correctly (whilst still establishing their own acts) led to the downturn in business. They let Jericho, Benoit, Malenko, Wight, Mysterio, Eddie etc go, or flounder because they had no clue what to do with them, and the likes of Hogan & Nash wanted nothing to do with them. They even fucked up Goldberg, absolutely killed him. 

AEW are not dealing with Hogan, or guys that have creative control clauses in their contracts. It’s a completely different situation and the likes of MJF, Darby, Jungle Boy, Baker, Guevara, Hangman etc are clearly still over, and still going to be prominent features. Bryan, Punk, Christian & Cole get that as well.  

33 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

What's the script with FTR, is it an angle or legit based of Cash's injury?

They are an unbelievably talented team as everyone knows and Dax is a great talker, I don't understand why it hasn't clicked they way it should. They ought to never be far from the conversation when talking about tag team championships.

The fact they've had a match since tells me they're going to have more.

12 minutes ago, Merkland Red said:

The roster wasn't why WCW folded. Roster dynamics were an issue for them in the 80s, early 90s and right through to the end. They folded because the future AOL Time Warner didn't care enough to keep them around like good old Uncle Ted.

A stacked roster is never a problem. As people come and go. An empty roster is what can kill a company. Look at how AWA and ECW ended and what would have been the slow lingering death spiral of TNA.

Just now, Merkland Red said:

Yes. Bad booking which came from trying to keep a multitude of big name stars happy!

Right, and what happened in 2000 when the big names were mostly gone, or at home? It was still hot garbage, despite the likes of Booker & Steiner’s best efforts. The company was a circus, and anyone half competent would not have squandered that 97 roster - even with the politics.

Just now, TheGoon said:

Right, and what happened in 2000 when the big names were mostly gone, or at home? It was still hot garbage, despite the likes of Booker & Steiner’s best efforts. The company was a circus, and anyone half competent would not have squandered that 97 roster - even with the politics.

Yes. They'd fucked it beyond repair. 

Keeping all the guys happy is going to be a near impossible job, especially for an inexperienced booker. In two years time you're going to see guys jumping back and they'll be critical of how they were treated but that Tony Khan is a great guy.

It won't be long before they create more titles to keep guys relevant. There's only so long you get by on great matches'.

2 minutes ago, TheGoon said:

For good or ill, AEW will survive for the same reasons that the WWE have. They don't have an absentee owner. Unless that changes they'll be fine.

Yes. They'd fucked it beyond repair. 

Keeping all the guys happy is going to be a near impossible job, especially for an inexperienced booker. In two years time you're going to see guys jumping back and they'll be critical of how they were treated but that Tony Khan is a great guy.

It won't be long before they create more titles to keep guys relevant. There's only so long you get by on great matches'.

You’re basing that on a company that went out of business 20 years ago, for much more complex reasons than you’re making out.

I would say there's a slight difference between the wrestlers today brought up as fans, compared to the lads from the 80s talent scouted while working the door at a strip club or down the local gym.

As for going back and forth. That's no bad thing and was the norm. What's happened in the last 20 years is people think they're tied to a company for life.

By the way BTE is up.

The WWF literally had The Rock, Stone Cold, Foley, Triple H, Angle & Undertaker in their main event scene, and a ridiculous supporting cast. Difference being? They (mostly) used them correctly and made an exciting product that utilised all of them. 

1 minute ago, FairWeatherFan said:

I would say there's a slight difference between the wrestlers today brought up as fans, compared to the lads from the 80s talent scouted while working the door at a strip club or down the local gym.

As for going back and forth. That's no bad thing and was the norm. What's happened in the last 20 years is people think they're tied to a company for life.

By the way BTE is up.

If guys are jumping back across it's because they've either been offered a better deal or they haven't been used properly. There's only so much room at the top of the card. Eventually people get sick of not being able to break in to that spot. There's only so much you can give guys to do before they're essentially devalued.