The AEW Thread

TheGoon

2 hours ago, FairWeatherFan said:

The fact they've had a match since tells me they're going to have more.

I'm aware I could be getting totally worked here but they just seem to have an air of pissed off about them.

They were even talking the match up as them potentially being done - sure I read that Cash's arm injury caused some pretty severe nerve damage.

2 minutes ago, Merkland Red said:

No you didn't.

I literally said above. RAW has done it twice since Legends night in January, by about 100k viewers, why would TNT be expecting consistently more, on way less money? 

2 minutes ago, TheGoon said:

I literally said above. RAW has done it twice since Legends night in January, by about 100k viewers, why would TNT be expecting consistently more, on way less money? 

You didn't say consistently. Smackdown manages it though.

I never said TNT would be expecting it. I said they'd be hoping for it. Improvement targets, something every company has.

2 hours ago, Merkland Red said:

It won't be long before they create more titles to keep guys relevant. There's only so long you get by on great matches'.

I mean they could realistically add a lower weight championship (or something similar to the X Division) and a Trios championship and I don't think currently that anyone would bat an eyelid or think that they were doing so just to keep guys relevant. Both could currently be created without many eyebrows being raised because there is a gap for both. 

1 minute ago, Merkland Red said:

You didn't say consistently. Smackdown manages it though.

I never said TNT would be expecting it. I said they'd be hoping for it. Improvement targets, something every company has.

D’you know why SmackDown manages it…? 

8 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

I'm aware I could be getting totally worked here but they just seem to have an air of pissed off about them.

They were even talking the match up as them potentially being done - sure I read that Cash's arm injury caused some pretty severe nerve damage.

They turned down the truck of money from Vince and it's not worked out for them since. Diluted their worth wherever they want to go next you'd imagine. What a waste. Fantastic tag team.

8 minutes ago, TheGoon said:

…You do realise they’re on network? 

No. Smackdown manages it because enough people want to see it. Raw consistently gets around 1.8m viewers despite being nowhere near as good in comparison. Jericho himself has said he expects them to beat Raws ratings. Raws ratings aren't dropping that low so AEW's will have to grow.

To suggest TNT (edit) wouldn't be hoping for 2m is just nonsense. You know that though that's why you claim I said 'expected'. Constantly shifting the goal posts.

Edited by Merkland Red

8 minutes ago, Merkland Red said:

They turned down the truck of money from Vince and it's not worked out for them since. Diluted their worth wherever they want to go next you'd imagine. What a waste. Fantastic tag team.

A tag team title reign, part of of one of the biggest factions in the company, wins against some of the best tag teams in the world? I'm not going to pretend their AEW run has been perfect, far from it but they've said themselves they left WWE as they were due to be turned into a joke team but yeah, leaving that has tainted their legacy 

5 minutes ago, Merkland Red said:

No. Smackdown manages it because enough people want to see it. Raw consistently gets around 1.8m viewers despite being nowhere near as good in comparison. Jericho himself has said he expects them to beat Raws ratings. Raws ratings aren't dropping that low so AEW's will have to grow.

To suggest TNT (edit) wouldn't be hoping for 2m is just nonsense. You know that though that's why you claim I said 'expected'. Constantly shifting the goal posts.

What!? Why in god’s name do you think they just suddenly decided to make SmackDown the A show in 2019 :lol: It’s in hundreds of millions more homes. This is wild.

“Hoping” is different from expecting too, but you quite clearly know nothing about the TV landscape in America.  

1 minute ago, Bert Raccoon said:

A tag team title reign, part of of one of the biggest factions in the company, wins against some of the best tag teams in the world? I'm not going to pretend their AEW run has been perfect, far from it but they've said themselves they left WWE as they were due to be turned into a joke team but yeah, leaving that has tainted their legacy 

They weren't used well in WWE at all. Don't think anyone can argue otherwise. I'm saying if they're finished in AEW then they likely aren't going to earn "f**k you money" anytime soon.

3 minutes ago, TheGoon said:

What!? Why in god’s name do you think they just suddenly decided to make SmackDown the A show in 2019 :lol: It’s in hundreds of millions more homes. This is wild.

“Hoping” is different from expecting too, but you quite clearly know nothing about the TV landscape in America.  

They made Smackdown the A show because they signed a billion dollar contract. Fairly simple stuff. It was on network television before and treated like the B show. Wasn't it?

Just now, Merkland Red said:

They made Smackdown the A show because they signed a billion dollar contract. Fairly simple stuff. It was on network television before and treated like the B show. Wasn't it?

Oh for god’s sake mate, no. They went from being aired on basically Bravo to ITV. 

30 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

I mean they could realistically add a lower weight championship (or something similar to the X Division) and a Trios championship and I don't think currently that anyone would bat an eyelid or think that they were doing so just to keep guys relevant. Both could currently be created without many eyebrows being raised because there is a gap for both. 

Weight divisions won't happen. Something they've always been against from day one. The Bucks and Omega had to go through the whole Jr grading in Japan before "graduating" to heavyweight. They know it means being boxed in.

Trios have been talked about and constantly rumoured online. I'm not sure I see the value in them personally. Women's Tag Titles would at least force them to do something more with the women's division.

7 minutes ago, Merkland Red said:

Enjoy the rest of your evening.

I’ve just realised you’re the same guy that thought CM Punk needed squash matches as well. Fair play for so openly broadcasting these mental views.

45 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

I don't know what their plans are going to be. Even before the injury there was mention of Dax(?) retiring by 40, which admittedly is a few years away.

My take on it is they're workers. However bad the injury was, they've been able to work a match since then. I don't know if there's a run in them left but I wouldn't be shocked to see them wrestle again.

Interesting to see where they go with the tag team titles now, obvious choice for next champions would be Santana & Ortiz who seem massively popular now but that's a fair bit down the line so interesting to see what's coming next, if The Bucks continue the feud or a completely different team