Clyde FC; Season 2022-23

48 minutes ago, ScottR96 said:

The amount of people that now seem to be of the opinion that we had a great chance of staying up when Duffy took over, and that relegation is entirely his fault is absolutely nuts. 

I’m no fan of the guy or his football but  there is an awful lot of rewriting of history going on here. 

Why would a Board, even ours sack a manager during the season and have to pay him off, employ another unless the brief was to “keep us up”?

38 minutes ago, Harry Hood Fan Club said:

Why would a Board, even ours sack a manager during the season and have to pay him off, employ another unless the brief was to “keep us up”?

We had to get rid of the previous manager because he’d assembled an abhorrently bad group of players and presided over the club’s worst run in 50 odd years.

It may well have been Duffy’s brief to try and keep us in the league but at the fans meeting at NDP a few days after he was announced, it was clear to me and everyone else there that it was just simply not going to happen. The damage was done. You could argue then, that he had 6 months to prepare the squad for a handful of key games and failed to do so. Mistakes were definitely made in the run up to the play offs imo but there’s no doubt we had managed to gather a bit of momentum and in the end a few things went against us in the play offs which made it nigh on impossible. 

As for the concerns about how hands on Duffy will be as DoF - that wasn’t really his style as a manager so I don’t see why people would think he’s going to be facilitating training, being in and around the dressing room on match days, in the dugout etc. The only other time I can remember having a DoF was Neil Watt when Stuart Millar as manager. Latterly he ended up in the dugout when things had gone completely tits up but it wasn’t the case initially - Millar was given a chance and although he ultimately failed, McLean deserves his chance too and should be moved on if it doesn’t work.

Hopefully we’ll get a clearer picture of how it’s going to work in practice at the meeting next week, however I’m hopeful he’ll be bringing his own ideas to the table as opposed to being a “puppet” to Duffy, as if he’s some evil overlord.  

2 hours ago, Harry Hood Fan Club said:

You don’t really know this lt do you?

Of course they care about reaction from fans and if Duffy had been appointed manager the season tickets, which is their lifeblood in close season would have dried up even more. 
If you think Duffy has been briefed to let McLean have full autonomy with the team with nothing but a badge and half a season as player coach under his belt, I’m surprised.

oh the list of clerical faux pas is longer than just losing us the title in our promotion season, but don’t underestimate the strategising- 

they have effectively handed a failed manager total responsibility for the football  dept and stepped away to get on with the social stuff and trying to secure Crown Point

Wonder  if they are calculating the potential issues if Celtic proceed with their vision of building a 5k seater stadium for their ladies team on the Barrowfield site- pretty sure that will be offered to local community clubs to use.

I’m afraid things don’t look so good- be delighted to be proved very wrong.

I very much doubt the Community will get anywhere near a stadium at Barrowfield, it’s been there for decades and no one gets a sniff of it.

If they build a new facility it will no doubt be a grass park which they will protect for the woman team(s) and the so so vitally important B team. 

1 hour ago, ScottR96 said:

... McLean deserves his chance too and should be moved on if it doesn’t work.

What's McLean done to deserve his chance as the Clyde head coach anymore than 101 other potential candidates who have never been considered?

I could understand your sentiment if it happened after a rigorous selection process.

I do hope the appointment is a success. However, I just don't understand why we didn't widen the search.

It's our equivalent of Neil Lennon being offered the Celtic manager's job in the shower.

1 hour ago, ScottR96 said:

We had to get rid of the previous manager because he’d assembled an abhorrently bad group of players and presided over the club’s worst run in 50 odd years.

It may well have been Duffy’s brief to try and keep us in the league but at the fans meeting at NDP a few days after he was announced, it was clear to me and everyone else there that it was just simply not going to happen. The damage was done. You could argue then, that he had 6 months to prepare the squad for a handful of key games and failed to do so. Mistakes were definitely made in the run up to the play offs imo but there’s no doubt we had managed to gather a bit of momentum and in the end a few things went against us in the play offs which made it nigh on impossible. 

As for the concerns about how hands on Duffy will be as DoF - that wasn’t really his style as a manager so I don’t see why people would think he’s going to be facilitating training, being in and around the dressing room on match days, in the dugout etc. The only other time I can remember having a DoF was Neil Watt when Stuart Millar as manager. Latterly he ended up in the dugout when things had gone completely tits up but it wasn’t the case initially - Millar was given a chance and although he ultimately failed, McLean deserves his chance too and should be moved on if it doesn’t work.

Hopefully we’ll get a clearer picture of how it’s going to work in practice at the meeting next week, however I’m hopeful he’ll be bringing his own ideas to the table as opposed to being a “puppet” to Duffy, as if he’s some evil overlord.  

His recruitment was never good -but the Board kept offering him new contracts and good ones at that. His stats were actually better than Duffy's ironically.

Are you saying that the Board had accepted that relegation was inevitable?

So Duffy had 4 games against lower league opposition to save our League 1 status and failed. He won one out 4.

I have no idea why McLean with no track record deserves his chance and even less idea why Jim Duffy deserves to be placed in charge of the football department....can only hope his predecessor has left no notes.

So Clyde are resigned to offering an untried manager at any level his shot....when we should be doing everything possible to bounce back up....I doubt that will happen and if the worst happens and we go out of league 2.......well no former league club has managed to return as yet.

All this talk about Dufball etc….seriously, does anyone care how we play as long as we’re winning. It’s farcical to think that we should have any style of play. A winning one would do.   As for McLean, an untried prospect. Spoke to him once and he seemed genuinely understanding of how bad things were and was apologetic for it…I wish him luck. 

9 hours ago, ScottR96 said:

So we knew 6 months ago that relegation was almost inevitable and yet here we are with 3 signed players, weeks of prep behind our rivals already, scratching around in the dirt for scraps AGAIN.

Duffy is a dinosaur, we should’ve appointed someone with vision and a plan so at least if we did go down, as was highly likely even back, then at least we’d be in a strong position for next season.

As it is I am already very concerned about what lies ahead.

The most important thing just now is recruitment, argue all you like about tactics, but if there’s one thing we know for certain, it’s that Duffy should be kept well clear of sourcing players, he’s left us with 3 signed players, that are no better than you would see at any amateur game on a Sunday morning.

24 minutes ago, shawfielder said:

The most important thing just now is recruitment, argue all you like about tactics, but if there’s one thing we know for certain, it’s that Duffy should be kept well clear of sourcing players, he’s left us with 3 signed players, that are no better than you would see at any amateur game on a Sunday morning.

Good job we’ve got a recruitment team for that ….

11 hours ago, Bob731 said:

All this talk about Dufball etc….seriously, does anyone care how we play as long as we’re winning. 

The issue with "Duffball is that it's never been about winning but not losing.

And it's fucking boring to watch.

13 hours ago, Bob731 said:

All this talk about Dufball etc….seriously, does anyone care how we play as long as we’re winning. It’s farcical to think that we should have any style of play. A winning one would do.   As for McLean, an untried prospect. Spoke to him once and he seemed genuinely understanding of how bad things were and was apologetic for it…I wish him luck. 

But, he’s proved he’s not very good at winning… is that not the point rather than describing his brand of football? 

30 minutes ago, Harry Hood Fan Club said:

But, he’s proved he’s not very good at winning… is that not the point rather than describing his brand of football? 

I get that, but I wasn’t saying that he’s been any good either. He shipped out half the squad as soon as he could on loan or whatever, and what little money which was probably left, highlighted how much money Lennon had wasted. If McLean ball is winning games by 1-0, I’ll take that. 

4 hours ago, shawfielder said:

it’s that Duffy should be kept well clear of sourcing players,

Unfortunately as DoF this will be his main remit

The head coach role is to get fit, coach and decide tactics for the players he is given.  Generally the head coach has little to no influence in who those players actually are

3 hours ago, Bob731 said:

I get that, but I wasn’t saying that he’s been any good either. He shipped out half the squad as soon as he could on loan or whatever, and what little money which was probably left, highlighted how much money Lennon had wasted. If McLean ball is winning games by 1-0, I’ll take that. 

Wouldn’t we all, but the best way to predict the future performance of Duffy is to analyse his past performance- doesn’t inspire confidence that he will be providing the rookie coach with much to create McLean ball with- add to that the much heralded lack of funds and that was before plenty have announced they won’t be buying season tickets.

Your optimism is admirable particularly for someone who packed it in several times last season.

More comebacks than Sinatra, with respect.

Edited by Harry Hood Fan Club
Spelling

5 hours ago, Harry Hood Fan Club said:

Wouldn’t we all, but the best way to predict the future performance of Duffy is to analyse his past performance- doesn’t inspire confidence that he will be providing the rookie coach with much to create McLean ball with- add to that the much heralded lack of funds and that was before plenty have announced they won’t be buying season tickets.

Your optimism is admirable particularly for someone who packed it in several times last season.

More comebacks than Sinatra, with respect.

True lol