Clyde FC; Season 2022-23

16 minutes ago, FREDDYFRY said:

The issue despite the board offering alternative proposal is that B Teams are still included.

I actually think an additional league featuring ‘Lowland. And Highland league’ is appealing however not with any B team in it. That is the fundamental line in the sand for me.

Pity the club never seem to be caving to the financial bribe like perhaps some others? So my vote will be a NO to conference league as long a B team is included. 

And it’s not even particularly tempting bribes. FFS, is £40k the going rate for a lower league team to drop its knickers?

I am sure that statement was intended as a balanced, devil's advocate kind of thing.

Obviously it just makes us look pathetic and gives the "sack the board" camp even more ammo. They are directionless and completely out of touch. How something like that ends up published is beyond me.

Hopefully the vote is a unanimous no.

24 minutes ago, Brian Carrigan said:

To be honest, I don’t think any extra step in the pyramid which essentially relegates every team below League 2 is fair or appealing in any sense.

The pyramid was opened up so that L2 could be the league that features LL and HL teams. Introducing another step isn’t necessary.

As far as the B teams go, just reintroduce a competitive reserve league.

Agree, no need for an extra step of nation wide coverage at all. The highland league (and in fact the full northern part of the pyramid) is already severely lacking in quality. Outside the top 5 or 6 teams it’s mostly dross compared to the southern catchment. That’s without stripping another few of the better teams off.

A far better idea would be to condense leagues one and two into a bigger league to remove a tier and avoid playing everyone four times. Coupled with a bigger championship this may even allow for extra teams to join the SPFL proper. Just not b-teams please. 

In theory I don't mind the board trying to put out a vaguely balanced message before asking the members their opinion but that statement is just a rambling mess.

They also forget that what a positive difference a strong, timely statement can make. If you go all the way back to Rangers going bust, for example. Rangers along with the league themselves, tried to bully other clubs to force Rangers back into tier 2 so they could be back in the top tier within a year. Clyde were one of the first clubs to come out with a very strong statement opposing that and got a lot of praise from both our own and other clubs fans for doing so. Whereas on the Conference league it's taken us weeks and weeks to say anything at all, and then when we do speak it's a meek, poorly worded statement that doesn't truely indicate the board's position.

There was the making of a decent statement somewhere in there - like taking the smallest of swipes at the Lowland League for allowing B teams in and neglecting clubs trying to reach that level - but it's undermined by all the other waffle.

Edited by Jaggy Snake

I havent decided but needing some clarification here..

Weve been offered to vote on a league between L2 and LL where a lot of us think were heading but the conference suggestion isnt a good idea to some??!

Tell me why a safety net one above the LL is a bad idea please or am i missing something?!

Genuine Question

Edited by shawfield shed boy

3 minutes ago, shawfield shed boy said:

Weve been offered to vote on a league between L2 and LL where a lot of us think were heading but the conference isnt a good idea..

Tell me why a safety net one above the LL is a bad idea please or am i missing something?!

It’s being touted as financially better, but are games against colts teams every other weeks with no crowds remotely interesting for anyone?

49 minutes ago, shawfield shed boy said:

Weve been offered to vote on a league between L2 and LL where a lot of us think were heading but the conference suggestion isnt a good idea to some??!

Genuine Question

Looking at it from a purely selfish Clyde orientated view I can see what you are getting at and if that’s how you feel then fair does. 

However my opinion is as follows

A league being created purely to benefit the same old faces in Scottish football, whilst they slowly boil the frog to try and get their B teams access to the top 42. 

It would relegate 200 clubs through no fault of their own and puts more hurdles in place of clubs that have done things the right way by developing facilities, investing in their squads and getting SFA licenses to try and break into the top 42. There is no sporting integrity in changing the goal posts for money, fear or incompetency in order to increase the gulf and disparity in Scottish football. Whilst we are on sporting integrity since the Colt teams can’t be relegated you could theoretically have a decent season, finish  6th in the conference league and end up relegated because the Colt sides are protected. 

Teams like ours may well want it because it’s a safety net but to be absolutely blunt if you can’t operate and compete at a league 2 level then you shouldn’t be there. Much like the championship playoffs in which the premier league team is protected, Team 42 is also incredibly protected, for the same reasons. Self preservation, not wanting others to have a piece of the pie whilst being able to do the bare minimum to stay where you are.

I would rather our board look at ways to compete and operate at our level rather than put safety nets in place at the detriment of others. If there is no motivation to do so then they will not do it 

Edited by Ocelot1877

12 minutes ago, shawfield shed boy said:

Weve been offered to vote on a league between L2 and LL where a lot of us think were heading but the conference isnt a good idea..

If you are in that bad a state that you finish as club 42 and get relegated next season, how much of a safety net is it going to be when the Conference League has automatic relegation and you could go down by finishing lowest of the six non-B teams (or even via the play-off as second bottom)? 

2 hours ago, Jaggy Snake said:

There was the making of a decent statement somewhere in there - like taking the smallest of swipes at the Lowland League for allowing B teams in and neglecting clubs trying to reach that level - but it's undermined by all the other waffle.

Seems to be saying that since the Lowland League was founded by application and there were off-field criteria then that justifies the conference league being created... except that the LL had to prioritise those who would be able to meet licensing criteria (as a licence would eventually be required) and the LL wasn't another national tier.

The Lowland Football League was founded by a vote at the SFA AGM in 2013 with clubs invited to join the new league.  Many clubs now in the pyramid chose not to apply at that time but nonetheless a precedent was set that on-field success would not be the sole, or indeed main criteria for entry to the 5th tier. Therefore, the surprise at the current process of introducing another tier into the Scottish game is forgetting precedent. At that time only three clubs were introduced solely on the basis of their achievement on the park.  

We all know that anything which suits the OF will be pushed, that the only way lower league football will get air time is if it gives the media an excuse for even more coverage of the big two, that (quelle surprise) the OF ladies meet in the Cup Final already and get  TV coverage when the 3rd and 4th tier men's sides are lucky to even have their results mentioned - and we are long since used to that slight.  And as has already been pointed out, our board are clearly all for this Conference League f***wittedness because it provides an extra layer of buffer against where their incompetence looks to be taking us.

But, frankly, right now I would rather have their views on why we have no head coach, no new signings, no statement of intent to chase a return back upstairs as a priority and are having to draw our own conclusions as to what being 'competitive' is a euphemism for!

Right now it looks like the purchase of a season ticket will be a pointless  exercise (pun fully intended!).

7 hours ago, Walk Glasgow said:

But, frankly, right now I would rather have their views on why we have no head coach, no new signings, no statement of intent to chase a return back upstairs as a priority and are having to draw our own conclusions as to what being 'competitive' is a euphemism for!

This is really sticking in my craw at the moment. 

We haven’t even heard if the players who have been offered terms have signed or rejected. The initial statement was last Thursday morning so the outcome of most of these offers will mostly be known.

At a time where our competitors in the league are signing players hand over foot, it’s extremely worrying that we only have 3 signed up when the likes of Mark Durnan, Blair Malcolm, Gregor Buchanan, Ross Meechan, James Berry etc would all have been valuable to us and are all great signings for this level. 

Edited by Brian Carrigan

Just now, Clyde01 said:

If we were to be relegated from League 2 (which obviously we all want to avoid) then I would much rather play in the lowland league than a shitey 10 team hodgepodge with 4 b-teams in it.

I can’t imagine anything worse than 12 games against Colt teams in a season.

1 minute ago, Brian Carrigan said:

I can’t imagine anything worse than 12 games against Colt teams in a season.

Even worse, 16 games against them in this conference proposal. With big games against the like of Brora and Stirling Uni to spice things up. 

13 hours ago, David W said:

I am sure that statement was intended as a balanced, devil's advocate kind of thing.

Obviously it just makes us look pathetic and gives the "sack the board" camp even more ammo. They are directionless and completely out of touch. How something like that ends up published is beyond me.

Hopefully the vote is a unanimous no.

Not to mention the opening smart arse paragraph. They don’t have the right to attempt crap like that with their track record.

Wonder who penned that particular nonsense.

🐑

Surely financially over a season you would lose more money through loss of crowds more than anything, the colt teams bring next to nothing as we’ve seen in the cup games and the lowland league has hardly had a huge upturn in attendances. 

As for the current management/playing squad, I’m not worried yet as it’ll take a while to interview a new manager, I do hope we’ve set a deadline for anyone offered a new deal though so we know what we have for a new manager coming in. 

2 minutes ago, SLClyde said:

Surely financially over a season you would lose more money through loss of crowds more than anything, the colt teams bring next to nothing as we’ve seen in the cup games and the lowland league has hardly had a huge upturn in attendances. 

As for the current management/playing squad, I’m not worried yet as it’ll take a while to interview a new manager, I do hope we’ve set a deadline for anyone offered a new deal though so we know what we have for a new manager coming in. 

That in itself is a problem- and another Board screw up. All other clubs picking up players whilst we look for a new manager. Has the post been openly advertised? In previous times we’ve seen an announcement on the website about “Clyde FC seek to appoint a new Manager” or in this case …. A head coach. 

5 minutes ago, Harry Hood Fan Club said:

That in itself is a problem- and another Board screw up. All other clubs picking up players whilst we look for a new manager. Has the post been openly advertised? In previous times we’ve seen an announcement on the website about “Clyde FC seek to appoint a new Manager” or in this case …. A head coach. 

Did think the other day there wasn’t a formal advertisement, quite often see clubs even on social media put a post out inviting applications. 

14 minutes ago, SLClyde said:

Did think the other day there wasn’t a formal advertisement, quite often see clubs even on social media put a post out inviting applications. 

This makes me think that Duffy is chasing bodies, as opposed to us inviting applications. 

26 minutes ago, Brian Carrigan said:

This makes me think that Duffy is chasing bodies, as opposed to us inviting applications. 

That's been his approach to signing players for the past 20 years, why change now?

An agent will call Duffy the day before your first League Cup game and dump a manager and half a dozen ringers at the doorstep.