Clyde FC; Season 2022-23

I'm certainly not panicking yet but we need to get back to a settled back four. McNiff and Cuddihy probably aren't good enough full backs for this level but they're the best we've got (unless we give Lyon another run at right back). 

Then we need to decide between Lang and Howie. Rumsby's consistency has been ridiculous since joining the club, and he's far more of a scrapper than the other two, so should probably keep his place. I'd then probably edge towards Howie for now, but it's a close call.

After that, as others have said, we need McStay and Rankin to get match fit again to get some shape back to our midfield.

7 minutes ago, Jaggy Snake said:

I'm certainly not panicking yet but we need to get back to a settled back four. McNiff and Cuddihy probably aren't good enough full backs for this level but they're the best we've got (unless we give Lyon another run at right back). 

Then we need to decide between Lang and Howie. Rumsby's consistency has been ridiculous since joining the club, and he's far more of a scrapper than the other two, so should probably keep his place. I'd then probably edge towards Howie for now, but it's a close call.

After that, as others have said, we need McStay and Rankin to get match fit again to get some shape back to our midfield.

It’s a dilemma all right. Back 3? Back 4?

If back 4 who will be the CB pairing?

I’d say with Howie starting at RB there’s a clue. A further clue for me is that Rumsby was subbed yesterday to re-organise with Howie moving inside to CB and Cuddihy going to RB.

It doesn’t suggest to me that Lang will be the one dropping to the bench if it’s a back 4.

A very tough decision which has been averted so far by shoehorning all 3 into the defence.

17 minutes ago, HughieMc said:

I’d say with Howie starting at RB there’s a clue. A further clue for me is that Rumsby was subbed yesterday to re-organise with Howie moving inside to CB and Cuddihy going to RB.

It doesn’t suggest to me that Lang will be the one dropping to the bench if it’s a back 4.

A very tough decision which has been averted so far by shoehorning all 3 into the defence.

I would agree with most of that but not sure Rumsby getting substituted yesterday means anything. Howie and Lang's use of the ball and general composure in possesion is far better and in a game we were already behind and hardly getting threatened on the counter we didn't really need Rumsby on there.

36 minutes ago, HughieMc said:

I'm not saying I think Lang will be dropped, just that would be my option just now.

Howie's playing right back because he's best equipped of the three to do so. Rumsby doesn't have the pace and Lang has previously shown himself to be poor there.

I wouldn't read much into a centreback going off while we were chasing a game.

Rumsby was subbed yesterday as he was having a dreadful game. He has struggled before against strikers like Doris but he also stuck two or three easy passes straight out of play.

Both Lang and Howie are better than him. It's tough on Rumsby who generally has played fine, but we would be a better team with those two at centre half. We will be able to play higher up the pitch and have better cover in behind both full backs which is something he struggles with.

I would agree with most of that but not sure Rumsby getting substituted yesterday means anything. Howie and Lang's use of the ball and general composure in possesion is far better and in a game we were already behind and hardly getting threatened on the counter we didn't really need Rumsby on there.
Unfortunately he was being beaten to headers all game by Doris who shouldn't be able to get off the ground. Rumsby wasn't getting too close on the deck either and it seemed to be Lang marking him anyway before Rumsby went off. Strange match.

42 minutes ago, Scotchpie said:

Three at the back with Love on the left of midfield with a n other more advanced. I'm sure we played this or similar at Falkirk away.

451 at Falkirk IIRC. If we had a 3rd centre back that day it's completely escaped me who it was.

What were folk expecting from this season? The amount of folk saying it’s been disappointing is surprising. With Falkirk, raith and airdrie all full time, the rest of the league are fairly well established league 1 teams I’m not delighted with our position but I wouldn’t have expected us to be much higher. 
There is always a massive overreaction when we lose a game. Also, the comment about Celtic putting us out the cup next week, do we expect anything other than that? Stupid comment. 

We've done pretty well against the 3 full time teams getting 10 points from them but have only taken 10 points from Forfar, Stranraer, Peterhead and Dumbarton. Some of the performances we've put in against them and the two games against Montrose have been awful.

Don't particularly wan to be critical, but why would you wait until the window closes to release a player?

If his wage was being made available it can't be used now???
League 1 and 2 clubs can still sign free agents and loans until the end of Feb. Hopefully Lennon has someone in mind.

For me we need a right back, left back, centre mid and striker for next season to have any chance of challenging for the playoffs. 

Cuddihy and McNiff arent natural full backs. We lack a centre mid with some serious dig. And other than Goodie we are weak as far as strikers are concerned.

Pleased with our keeper, centre backs and wingers. Grant, McStay etc are decent but we need some strengthening in there to compliment what they bring to the team.

48 minutes ago, SouthLanarkshireWhite said:

Don't particularly wan to be critical, but why would you wait until the window closes to release a player?

If his wage was being made available it can't be used now???

A few possibilities.....   

1. Player may not have wanted to go with 18 months left on contract and possibly no club to go to. May have taken time to negotiate him out and/or find him a new club.

2. Maybe targets for his freed up wage were not completed in time before window closed.

3. Maybe his wage was pre assigned to cover Lang or Wylde or Mitchell or Goodies new contract.

4. Maybe his wage will be utilised for loan players or free agents that we can still bring in until 28 Feb.

25 minutes ago, BullyWeeStonehouse said:

For me we need a right back, left back, centre mid and striker for next season to have any chance of challenging for the playoffs. 

Cuddihy and McNiff arent natural full backs. We lack a centre mid with some serious dig. And other than Goodie we are weak as far as strikers are concerned.

Pleased with our keeper, centre backs and wingers. Grant, McStay etc are decent but we need some strengthening in there to compliment what they bring to the team.

Then Lyon, Duffie and maybe Cuddihy need to go as well as McNiff and Lamont- we need to compete in this league, if even only for 4th spot.