Clyde FC; Season 2022-23

Don't really know what the plan is as regards Duffy. I still maintain that it may not prove the worst move from what was a big old snooker if he can fudge us through a play-off, but it'd probably take a few flukes late in the window - if he can manage them - for that to be any kind of a possibility. He's obviously a vacuum of joy and thoroughly uninspiring, which only exacerbates the current malaise, but Lennon had obviously lost the plot completely and our only other realistic option was to hire someone desperate for any kind of senior gig, which would be a very interesting pool of 'talent', no doubt. It was said above that Lennon tarnished his legacy this season but personally I now look upon his time at the club with neutrality more than anything over the piece. We all, naturally, hoped that this season would mark a departure from the recruitment and fortunes of the last couple, but really it ended up just being the exact same (or worse!), only wearing fancy knickers. Big Jim coming in as a cheap free hit makes some sense, but as I said at the top, I don't know what the thinking is beyond this season. Are we actively, scrupulously trying to identify and/or make enquiries about who our next long-term manager will be, or will we wait and see how the season plays out before either scrambling to recruit the next one or lazily handing out an extension? I think the answer to that ultimately will define the wisdom in re-hiring Duffy.  

Speaking of extensions, another layer of fear is that we are inevitably going to haemorrhage virtually everyone from this squad. The players we'd want to keep are probably the Grants, Cuddihy, Roberts, Cunningham and Allan, possibly Duthie (if he ever plays again) and Kennedy. It's hard to imagine that the definites won't have much better offers from teams around us, never mind the sugar daddied boys further down the food chain. Another massive rebuild on a tiny budget - what can possibly go wrong?

The board must carry the can for all this. It wasn't totally outwith the realms of possibility that Lennon would sign a better squad with a larger budget (you'd expect virtually anyone to do so), but there was a significant body of evidence showing that his recruitment was deeply flawed and as a result of that, willingly racking up such a large deficit over the course of the season was mental. The decision to extend his contract was, at the time, borderline with arguments for and against (one of the former being working with smaller budgets) but offering him a two-year deal alongside committing to such a big operating loss was a double-whammy of avoidable risk.

On the other hand, I do feel some sympathy for the board. The club obviously isn't operating at its maximum capacity off the pitch in its current circumstances, but trying to bridge the gap to other clubs with actual assets that can generate profit is a pretty thankless task. While the board is due criticism, they've made the right move in going balls-deep on Crownpoint, which represents our only realistic hope of owning and operating a facility which affords us the income streams which are open to so many of the similarly-sized clubs outperforming us at the moment. If that falls through then we're absolutely doomed, but I'm hopeful that what looks to be a fairly robust proposal (certainly compared with the bid of the competing party) will get that over the line for us. If it does get to that stage, then they'll have to back up the strong, cogent language in the proposal with immediate actions which root us firmly in that community and put the Foundation front and centre of the club's existence.

Tl;dr: a finished club - but wait, maybe hope to follow (probably not)!

14 minutes ago, Scott-Replay said:

Oh yeah? Well… well… I’ll get the Big Queen’s Park Administration/Liquidation Thread ready for you guys when it comes.

For the record, yes, I’m on the verge of tears.

At least when we're inevitably playing against each other in the WOSFL we'll have had a good laugh. It's utterly fuckin' abject for you boys.

As bad as we are, I think Peterhead may be slightly worse. Hard to imagine but the league table doesn't lie...not at this stage in the season. Given that, it's not outwith the realms of possibility that we manage to finish 9th and get into the relegation playoffs. If Duffy then manages to somehow steer us through the playoffs to secure League 1 status you just know he'll be lauded by the board as some sort of genius and awarded a 2-3 year contract. 

Considering this scenario it may well be preferable for us to go down this season, get Duffy to f**k and get someone in with a bit of passion and enthusiasm for the job. 

4 minutes ago, FREDDYFRY said:

As I alluded earlier I say to Duffy, thanks Jim but you are not staying on next season. Stay on till then if you want or walk, please yourself!

Are you confident our board won't offer him at least one more year come the end of the season? I wouldn't be surprised if they offer him the gig even if we are relegated given the general consensus seems to be these losses have f**k all to do with him as the poor soul has inherited Lennon's squad.

If we do somehow stay up, he's getting the job. I have no doubt about that. 

Edited by RutherGlen

7 minutes ago, RutherGlen said:

Are you confident our board won't offer him at least one more year come the end of the season? I wouldn't be surprised if they offer him the gig even if we are relegated given the general consensus seems to be these losses have f**k all to do with him as the poor soul has inherited Lennon's squad.

If we do somehow stay up, he's getting the job. I have no doubt about that. 

Why do you think we are offering 18 month contracts to new players if the manager is not going to be here past the end of the season, we are in for some boring Duffball for a while, a long while and that fucking depresses me. This board can get so far to f**k out of our club.

1 minute ago, Only one David Marsh said:

Why do you think we are offering 18 month contracts to new players if the manager is not going to be here past the end of the season, we are in for some boring Duffball for a while, a long while and that fucking depresses me. This board can get so far to f**k out of our club.

Yeah, I hear you. If Duffy is in charge next season (relegation or not) I think I'll probably have to stay away until he either does the honourable thing and retires or is eventually (and inevitably) sacked...there's only so much misery you can subject yourself to. 

Just now, RutherGlen said:

Yeah, I hear you. If Duffy is in charge next season (relegation or not) I think I'll probably have to stay away until he either does the honourable thing and retires or is eventually (and inevitably) sacked...there's only so much misery you can subject yourself to. 

Theres a few folk (some die hards) saying that

5 minutes ago, Only one David Marsh said:

Theres a few folk (some die hards) saying that

Not surprised to hear this and I'm sure they, like me, don't say it lightly. I've been following Clyde for around 20 years, season ticket holder and attend the vast majority of away games. I just can't stand seeing us make the same mistakes over and over again. I don't expect silky, exciting football and I go to every game with the understanding there's a reasonable chance we'll lose - even if the opposition are playing a league or two below us! All I expect to see (and for many years did) was a team willing to fight for each other and at least to some extent for the badge. 

What I can't tolerate any longer is the apathy and lack of fight/passion in the Clyde teams of late. As I've stated before, that kind of thing has to come from the manager and the least likely guy to deliver on this is Jim Duffy. 

Who in their right mind gave Hynes an 18 month deal, as far as I can see he came through Morton’s academy, he’s 24 years old and only played 4 league games for Morton and 8 league games for the mighty Gretna ,  the rest of his Morton appearances have been in cup games.

51 minutes ago, RutherGlen said:

Not surprised to hear this and I'm sure they, like me, don't say it lightly. I've been following Clyde for around 20 years, season ticket holder and attend the vast majority of away games. I just can't stand seeing us make the same mistakes over and over again. I don't expect silky, exciting football and I go to every game with the understanding there's a reasonable chance we'll lose - even if the opposition are playing a league or two below us! All I expect to see (and for many years did) was a team willing to fight for each other and at least to some extent for the badge. 

What I can't tolerate any longer is the apathy and lack of fight/passion in the Clyde teams of late. As I've stated before, that kind of thing has to come from the manager and the least likely guy to deliver on this is Jim Duffy. 

Even when we concede it is just accepted with this bunch no anger no passion nothing, Duffy can get to f**k we won't see Duthie again with him in charge

55 minutes ago, Only one David Marsh said:

Even when we concede it is just accepted with this bunch no anger no passion nothing, Duffy can get to f**k we won't see Duthie again with him in charge

We probably won't see a win either! Can we just play the rest of the season with no manager or maybe someone among our support would be up for the job? Could a random Clyde fan do a worse job? I think not...

I think its fair to say that game today was just a microcosm of the majority of the season to date.

It's just inconceivable that we continue to watch some of the most comedic, slipshod defending, some of which Danny Baker would reject for his Own Goals and Gaffes tapes.  There seemed almost a resignation when Falkirk went down to ten men that we weren't going to get anything from the game.  I don't think anyone would even mind losing to a team obviously placed higher than us if there had been even an inkling of effort today, but the defeat in the manner in which it was delivered hurt the most.

We've seen the best, and at times the worst, of this club over the years, but this almost feels like the most scunnering.  Mainly because it feels like that time where you know its ending in an inevitable.  I hope that's not the case, because no-one wants to see the club fail, but in the past there was always a little bit of hope that there was a turning point, at this moment there doesn't.

The fact that at 3-0 and then 4-0 there was precious little reaction tells its own tale.  Certainly, a defeat next week will I think near enough consign us to automatic relegation, but even in the play-offs we would have to be concerned, given whoever we play will almost certainly be going into it with a run of decent form.

I genuinely hope the board have some sort of long-term plan, because at this moment the general feeling amongst all is that the club is only going in one direction.  When that happened previously, just off the back of the disastrous, Gardner Spiers led near relegation, there was genuine talk of us going to the wall if we had got relegated.  Luckily we were saved by the Ronnie MacDonald/Allan Maitland regime.  This time, I don't think we have that saviour out there, alas.

3 hours ago, shawfielder said:

Who in their right mind gave Hynes an 18 month deal, as far as I can see he came through Morton’s academy, he’s 24 years old and only played 4 league games for Morton and 8 league games for the mighty Gretna ,  the rest of his Morton appearances have been in cup games.

40BDA658-0E5B-4456-9183-D80494F5C75B.jpeg

13 hours ago, shawfielder said:

He made 24 league appearances for us altogether, 15 starts and 9 sub appearances. Another 12 apperances in cups. Still a stupidly tiny number of games for a 24 year old.