Clyde FC; Season 2022-23

18 hours ago, Sao Paulo said:

If anyone can measure it objectively, I'll take it back. Until then it's just 'think strong, play strong' baloney. Gary Arbuckle's employment was hung on the confidence unicorn; that and his Gareth Bale beating pace.

Henry Ford said something along the lines of, "If you believe you can, or you cannot, you're probably right"

Performance anxiety in psychology...participants practiced a skill and had to perform this when audience may or may not have been present. Essentially if you believe you're confident in a task, or lack confidence the audience heightens that.

Confidence is real.

Actually took the 3 1/2 hours required to read one of Sao Paolo's posts, the one regarding offloading some particular players already??? Fucking hell man, that's all...

Aye, we are going to offload our entire defence, most of whom are a month into a 2 year deal and somehow find better at this stage.

Seems sensible and far easier than trying to find a system that suits the current players or at least minimises the mess back there.

Aye, we are going to offload our entire defence, most of whom are a month into a 2 year deal and somehow find better at this stage.

Seems sensible and far easier than trying to find a system that suits the current players or at least minimises the mess back there.
McNiff has been ever present at left back. We haven't tried anyone else there.

However, we've changed Howie for Petkov and Cuddihy for Duffie (admittedly the latter was a forced change).

Would it be too costly to our team structure to play Grant there again?

Would Fitzpatrick be worse than McNiff?

To be honest I'm at a loss. I just can't believe we're entering the new season without a "proper" left back.

6 minutes ago, haufdaft said:

McNiff has been ever present at left back. We haven't tried anyone else there.

However, we've changed Howie for Petkov and Cuddihy for Duffie (admittedly the latter was a forced change).

Would it be too costly to our team structure to play Grant there again?

Would Fitzpatrick be worse than McNiff?

To be honest I'm at a loss. I just can't believe we're entering the new season without a "proper" left back.

I was in the middle of posting about whether Lennon would try Grant at left back again once Rankin is back fit. Surely a better option than McNiff and he will be closed down a lot quicker this season off opposition players in midfield so might not be as effective there as he was last season.

Who knows what the solution is, but the current defensive setup isn't it.

Edited by C. Muir

I like Darren Smith he has been played out of position every game, think with Norway and Love injured tactics need to get messed about again, couldn’t have asked for a worse first 4 games of the season but as I said before gettin humped off Raith may be a blessing in disguise we have all got carried away with ourselves as we always do, even Lennon. League One is a big step up.

Christ almighty. Howie shoehorned into midfield and Grant at left back. It's small wonder 97% of us drink. 

Clearly there are problems, and making excuses or regurgitating failed systems (could you imagine Rankin and McStay in central midfield together again!) will slow the adjustment further still. It must be said, Lennon infallible or not, the defence has been absolutely neglected in transfer dealings. We lost three, and signed one, whilst retaining two highly unlikely players to be forcing their way in, having seen all one of them offers. And it wasn't much.

Budget matters may dictate, but a wage here is better NOT being committed until all avenues are exhausted. The group was the time to fanny around, and that came and went.  Oh, and we're likely contractually committed to fielding Baby Bulgaria despite very probably only having him train on Thursdays going forward. So any centre-back signing, will be to improve upon Howie or Rumsby, not to partner them, and with both on two year deals and neither any more than 10% responsible for overall showings so far. There IS a lack of leadership, of bombast and a bit of composure and they need discussed and addressed, but having saw a year of Rumsby, and Howie's early displays, i'm not convinced they're the problem. At least one should start, if not both. If we're stuck with Petkov regardless, balls should be toed.

Neither Grant or McStay have been screening even remotely well. I expected McStay's late arrival and fitness shortage would see him sit deeper and engage more with a struggling backline but he's done f**k all. Grant, on the other hand has gotten himself involved way out his comfort zone a good few times, when holding his position should be his MO. Goodwillie defends well from the front, only for no one else to seemingly follow suit. That's basics. We're not and never were free-flowing last year, the additions of Smith and Johnstone seem aimed to alter that, but slating either of those within this current system is laughable.

Not going tomorrow night but perhaps this game could be important so soon after saturdays result ...

Clean sheet and win in 90mins to raise the spirits and lift confidence he says hopefully[emoji106]

it is really all about an away day or getting to the later stages that sparks any interest in this farce of a cup , is this worth injuries , midweek fixutures ( know this next one is a saturday ) wouldnt be seen dead at colts games , going simply encourages this shambles ( in my opinion)

5 hours ago, Bully Wee Clyde FC said:

Henry Ford said something along the lines of, "If you believe you can, or you cannot, you're probably right"

Performance anxiety in psychology...participants practiced a skill and had to perform this when audience may or may not have been present. Essentially if you believe you're confident in a task, or lack confidence the audience heightens that.

Confidence is real.

Of course it is.

We don't have a left back. Every suggested option would be, and is being asked to fill in there.  If that was resolved....in the old days some kind of a youth policy helped fill in the gaps but anyway....then you can argue the best CH options from Rumsby, Howie, Niff, Petkov & Fitzpatrick (who played there his entire time out on loan)

But if we're genuinely unable to bring anyone in, it's answers on a postcard time.  Grant playing there isn't one of them.  

We don't have a left back. Every suggested option would be, and is being asked to fill in there.  If that was resolved....in the old days some kind of a youth policy helped fill in the gaps but anyway....then you can argue the best CH options from Rumsby, Howie, Niff, Petkov & Fitzpatrick (who played there his entire time out on loan)

But if we're genuinely unable to bring anyone in, it's answers on a postcard time.  Grant playing there isn't one of them.  

I thought when grant played there he really struggled he isnt and never will be a left back , it certainly was caused by lack effort on his part

but if your struggling at left back in league 2 then league 1 is a bridge to far

Team for Motherwell Colts game -

McGee

Cuddihy  Fitzpatrick  Rumsby  Howie

Grant

Lyon    McStay     Lamont      Love

Smith

Subs - Mitchell, McNiff, Wallace, Johnston, Goodwillie

Injured - Duffie, Norway, Rankin

No allowed to play - Petkov

(If  I was picking the team - for this game :wacko:).

McGee
                             Grant
                             Smith

cuddhy is injured

McGee
                             Grant
                             Smith

and play it on the broadwood astro beside the stadium , with our under 21 manager in charge of the team , gives lennon and moore night off to go scouting for a left back #sorted[emoji16]