Clyde FC; Season 2022-23

10 minutes ago, BullyWeeStonehouse said:

No such thing as confidence?

Turn it in.

If anyone can measure it objectively, I'll take it back. Until then it's just 'think strong, play strong' baloney. Gary Arbuckle's employment was hung on the confidence unicorn; that and his Gareth Bale beating pace.

1 hour ago, Sao Paulo said:

If anyone can measure it objectively, I'll take it back. Until then it's just 'think strong, play strong' baloney. Gary Arbuckle's employment was hung on the confidence unicorn; that and his Gareth Bale beating pace.

Absolutely, 100%. 

There's very clearly a 'levels' problem here, if the straws are being clutched this tightly, this early. 

Ignoring this to spare feelings only ends in repressed views, and untold misery and resentment on all sides, for all sides. And we're among the fastest at getting to both emotional states. 

We're in danger of providing the misleading assurance that we're a normal side just struggling a bit to adapt defensively, a paper-thin shield (literally) that is inevitably collapsing when we come into contact with the world outside our bubble. 

If we can't or won't change, we'll simply all have to develop a method of coping. 

That should end well.

Maybe some of you saw Mourinho on Sky for the Man U v Chelsea game.  One of the first things they started talking about, he was saying you could have very strong attacking players in midfield & up front, but when they know there's likely a mistake around the corner behind them it starts to affect their performance.  Same way, if what's behind them is strong, it adds to their own confidence to go on and do their job.

It's basically stating the obvious, something we've seen for years.  We got promoted because we had for the first time in years a solid defence which shut up shop & allowed those in front to do what they're best at.  Other than the obvious, the problem with Saturday's result is it's not in isolation, the warning signs have been there all pre-season and there's early indications it's starting to possibly affect one or two others.   If the fundamental problem isn't addressed, as sure as night follows day, it'll spread through the team & guaranteed the discussion will move on to midfielders or even strikers not helping out defensively or whatever.  You'd be missing the point, you deal with the defence, the rest of it will take care of itself.

How he's going to do it I don't know.  I can't see how he's going to sort it out with what he has & no doubt the budget's all gone, but I wish him all the best in somehow managing it.

A back 3 with wingbacks is clearly the way to go. However it doesn’t even seem to be a consideration. We don’t have a natural left wingback but that will be easier to patch than a left back in a flat 4.

Also think it’s unfair that Howie has been benched, the problem has not got any better with dropping him, that’s for sure. Howie would be perfect as a sweeper and playing it out from the back between Rumsby and either mcniff/petkov.

Maybe some of you saw Mourinho on Sky for the Man U v Chelsea game.  One of the first things they started talking about, he was saying you could have very strong attacking players in midfield & up front, but when they know there's likely a mistake around the corner behind them it starts to affect their performance.  Same way, if what's behind them is strong, it adds to their own confidence to go on and do their job.
It's basically stating the obvious, something we've seen for years.  We got promoted because we had for the first time in years a solid defence which shut up shop & allowed those in front to do what they're best at.  Other than the obvious, the problem with Saturday's result is it's not in isolation, the warning signs have been there all pre-season and there's early indications it's starting to possibly affect one or two others.   If the fundamental problem isn't addressed, as sure as night follows day, it'll spread through the team & guaranteed the discussion will move on to midfielders or even strikers not helping out defensively or whatever.  You'd be missing the point, you deal with the defence, the rest of it will take care of itself.
How he's going to do it I don't know.  I can't see how he's going to sort it out with what he has & no doubt the budget's all gone, but I wish him all the best in somehow managing it.

cant agrue with any of that
the midfield are already getting the blame for not protecting the defence which looks like its going to lose a goal everytime the opposition cross the half way line , the recruitment in defensive positions has been poor , but its early in season and hopefully some wheeling and dealing can see an improvement or as you say it will spread like wild fire throughout the team

going forward we are fine no problems getting goals which is a real positive

38 minutes ago, Clyde01 said:

A back 3 with wingbacks is clearly the way to go. However it doesn’t even seem to be a consideration. We don’t have a natural left wingback but that will be easier to patch than a left back in a flat 4.

Also think it’s unfair that Howie has been benched, the problem has not got any better with dropping him, that’s for sure. Howie would be perfect as a sweeper and playing it out from the back between Rumsby and either mcniff/petkov.

From the little Ive seen, Howie does look pretty comfortable on the ball.  Might even be an idea to try him as a holding midfielder, give some protection to the defence.  We're already in the realms of moving the deckchairs around, but on the assumption we can't bring anyone else in he's got to try something to shore it up otherwise this could get very bad very quickly.   

12 minutes ago, cfcuk said:

but its early in season and hopefully some wheeling and dealing can see an improvement

going forward we are fine no problems getting goals which is a real positive

I'm obviously assuming that he can't bring anyone else in.  If he can, be an idea he moves as soon as possible

At the moment going forward we're fine, always likely to score, but the longer this goes on it'll also affect that as confidence is drained.  Being early in the season is OK, but again that's on the assumption something can actually be done about this.  The return of Cuddihy at RB addresses a little bit of the specific problem potentially.   The return of Norway & Rankin & DGW getting back to full fitness will all be positives, but that's for an area that isn't the main problem.

1 hour ago, Clyde01 said:

Wingbacks when we only have one actual full-back (and even he is a converted box to box midfielder)?? Thats even more complex than what we presently have. 

Id rather we lined up with a flat four in front of the back three, starting narrow firsty to prevent crosses coming in, amd secondly to be able to squeeze one into joining attacks if (1) keeps us relatively involved in the game. I'd also have virtually zero overlapping unless Cuddihy has his man on toast. This might allow Johnston and Smith freedom from restriction to support Goodwillie. The best candidate for the left side of this is unquestionsbly Wallace, as he played a superb defensive winger role against us last year. The formation at present gives us one natural defender in his position, it's no wonder we're getting fucked. And Howie would be rightly pissed off at being the one to drop.

Edited by Domino the Dug

I'm obviously assuming that he can't bring anyone else in.  If he can, be an idea he moves as soon as possible
At the moment going forward we're fine, always likely to score, but the longer this goes on it'll also affect that as confidence is drained.  Being early in the season is OK, but again that's on the assumption something can actually be done about this.  The return of Cuddihy at RB addresses a little bit of the specific problem potentially.   The return of Norway & Rankin & DGW getting back to full fitness will all be positives, but that's for an area that isn't the main problem.
agree on howie , he seems to be carrying the can I dont think he has done much wrong lost his man in the thistle game that apart looks comfortable on the ball

40 minutes ago, bullyweehutch said:

Is anyone going to tall about how awful Smith was again this week?

Hope hes dropped for love next week thought he was one the poorest players at Raith

I didn't think he was any worse than several others on Saturday and, similar to an out-and-out striker, his performances will depend on service. The couple of good things he did against East Fife came when he was given good balls to run onto, behind the opposition defence. He had very little to work with against Raith.

Far from being dropped, I'd have him playing up front until Goodwillie is fully fit. Goodwillie coming on for the final 30 minutes against tired defences seems more sensible than starting matches. He did look sharper on the ball on Saturday, but still nowhere near fit.

I also don't think we're currently good enough to cope with both Smith and Johnston offering so little defensively at the moment. I'd much rather a hard working midfield five of Grant, McStay, Wallace, Lamont & Lyon (at least away from home).  Even with the option of trying Petkov or Howie in midfield, if necessary.

Edited by Jaggy Snake

Smith played left wing back, up front and left wing at the weekend. Shunted about all over the place. Didn't play well but Johnston was far worse.

Funnily enough, we haven't at any point this season tried to play the same way we did in the second half of last season. I'd give that a go first. Which means dropping Smith or Johnston.

Smith played left wing back, up front and left wing at the weekend. Shunted about all over the place. Didn't play well but Johnston was far worse.

Funnily enough, we haven't at any point this season tried to play the same way we did in the second half of last season. I'd give that a go first. Which means dropping Smith or Johnston.

wasnt at the game on saturday so no idea how johnston played but the 4 previous games I have seen him in he lights the place up a player who will actually run at players. Brigtonclyde hit the nail on the head when he said the midfield will cop the blame for this now its the forwards

The problem is that the recruitment was all wrong during the summer , its now up to Lennon to get it sorted , but taking out our most talented player for a centre half in midfield I think is absolutely crazy

1 hour ago, David W said:

The Johnston of Saturday was the only Johnston we had when he was with us. Invisible and ineffective.

Is anyone going to tall about how awful Smith was again this week?

Hope hes dropped for love next week thought he was one the poorest players at Raith

Wasn’t there on Saturday so can’t comment on that but overall very underwhelmed with Smith so far. His constantly being offside is becoming very annoying too.