The Famous Aberdeen’s European Tour 19/20

Frank Grimes

7 hours ago, Dons_1988 said:

If someone thinks mcinnes time has only been marginally better than McGhee then it’s not even worth debating with them. As a club we are night and day from that era.

That was as poor as it’s been under derek tonight though.

LoL

Berk

I got a f*cking sleeper train for that. I think only the 3-0 League Cup final pumping by Celtic comes close to that in terms of abject performances under McInnes.

The thing that was really noticeable last night, watching from the RDU, was how often our midfielders and forwards (with the exception of Ferguson) took up positions where they couldn't possibly receive the ball.

The contrast to the Rijeka players, who always seemed to have time and space, was massive. That has to be an issue with coaching. It's the same whenever we play Celtic or Rangers. 

So, I was at the game with my family as we were on holiday in the North East, and planned it in - only get to a few games a season. Daughters first game, I have taken my boys before - don't think my wife has been at a game since Skovdahl era finals v OF...

It was a v depressing night.

The ref was howling, but we should have worked that out and been smarter, but we were not.

We seemed yards off the pace, unable to mark up. I don't think this was helped by our shape, they had width at all times which we could not combat all night. 

I was clear to see why Wilson is not getting a game. The boy was blowing out of his arse 10 mins after coming on and looked like he would rather be anywhere else. In fact, too much walking and not enough movement throughout the team. 

DM will have a job picking the team up for Sunday. Strange how quickly things have turned, hopefully they can return to form this weekend. 

Just my immediate thoughts this morning from last night. Would be interested in others views of the detail, away from the bikering etc. 

30 minutes ago, Highloon said:

So, I was at the game with my family as we were on holiday in the North East, and planned it in - only get to a few games a season. Daughters first game, I have taken my boys before - don't think my wife has been at a game since Skovdahl era finals v OF...

It was a v depressing night.

The ref was howling, but we should have worked that out and been smarter, but we were not.

We seemed yards off the pace, unable to mark up. I don't think this was helped by our shape, they had width at all times which we could not combat all night. 

I was clear to see why Wilson is not getting a game. The boy was blowing out of his arse 10 mins after coming on and looked like he would rather be anywhere else. In fact, too much walking and not enough movement throughout the team. 

DM will have a job picking the team up for Sunday. Strange how quickly things have turned, hopefully they can return to form this weekend. 

Just my immediate thoughts this morning from last night. Would be interested in others views of the detail, away from the bikering etc. 

Difficult to properly critique the team last night to be honest on a big picture.

The game was finished at 1-0. The sending off was harsh in that the first yellow was a bit excitable from the ref but the second yellow was crazy from Ojo's point of view, no need for that challenge.

Hearts, St Mirren and Rijeka have now exposed us badly on the counter attack and we need to address that ASAP, the gols last night are pretty pathetic when you watch them again.

56 minutes ago, Highloon said:

Sticking them on bikes might give them more pace than Dundee, right enough.

2 minutes ago, Romeo said:

It's almost like some of the jolly japester Aberdeen fans love dishing it out but have a really hard time accepting anyone could possible criticise their club for what is a shocking result and performance.

I don't think one person has said that the performance was anywhere near good enough Romeo. Bizarre post.

1 hour ago, EdTheDuck said:

He is flat-lining, though. There was immediate and vast improvement in year one and since then we have not improved at all and, in fact, in the last couple of years the fitba has been atrocious.

Improvement doesn't mean winning the league but improving points total year on year does and surely, surely he should have learned something about European football by now?

And if I could be arsed I could dig out my posts where I've stated unequivocally that I don't want McInnes sacked and that I think his problem is confidence; he's a better manager than he thinks he is and he has better players than he thinks he does. But he seems determined to play it safe, it's almost a classic case of the old James Richardson remark about Italian clubs being 'afraid to win'.

And yet any criticism and the Happy Clappers are out in force making ridiculous statements about 'typical greetin faced Aiberdeen fans'.

There's not a chance in Hell that AFC will finish second this year but I don't think sevco have markedly better players. Gerrard sets them out to attack and win and in our crap league that will get him results more often than not. If McInnes went for it instead of always playing safety first AFC could challenge for second, I have no doubt about that. But experience says he won't.

Right at the start, one of the St Johnstone fans said the more turbulent it gets, the more McInnes will back into his defensive shell. I'd say he got it pretty right.

To say there was no improvement after year one is nonsense.

Your post above is almost balanced. Then you mention happy clappers. It comes across that everyone who doesn't agree with your summary is a happy clapper which isn't the case.

Sevco have just signed another midfielder and a good one at that. Andy King. No matter how attacking we'd like to play we are going to struggle to compete with the daft amount of money they are throwing about to guarantee a second place finish (they won't finish first).

Our big issue last year was the midfield. His thought he'd found the two players to finally replace Jack and to replace McLean and they weren't up to it. We were stuck with a centre midfield pairing of Ferguson and Shinnie. Both very good players but far too similar. This resulted in far too much long ball with us picking up the second ball. Ferguson, Ojo and (if he ever gets fit) Bryson looks to be far more balanced. I'm willing to give him a bit more time.

Sunday is now a massive game and it seems ridiculous to have to say that 3 games in to the domestic season.

2 hours ago, pozbaird said:

Would be interesting to see the amount of times McInnes guided Aberdeen to ‘best of the rest’, when it was a top flight that was without Deadco, and/or Hearts implosion and the Edinburgh clubs being in the second tier. Not having a dig, just interested. As an outsider looking in, I don’t see McInnes as being particularly good, nor bad. In many regards, he would have been brilliant for my own club - a steady hand kinda’ manager.

If you had done your research, you would find that during Derek McInnes time at Aberdeen, they have finished above Hearts 5 times, Hibs 3 times and Rangers twice. The only time when any of them has finished above Aberdeen was last season when Rangers were second.

2 hours ago, Lex said:

6 seasons in a row going out at the same round.

Must be frustrating.

Probably time to give another Scottish club a shot.

Any club can have a shot if they’re good enough. In the last six seasons, no one has been.

20 minutes ago, Merkland Red said:

I don't think one person has said that the performance was anywhere near good enough Romeo. Bizarre post.

That's not what I sad though, is it?

Have another wee read of the post and get back to me. There's a good lad.

Edited by Romeo

13 hours ago, Merkland Red said:

Not raging at all. Just find it funny and pathetic when folk like you slither out to have a go when we're on a bad run. Not to be seen again until the next bad run.

He's consistently had us as the best of the rest since his second full season whilst losing most of his best players each year.. New rangers finally managed to overtake us last season and Killie had a phenomenal season. His European and cup record could be better but domestically we're also up against a team who can outspent the whole league several times over if they wanted to.

His domestic cup record is really poor and is the major thing that stands out for me. The 'we're up against Celtic' thing doesn't wash when in the time McInnes has been in charge St Johnstone, Ross County, Inverness and a Championship Hibs side have all won the same number of major trophies as Aberdeen.

There is no doubt that he has brought Aberdeen up a level since before he arrived, it's easy to forget how poor they were. However, it is also true that he has managed them during the easiest time possible - Rangers out the league, Hearts, Hibs and Dundee Utd all relegated. Plus he had Ronnie's Celtic for a couple of years. You 'can only beat what is in front of you' so it is not a criticism, but to not finish 2nd or 3rd over the previous few years would have been awful. With most of those teams now back in the league, and a competitive Kilmarnock side (albeit briefly) we are seeing/will see what his record would have been like if he had had more competition in the last few years.

The best description is the guy who described Aberdeen as flatlining. McInnes initially brought them up to a certain level but have not progressed (in league, cup or Europe) for a while now. And with the increased competition I think it's likely they will regress slightly and be even less likely to win a trophy and will finish further down the league. He is a safe pair of hands if the club are happy churning out top 6 finishes every year, but I'd guess the time will come where fans start to think it might be worth a change.

Edited by Diamonds are Forever

20 minutes ago, kingjoey said:

If you had done your research, you would find that during Derek McInnes time at Aberdeen, they have finished above Hearts 5 times, Hibs 3 times and Rangers twice. The only time when any of them has finished above Aberdeen was last season when Rangers were second.

Try reading my post again, and the question I actually posed.

Edited by pozbaird

2 hours ago, EdTheDuck said:

He is flat-lining, though. There was immediate and vast improvement in year one and since then we have not improved at all and, in fact, in the last couple of years the fitba has been atrocious.

Improvement doesn't mean winning the league but improving points total year on year does and surely, surely he should have learned something about European football by now?

And if I could be arsed I could dig out my posts where I've stated unequivocally that I don't want McInnes sacked and that I think his problem is confidence; he's a better manager than he thinks he is and he has better players than he thinks he does. But he seems determined to play it safe, it's almost a classic case of the old James Richardson remark about Italian clubs being 'afraid to win'.

And yet any criticism and the Happy Clappers are out in force making ridiculous statements about 'typical greetin faced Aiberdeen fans'.

There's not a chance in Hell that AFC will finish second this year but I don't think sevco have markedly better players. Gerrard sets them out to attack and win and in our crap league that will get him results more often than not. If McInnes went for it instead of always playing safety first AFC could challenge for second, I have no doubt about that. But experience says he won't.

Right at the start, one of the St Johnstone fans said the more turbulent it gets, the more McInnes will back into his defensive shell. I'd say he got it pretty right.

You say that ”there was immediate and vast improvement in year one and since then we have not improved at all” and then you go on to say “Improvement doesn’t mean winning the league but improving points total year on year does”. Do you realise that the points total in year one was the lowest in his tenure until last season when we got one point less? 

3 hours ago, TavTastic said:

Love how Richard Gordon said "is a 7-3 result a good result?" last night. BBC Sheepsound absolutely bealing about their team being cuffed.

I love how you just invent stuff for your own benefit. Richard Gordon didn’t actually say what you have in your quotation marks, however he did say that Rangers cruised through to the next round. Does that make you feel better?