Dundee United 2019/2020

I don't think there is anything wrong with DUSF looking to acquire shares in the club. To do that as a condition of helping the club out in the current circumstance seems to lie somewhere between opportunistic and brass necked in the extreme.

The secured loan is cheeky as f**k though. 

Still, it's essentially a private members organisation and I'm  not a member so they can do what they like.

They only have 100k so I wonder what stake in the club they would get for that given Ogrens investment so far.

Edited by invergowrie arab

If they’re a members organisation then I assume the members can remove the steering committee if they are unhappy with their actions.

They are also a limited company and one of the directors is the guy who tried to get Romanov involved with United before he bought into Hearts.  Don't know if the directors and the members of the steering committee are one and the same. 

Members email:

'We are genuinely astonished at the statement put out today in the name of Club Chairman Mark Ogren, primarily in its timing, giving that people have far more important things in their lives to deal with just now and we are angry at having to deal with this now for that reason.

We were asked by the Club to keep these discussions confidential and we adhered to this.

However, the tone and inaccuracy of the statement means we must respond.

We only became aware late last night that the Club had rejected the latest of several, and in our view very reasonable funding proposals we have put to them recently, prior to a possible ballot of members.

As well as our desire to assist our Club financially, we have also had to ensure we discharge our duties as directors of a private company limited by guarantee by showing prudence and due diligence before recommending release of a six-figure sum of members’ money.

For the Club to go public in such a manner is a great disappointment.  We have tried extremely hard over the last three to four weeks to make this work and to get a proposal that we could put out to a ballot of members.  We will not be speaking to the Press on this until we have given a full update to members which we are working on.

I agree that the decision to go public was strange and to be honest, in the current climate (both footballing and non-footballing), the last thing we all need is the club to have a public disagreement with a supporters group. 

1 minute ago, Speroni*1 said:

This is all very Dundee during the Scot Gardiner era. Question is, who's the one with the over inflated ego, Ogren or head of the fans group?

Mal Brannigan is in charge of the daily running and is the one who leads most meetings, so I think he has had a big role in this. Ogren did talk about having a pretty distant role for the most part.  

What's going on, is Ogren asking for money and in return the fans asked for shares? 

Not quite as clear cut. I think the Foundation were in a position to give their monies to United in the interim but maybe wanted something as an asset, or for the money to be paid back to them so that it could used for other purposes in the future. The club don’t want that kind of agreement or really any kind of loan agreement and are unwilling to give shares or other forms of guarantee. It’s a mix of those issues although unsure as to the order or when this all started to fall apart.

9 minutes ago, Fifespud said:

To be fair to DUSC if Ogren (sp?) is legit why would he be so upset with them asking for security for a soft loan? Does he think folk should just give him dosh?

Perhaps because the amount of money being offered is utterly inconsequential compared to the value of the asset to be secured. Perhaps the idea was sold as a gift to the club rather than a loan. Perhaps because the Ogrens have poured a shitload of money into club in the form of soft loans and find it cheeky as f**k when a supporters group want to take a security which would see them rank as preferred creditors ahead of the Ogrens. Perhaps the individuals involved were just cheeky c***s and the Ogrens didn't like them. Perhaps the individuals involved are perfectly sound but have offended Mark Ogren for some reason in their communications. Nae idea. Thus far though on every important metric the Ogrens have been great for United. Happy to give them the benefit of the doubt, if any doubt exists.

Perhaps because the amount of money being offered is utterly inconsequential compared to the value of the asset to be secured. Perhaps the idea was sold as a gift to the club rather than a loan. Perhaps because the Ogrens have poured a shitload of money into club in the form of soft loans and find it cheeky as f**k when a supporters group want to take a security which would see them rank as preferred creditors ahead of the Ogrens. Perhaps the individuals involved were just cheeky c***s and the Ogrens didn't like them. Perhaps the individuals involved are perfectly sound but have offended Mark Ogren for some reason in their communications. Nae idea. Thus far though on every important metric the Ogrens have been great for United. Happy to give them the benefit of the doubt, if any doubt exists.

It would appear the supporters group are not as convinced as you are. I get it, we’ve had our well documented share of saviours who you need to believe in. For both clubs our Americans are the only show in town. Fingers crossed.

18 minutes ago, Pull My Strings said:

Knowing one of the individuals involved I think that’s a possibility.

12 minutes ago, PartyFears2 said:

The statement reeks of Brannigan. A public huff.

Unnecessary

If FB is anything to go by (I know) the board have played a blinder in getting ordinary fans to turn against DUSF.

I don't think it's a huff I think it's calculated to leave them isolated.

The pointed reference to what they now do with their money was very clever. They will be under severe pressure from members to explain exactly that given they have six figures in the bank of supporters money and no relationship with the club.

Edited by invergowrie arab

Was the Supporters Group set up to gift the club the money or loan the club the money? 

I always assumed it was to give the club money when it was needed as a donation. Ogren seems to be hinting at some sort of minor power grab by the supporters group which really is a bit cheeky considering all hes done for the club.