Dundee United 2019/2020

6 hours ago, Speroni*1 said:

To lend credence to Dele, he was absolutely spot on about us having insurances weeks before it was public knowledge. Wouldn't just rule out what he's saying as nonsense.

It's pointless. You apparently can't be furloughed if you're an MD. The club can't operate without one, you see. 

It's also bullshit because, erm, I don't support United so I can't possibly know. 

Gotta love them. 

Interview with Ryan Gauld in the Guardian

Pleasing to read that Gauld has been promoted to the Portuguese top tier, and also that he seems very capable of overlooking the negativity that is thrown his way from his motherland.  We still haven't replaced him with a proper 10 - here's hoping this summer is the summer...

1 hour ago, arab_joe said:

Interview with Ryan Gauld in the Guardian

Pleasing to read that Gauld has been promoted to the Portuguese top tier, and also that he seems very capable of overlooking the negativity that is thrown his way from his motherland.  We still haven't replaced him with a proper 10 - here's hoping this summer is the summer...

It would be a magical thing to witness a proper No. 10 ala Gauld or Swanson again at Tannadice.

Gauld is a great wee player and it's good to see him doing well. I hope he goes on to have an absolute belter of a career abroad even if that means being ignored by the Scotland setup because hes too wee and hasny played for Celtic, the Tribute Act or in any English League.

Unless he wants to come home and play for us in our impending, and managing directorless, assault for the Champions League.

2 minutes ago, mishtergrolsch said:

It would be a magical thing to witness a proper No. 10 ala Gauld or Swanson again at Tannadice.

Gauld is a great wee player and it's good to see him doing well. I hope he goes on to have an absolute belter of a career abroad even if that means being ignored by the Scotland setup because hes too wee and hasny played for Celtic, the Tribute Act or in any English League.

Unless he wants to come home and play for us in our impending, and managing directorless, assault for the Champions League.

You'll likely enjoy this interview with Gauld from the "Trampled Bet" podcast: Link

He comes across really well.

We were privileged to have some absolutely brilliant attacking players at Tannadice in between about 2007 and 2014 - Swanson, GMS, Conway, Gauld, Ciftci, Russell etc.  I suspect we will need to unearth at least one or two on a similar level if we are going to have any success in the next couple of seasons.

In a team that included Robertson, Armstrong, GMS, Ciftci and Souttar, Ryan Gauld was the clear stand-out player for me.

He looks like he's beginning to progress, but I honestly thought he'd have achieved so much more by now.

17 minutes ago, ArabFC said:

In a team that included Robertson, Armstrong, GMS, Ciftci and Souttar, Ryan Gauld was the clear stand-out player for me.

He looks like he's beginning to progress, but I honestly thought he'd have achieved so much more by now.

Gauld was something else. Just seemed to glide about.

I think we all hoped and expected he would kick on and that's what hes saying I suppose. 

Says more about him that he didnt turn and run but stuck at it and is going to get a chance in a pretty good league.

1 hour ago, ArabFC said:

To be fair to him, Sporting became a shambles while he was there. fans attacking the players and all sorts. Not exactly the best place to develop.

2 hours ago, Accent-Unknown said:

To be fair to him, Sporting became a shambles while he was there. fans attacking the players and all sorts. Not exactly the best place to develop.

I wouldn't dispute that. Amazed he stuck it out over there so long, playing in front of three men and a dog.

3 hours ago, Granny Danger said:

Article led me to do a wee Google search of Robertson and found this tweet from 6 days ago.

29BFE99D-F4BA-41BA-9DB1-7A79E5A87EDE.thumb.jpeg.81b9280df45a4e9823d6db9fd29a96e4.jpeg

Souttar brings the ball out of defence, Gauld sweeps the ball out wide to Robertson who drives forward and hits a screamer into the bottom corner.

I could weep thinking about what might have been if we'd had a manager with half a brain, and a board with the strength to hold that team together for more than one season.

14 minutes ago, ArabFC said:

Souttar brings the ball out of defence, Gauld sweeps the ball out wide to Robertson who drives forward and hits a screamer into the bottom corner.

I could weep thinking about what might have been if we'd had a manager with half a brain, and a board with the strength to hold that team together for more than one season.

For me this was the best performance from that team at that time.  A joy to watch.

3 hours ago, ArabFC said:

Then we repeated the exact same move to score against Killie in the cup the following week; albeit Robertson's finish wasn't as good as the one in that video.

I've probably said it on here before, but that strike against Partick is my favourite from that season. We tore them apart that day.

4 hours ago, Granny Danger said:

For me this was the best performance from that team at that time.  A joy to watch.

Agreed. I was lucky enough to be at Fir Park that day.

The best United performance I've ever witnessed in the flesh, and I'm no youngster!

Shame it couldn't last.

On 06/05/2020 at 08:17, stumigoo said:

I'm not really wanting to debate any of this, but I think a point made earlier was that clubs/businesses will have to keep some staff non-furloughed to still physically run the business? 

I assume United probably do due to the size of operation, having a grass pitch, etc. Depends on the club though. You will find a lot of the admin at smaller clubs is already handled by volunteers in the normal course of events even before this.. We furloughed everybody. I know other clubs definitely did too. I imagine most part time clubs have.