League Cup Group F

Reid

31 minutes ago, You Only Live Twice said:

Only an apologist if you know/believe it happened, but a nice attempt to label someone else with hee-haw evidence all the same. Not sure what you’re getting at by him not expressing remorse, unless you think it appropriate he issues a statement claiming “I’m sorry you think I’m a rapist”. He will undoubtedly have done nothing but reflect since it happened, although it is distressing to learn he hasn’t briefed you as such directly.

No point discussing it further with people who are simply ignoring the fact a criminal court binned it and are completely unwilling to even entertain the prospect that he isn’t guilty. You’re just as bad as these complete weapons lobbying for capital punishment to be reinstated whilst accepting that wrongful conviction is necessary collateral.

Good day emoji1309.png

Brains made of slush puppy and porridge imo. 

£2k is feck all compared with the potential impact of one of our players getting injured. Just want this game out of the way and look forward to the league next week. 
so you dont want them to train either? just if probably more likely to get injured. So you think going into a league campaign on the back of 4 defeats the last coming from a team in the league below is good for confidence So I take it you were of the same opinion on wednesday night ?

ps maybe you should tell the directors 2k is feck all

Not going today but wouldn't say it's completely meaningless. As David said earlier, we need a win to build confidence ahead of the league starting. Also needing to build Goodie's fitness so some extra game time for him wouldn't go amiss.

And yes, I think much less of Lennon for employing a rapist. Whether he’s a Thistle legend or not makes no difference. Clearly unlike you, my footballing affiliation makes no difference when it comes to issues like whether or not to sing with glee the name of a rapist. 

I think your spot on if you have values in life these should not change just because you support a particular football club or individual player who is employed by that club or even to protect him because an ex thistle captain employs him

so you dont want them to train either? just if probably more likely to get injured. So you think going into a league campaign on the back of 4 defeats the last coming from a team in the league below is good for confidence So I take it you were of the same opinion on wednesday night ?

sydney’s just cacking it!

There’s something can be taken from all of these games. Defending and tackling all part of that. Most of our injured so far seems to be fitness issues, strains etc.

Should be a good, open game.

1 hour ago, cfcuk said:

It’s all about opinions cfc. And I didn’t say £2k is feck all btw. I said it was feck all compared to the cost of an injury. That’s quite different. 

On reflection and looking at all the results in this group it looks like this was arguably the most competitive group.

Hopefully that means that each side is properly tested and go into the new season next week with a bit of an edge.

Good luck to all of you for the season ahead.

14 hours ago, Virtual Insanity said:

Jesus Christ I have read some absurd stuff on here but this take on the Scottish (and indeed basically any Western democracy) legal system is by far the stupidest thing I've ever read on P&B. Congratulations I guess.

Civil actions of the kind brought against David Goodwillie were, until his case, almost entirely unheard of in this country. I mention this because the law - whether criminal or civil - is supposed to aspire to minimise anything arbitrary and, ideally, ends up being something predictable, transparent and understood by all so that it can be obeyed. And there has long been a large academic and policy discussion on the appropriateness of civil remedies for rape where the civil remedy doesn't somehow follow from or complement a criminal conviction for the same.

The basic point here is simple despite the sometimes technical legal language that surrounds it. Fair labelling is a principle taken into account when, for example, a legislature creates a new criminal offence or civil law, or when a judge decides to convict or rule against someone. If the world works in a way such that an ordinarily criminal label ('rapist') can be applied to someone without consequence for the labelling person - being sued for defamation, say - and the person labelled hasn't gone through the ordinary criminal process with all its rigour and protections in order to have that label applied to him, then the state of justice is at the very least inconsistent and at worst straightforwardly unjust.

You characterise Clyde01's opinion as absurd and as the stupidest thing you've read on here. It may be the latter, only you can say so. But if it's the former, then there are a superabundance of lawyers and policy makers in this country and abroad with similarly absurd opinions. Of course, sometimes those people do have truly absurd opinions, but here they're not up to their usual sophistry. Like I say, it's simple. For an act as heinous as rape, the argument that civil remedies should only be available and that the label should only be thrown around once a criminal conviction has been sustained is perfectly serious and reasonable.

Happy to link you up to the aforesaid literature - both academic and policy related - and to the pubically-held opinions of esteemed lawyers on this point.

I won't do the shady, lawyer-like thing and hide my own opinion. I've already made it clear a number of times in any case. Before I'd even heard of David Goodwillie, it was my opinion that as a general rule, civil remedies, where those relate to a transgression that's also a criminal offence should of course be available to victims but shouldn't be available in the absence of such a conviction. To have things work otherwise does a number of unfortunate things like undermine the public's faith in the criminal process (prosecutors, judges), potentially cut through the double-jeopardy rule depending on what comes out in civil cases, encourages bad-faith litigation, leaves it looking like rape, assault and whatever else can be 'priced-up' by a judge and forgotten about; quite a grimly immoral outcome to my mind, though some would argue that it's better than no outcome of course.

By the way, and I always say this... Everyone's full of fury and indignaton about the Goodwillie thing. Whether against him or in his defence. The judgement given in the civil case is available online and gets into the evidence in quite a bit of detail. Of course, nobody will've bothered reading it before coming to their view. But I'd recommend a read to anyone.

Reading it, it became obvious to me that a criminal conviction couldn't have been gotten out of the evidence - and very likely, chiming with the decision not to prosecute, that the trial would've been incompetent due to an insufficiency of evidence (i.e. chucked out before the jury even gets a shot at it). I can't really relate to the circumstances as a virtual non-drinker, and as a non-club and mostly non-pub-goer. However, I understand that men and women pile out of these places drunk and into taxis every weekend all across the globe. What happens after that probably has the potential to be criminal much of the time, given that consent can't be given by a drunk person, and that 'drunk' is now reducible to a figure. I can't sympathise with David Goodwillie because I'd never have gotten into that situation. But because of the sheer amount of conflicting and confused evidence in play, I couldn't say with confidence that I thought he was a rapist. That's bascially why I'm morally indifferent about him playing for us.

After seeing the highlights think Fon Williams was unlucky with the second goal swerved a good bit and was wet. AJ could have been sent off good takle in my opinion but these days its prob a red. 2 stonewall pens. 

We need to quickly drop this attitiude its early days/league cup bladdy blah..

Were due to play at least two teams who have beaten Dundee Utd Away and STJ not inc montrose who done same..

We would be doing cartwheels if we done same so dont kid me on with the 'League matters pish' when others look in a much healthier state...

Pissed aff [emoji107]

17 hours ago, the_bully_wee said:

Failure to beat Queen's Park now that natural order has been restored is a sure-fire sign that we are in for a wretched campaign.

As for the game itself, I am fairly sure that we will win comfortably; probably 4-0. Mark Roberts was sitting behind me at Clyde vs Airdrie and continually spoke to his little minion about "hurting Clyde in the half-spaces" with absolutely no depth of analysis beyond that. With such a level of tactical acumen at their disposal, QP's season could be a particularly hilarious one.

Could you please run that "natural order" thing past me one more time?

image.png.dcb07d2a3fc0ed6b4d9096adbd0e36b6.png

Actually, on second thoughts don't bother. Looks pretty natural to me 😎.