Linlithgow Rose - 2019 onwards

16 hours ago, GordonS said:

He came off the bench in the second half. They never listed the team on Twitter and I couldn't hear the subs being read out.

Unless he was unfit I can't understand why he didn't start. In fact, I can't understand how the manager uses him at all. He's a terrific goal threat and left-footed but Ferguson plays him in standard right midfield. He was only in position to score his goal (deliciously hit, btw) because it was from a set-piece and it got knocked down to him on the left side of the box. 

That's where he's best. Scored all his goals from their at camelon. Didn't do it at centre forward for us and brown probably knows that

16 hours ago, GordonS said:

Feels like a big win tonight. TC gave us a much better shape in attack with Ruari linking up well with him. How many times have they carried this team? TC also brought Docherty, Ogilvie and Wilson into the game. But we can't base our attack around a guy who doesn't have 90 minutes in him any more.

The shape after the substitutions was weird; Ogilve and Kyle Wilson up front in what looked like a 4-4-2, with Docherty in left midfield and Stowe on the right. Those two are unquestionably the best finishers behind TC and they just seem wasted out there. There's nothing wrong with wide players on the 'wrong' sides but they need to be further forward; otherwise they struggle to carry down the line and easily get shown into midfield. Ogilvie was superb, that's the first time I've realised what he can do. He seemed to grow and grow as the game went on.

For me the highlight was our shape when out of possession. Spartans had long spells on the ball and moved it around with patience and structure, so we were tested. Their goal came from a howling goalkeeping error, McMinn spilling a low cross into Murrell's path for an equaliser, but apart from that they created few clear opportunities with Kasa, Ogilvie, Wilson and Ruari doing a good job closing them down and Thom and Brownlie holding the line.

This is a good squad, they just need set up right and they'll be fine. I feel Ferguson sets them up to be hard to beat and while you can win cups like that, you can't win leagues.

Docherty is best as a 10. Or wide. He doesn't score enough goals to be a centre forward 

9 hours ago, yessiricanboogie said:

That's where he's best. Scored all his goals from their at camelon. Didn't do it at centre forward for us and brown probably knows that

9 hours ago, yessiricanboogie said:

Docherty is best as a 10. Or wide. He doesn't score enough goals to be a centre forward 

I'm presuming you didn't see the games, please correct me if I'm wrong, but against Sauchie and Penicuik Stowe was too far from the business end, and it was the same again when he came on against Spartans. He scored one goal in those 210 minutes or so and that was from a set-piece. He was much further forward against Inverkeithing and HoB, when he got a bucketload.

Regardless of where Camelon played him, I think his obvious attacking ability means you want him getting regular opportunities to get in and around the box. I'm not saying he should be a centre forward, the right of a front three looks ideal or on the right of a three behind a forward. It looks to me like he could play second striker but obviously you've seen much more of him so fair enough.

As for Docherty, he was much better when TC provided a focal point. The worst thing about our performances against Sauchie and Penicuik were the long spells with literally no-one up front. We didn't score at Sauchie or create all that many chances, and we didn't score against Penicuik until the shape changed when TC came on (though we should have had a penalty).

We're not going to keep the ball in midfield all day and when you don't have anyone up front you invite trouble. Docherty and Stowe don't need to be centre forwards, but IMO someone does. I don't think TC has many more 90 minutes in the tank so who else can play that role? Maybe Ogilvie? I've not seen enough of him yet but he was excellent at Spartans.

A wee bit of tinkering is probably all that's needed, without relying on TC to play 90 minutes.

6 hours ago, GordonS said:

I'm presuming you didn't see the games, please correct me if I'm wrong, but against Sauchie and Penicuik Stowe was too far from the business end, and it was the same again when he came on against Spartans. He scored one goal in those 210 minutes or so and that was from a set-piece. He was much further forward against Inverkeithing and HoB, when he got a bucketload.

Regardless of where Camelon played him, I think his obvious attacking ability means you want him getting regular opportunities to get in and around the box. I'm not saying he should be a centre forward, the right of a front three looks ideal or on the right of a three behind a forward. It looks to me like he could play second striker but obviously you've seen much more of him so fair enough.

As for Docherty, he was much better when TC provided a focal point. The worst thing about our performances against Sauchie and Penicuik were the long spells with literally no-one up front. We didn't score at Sauchie or create all that many chances, and we didn't score against Penicuik until the shape changed when TC came on (though we should have had a penalty).

We're not going to keep the ball in midfield all day and when you don't have anyone up front you invite trouble. Docherty and Stowe don't need to be centre forwards, but IMO someone does. I don't think TC has many more 90 minutes in the tank so who else can play that role? Maybe Ogilvie? I've not seen enough of him yet but he was excellent at Spartans.

A wee bit of tinkering is probably all that's needed, without relying on TC to play 90 minutes.

You probably need a replacement for tc. A 4-3-3 would surely suit u better. With stowe and docherty wide as you say.

Stowe was a wide player at falkirk.when he came into us at first he played as a 10 and it didn't really work. Maybe it worked.better at camelon with the tighter park in the 4-4-2. 

We've been drawn at home against Banks o Dee in the Preliminary Round of the Scottish Cup. Game scheduled for 28 August.

Not the easiest draw we could have had but at least it's at home. And a chance for revenge for them putting us out a few years ago.

Embarrassing 2nd half, our substitutions were a total joke.

As soon as we lose a goal some of our players went AWOL.

Despite being the worst team we have faced LTHV deserved their point..

2 hours ago, Auld Heid said:

On the money, another rotten performance under Ferguson.  League over for us.

Points dropped at both of the bottom two clubs. We're the only point Sauchie have and half of LTHV's points. Four of our seven games have been against clubs in the bottom six and only one has been against someone in the top seven.

I'm really reluctant to criticise managers but I feel our squad is better than that.

13 minutes ago, Man from the East said:

They are out of sight just now. But this is when the pressure mounts on the expectation of every game. I'm sure others will come good. But agree that there may not be another challenger to those two. 

Those 2 are ahead and the rest looks so tight it could go anywhere 

12 minutes ago, GordonS said:

Points dropped at both of the bottom two clubs. We're the only point Sauchie have and half of LTHV's points. Four of our seven games have been against clubs in the bottom six and only one has been against someone in the top seven.

I thought things might have improved this season, but apart from Broxburn in November 2019, all your wins since the Premier Division was formed have come against teams in the bottom half:

• Haws and IHS
  • WW, Dunbar, Nitten, IHS, Tynecastle
  • Blackburn, Nitten, Broxburn, Dunbar, WW, Sauchie, Blackburn

36 minutes ago, Ginaro said:

I thought things might have improved this season, but apart from Broxburn in November 2019, all your wins since the Premier Division was formed have come against teams in the bottom half:

• Haws and IHS
  • WW, Dunbar, Nitten, IHS, Tynecastle
  • Blackburn, Nitten, Broxburn, Dunbar, WW, Sauchie, Blackburn

Interesting reading.

BF has been provided with more time and opportunity to build a team, than were afforded to his predecessors. 

Whilst there have been challenges along the way with pandemic etc.

The simple fact remains, the results under BF aren't good enough. 

For me, there is a good nucleus and definitely potential. 

However our game management yesterday was abysmal and the substitutions didn't help.

In case you missed them on the club's social channels, the goals from yesterday's match can be found here:

Apologies I didn't capture the manager's thoughts after the game - I was on the supporters' bus yesterday and they would have left without me! Normal service will return on Tuesday night.

A shame it didn't work out. I'm sure Ferguson will point to the big home wins and the cup win at Spartans, but IMO they only make the points dropped to clubs further down the table look worse. This squad is capable of a lot more than he was getting from them.

**  Brown Ferguson leaves Linlithgow Rose **

The Club is disappointed to announce that manager Brown Ferguson and his coaching staff of Steve Kerrigan and Myles Hogarth have been relieved of their duties and leave with immediate effect.

We would like to place on record a sincere thank you to Brown, Steve & Myles for their dedication and commitment throughout a very challenging period, particularly off the pitch and wish them all the very best for the future.

The process to appoint a new manager is underway and we will provide appropriate updates as and when we can as that process progresses.

First team coach, Craig Donaldson, has agreed to run the team on a caretaker basis commencing with tomorrow evening’s home fixture against Musselburgh Athletic F.C.

10 minutes ago, Auld Heid said:

**  Brown Ferguson leaves Linlithgow Rose **

The Club is disappointed to announce that manager Brown Ferguson and his coaching staff of Steve Kerrigan and Myles Hogarth have been relieved of their duties and leave with immediate effect.

We would like to place on record a sincere thank you to Brown, Steve & Myles for their dedication and commitment throughout a very challenging period, particularly off the pitch and wish them all the very best for the future.

The process to appoint a new manager is underway and we will provide appropriate updates as and when we can as that process progresses.

First team coach, Craig Donaldson, has agreed to run the team on a caretaker basis commencing with tomorrow evening’s home fixture against Musselburgh Athletic F.C.

Herdy to Lithgae?