UEFA Champions League 2019-20

Guest DAVIDB69
I’d suggest it was to do with the quality of the league being crap.

It’s an incredibly low standard this year which is why , spurs and Chelsea have suffered , why city will get turned over tomorrow and why liverpool will get found out due to lack of competition

Guest DAVIDB69
The defending Champions will get found out? [emoji1]

I don’t think they will win it not because they are not a good side , because the step up from the poor standard of opponents this season won’t help them against decent sides .

1 minute ago, DAVIDB69 said:

I don’t think they will win it not because they are not a good side , because the step up from the poor standard of opponents this season won’t help them against decent sides .

In the last year, Liverpool have beaten every decent side when they have needed to. They even put 4 past Barcelona at Anfield when everyone had written them off. The performance to beat Bayern in the last16 was outstanding too.

Liverpool's big advantage this year is that they will win the EPL within the next few weeks. At that point, Klopp can rest players for the CL if he wants to,

34 minutes ago, Bishop Briggs said:

In the last year, Liverpool have beaten every decent side when they have needed to. They even put 4 past Barcelona at Anfield when everyone had written them off. The performance to beat Bayern in the last16 was outstanding too.

Liverpool's big advantage this year is that they will win the EPL within the next few weeks. At that point, Klopp can rest players for the CL if he wants to,

I know that sounds like it makes sense, but I'm not sure there's any evidence that makes any difference, in fact the opposite is arguably true. Last season Liverpool had the pressure on in every single league game, needing to win every one, and still won the Champions League. This, despite it being largely agreed that they had a very thin squad.

I've watched the last couple of Liverpool games and they have looked a bit off the boil (by their ridiculously high standards obviously). We'll see more in the next few games, but it could be that the lack of a challenge has meant their intensity has dropped a notch.

Certainly the idea of being able to rest players for Champions League games doesn't seem to have done PSG any good in recent years. However playing in games which lack a real edge due to being miles ahead has certainly held them back.

Edited by Diamonds are Forever

1 hour ago, Theroadlesstravelled said:

How are Chelsea a top 4 side?

Outside of Liverpool, the quality of the 'top 6' has been as poor as I can remember. Spurs are at the end of a cycle and need to be regenerated, Arsenal have been Arsenal, Man Utd have their worst side in decades, Chelsea lost Hazard, had the transfer ban and have an inexperienced manager, and Man City's defence is rubbish having lost Kompany and Laporte.

It is quite conceivable that all 4 teams go out at this stage. Chelsea are out, Spurs are half way there, City have a really tough tie despite Madrid not firing fully, and Liverpool I'd say is a 50/50 shot whether they go through. It would be quite fitting given the standard of the top 6 this year if that were to happen.

So good we can finally agree that the Bundesliga or La Liga is the best league in the world.

It's been a pretty poor season for English clubs, all four sides look like they could be out of the CL, Manchester United still have a tricky 90mins against Klub Brugge. Misfiring Man City will probably need a miracle to defeat Real Madrid. Both Tottenham and Chelsea are pretty much out.

Only Wolves and Arsenal look like they will definitely be in the next round.

The absolute scenes when Scotland and England have the same number of clubs in European competition.

Edited by ArabAuslander

Yep, it’s a poor English league this season but it wasn’t long ago they had two teams in the final.

Bayern have come up against two sides who were struggling for various reasons at the time. I reckoned Chelsea would be outside top four and still think they’re a work in progress.