Scotland vs Cyprus saturday match thread

Oleksandr

• Replies 998
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Liam Palmer - 46 games for Tranmere, 217 games for Sheffield Wednesday

Stephen O'Donnell - 139 for Partick Thistle, 72 for Luton, 87 for Kilmarnock

Both the same age.

Who is the better player?  Oooooh tough one.  Well, O'Donnell has never played a single game at the level Palmer has played over 200...

2 minutes ago, KingRocketman II said:

the options suggested are truly laughable. but hey ho. 

They're not brilliant, except Tierney and Fredericks, but they're better than O'Donnell, which is kind of the point.  If you have better ones...

2 minutes ago, Ocular Patdown Required said:

Brophy needs Greg Stewart with him. 

he needs someone - he was isolated and the midfield did him no favours. the one decent cross of the evening happened to fall to Burke.

Robertson got man of the match but I though Fraser was outstanding. Not only did he look the good in attack but his work rate was fantastic to the point be looked like he was about to collapse at the end of the game.

On to Belgium mctominay will surely start here and can see Burke coming in for Brophy.

Just now, KingRocketman II said:

he needs someone - he was isolated and the midfield did him no favours. the one decent cross of the evening happened to fall to Burke.

Yeah, he works best playing in a 2 up top. Don't think it's a coincidence that his goal return from open play dried up after G Stew left for Aberdeen in January, even though he was injured for most of February if I remember correctly. But even still.. 

A win is a win, they showed good character to go ahead again after a potential crushing blow.

In time he'll need to get the balance of the squad right.

If he is going to rely on a team with the majority of players plying their trade in the Scottish Prem then we are in trouble.

We have got issues in nearly every position apart from left back and the 2 wingers when they are both available.

6 minutes ago, Kuro said:

Both the same age.

Who is the better player?  Oooooh tough one.  Well, O'Donnell has never played a single game at the level Palmer has played over 200...

How did Palmer play against Kazakhstan? 

1 minute ago, KingRocketman II said:

that is irrelevant. he earns more than O'Donnell. 

Of course he does, which is hugely enlightening.  Not only more, but probably 3 or 4 times as much.

Do you think if Sheffield Wednesday thought O'Donnell was better than Palmer they couldn't just buy him?  Or any club at that level?

1 minute ago, Kuro said:

Of course he does, which is hugely enlightening.  Not only more, but probably 3 or 4 times as much.

Do you think if Sheffield Wednesday thought O'Donnell was better than Palmer they couldn't just buy him?  Or any club at that level?

He was rank but encouraging at the same time

That burst through for his chance was good

But he routinely gave the ball away

Not caught up on here so might be going against the grain with some points:

It was a very similar game to Albania; we had a fair bit of deep possession occasionally transformed by McGinn or clever interchanges down the left. Robertson and Fraser, with McGregor often drifting wide, is an excellent left hand side and will create loads of opportunities. Sadly, I never thought any of those opportunities would result in a goal. Cyprus defended the crosses well, but there was never enough of a presence in the box.
I thought McGinn was the best player in the first half, although McLean did what he had to do very well. He sped up attacks from deep and always managed to seek out the man in space. I will need to watch him again though, as Cyprus did occasionally find space through the middle which I'm not sure was caused by him vacating it or McGinn and McGregor being too high.
Forrest was really quiet other than one run in the second half, but some of that was due to Cyprus really working hard to deny any space in the box. O'Donnell was just kind of there for most of the game.
I wasn't very kind about Burke just before he came on and while he is still pretty shite, it was a decent header that resulted in the goal. The campaign seemed done as soon as they scored and, more importantly, confidence in Clarke would've been so low, so it really was a massive goal.
I'm as satisfied with the performance as I was at half-time (and thereafter) but obviously happier with the outcome. Booing at half-time and in the second half was pretty bloody stupid.
Final point: sitting down in the North Stand should be outlawed - that's two games in a row where we've had to.

14 minutes ago, Kuro said:

Both the same age.

Are you saying Sheff Wed is a better level than Killie?
Not sure what Clarke knows about playing right back.

Just now, Binos said:

He was rank but encouraging at the same time

That burst through for his chance was good

But he routinely gave the ball away

He's just out of his depth at that level and a long-term solution is going to be required.  Fredericks could be it, and Tierney is a good option.

Just now, wastecoatwilly said:

Are you saying Sheff Wed is a better level than Killie?
Not sure what Clarke knows about playing right back.

Miles and miles and miles.  Completely different planet to Killie.  Are you seriously suggesting they're not?

Archived