NFL in the US

Calvin Johnson

Has anyone been over to the States for an NFL game? Myself and my cousin have just booked a 6 day trip and taking in the Eagles v Lions and Redskins v Bears.

Those that have been, how did you find it? Any decent tips? Eagles have, what looks like, an epic pub type complex next to the ground. Considering going to that and then just soaking in the tailgate at the Skins game. Anyone done tailgating? Can you just breeze up with a carry out and wander about?

Can't wait, luckily it's week 3, not long to go!

24 minutes ago, steelmen said:

Haven’t been but I am going to the broncos v bears at mile high (week 2 I think)... and I can’t fucking wait!!!

I’ve saw them at Wembley but I am positive it’ll be a million times better in the US.

Nice one! I've done London 3 times, this should hopefully blow it out the water.

Been to Metlife twice for Giants v Texans and Jets v Pats. 

It's a million times better than Wembley. I tailgated the second time, I found a Pats supporters club on FB and got chatting to them a few months before and met up with them on the day. You can just rock up with your carry out but it literally will just be a car park so if you can meet up with people it will be better as you will have somewhere to centre yourself, seats and food . 

Metlife wasnt like Wembley with entertainment and stall - literally just a car park so you might feel a bit spare wandering around but each stadium will be different. This is a decent book by a guy from the UK who went tailgating around different cities https://www.amazon.co.uk/Tailgate-Heaven-British-Tackles-America/dp/159797692X

Booze is pretty expensive in the stadium I was about $10 a beer at NFL and Hockey so  that must be about standard.

The only thing i found weird was everyone comes in about 20 minutes late and leaves 20 minutes early

Edited by invergowrie arab

1 minute ago, invergowrie arab said:

The only thing i found weird was everyone comes in about 20 minutes late and leaves 20 minutes early

That's generally been my experience at Firhill over the last couple of seasons tbf

Only time I've been in the US was a Jets - Giants pre season game at the old Meadowlands. I knew it wasn't the fiercest rivalry with them being in different conferences (and it being a preseason game) but still didn't know if there would be the odd bit of trouble,  first thing I saw after I got off the bus was a  (m/f) couple holding hands walking to the game, one with a Giants top on and one with a Jets.   Pretty sure it was circa $10 for a beer in the stadium and that was in 2008. 

Guess you've also got to work out how you're getting out to the stadium and back, doubt very many of them are anywhere near a city centre which is probably why so many folk tailgate. I don't remember it being too much of a ballache to get back but as it was a preseason game I don't think it was anywhere near selling out.

I ruined my experience by getting excessively hammered on the Saturday night and turning up at the Reliant (or NRG as it is now) for the Phins @ Texans with one of the worst hangovers I've ever had. My top tip would be to not do that.

I was at the last ever Giants game at the meadowlands, as they got absolutely pumped by one of the teams from the deep south (think it might've been the panthers).

Tailgating was a weird experience. I went with my brother in law, but we arrived at about 9am to get a good spot, and that's just not a normal BBQ / drinking environment in December. It got good after a few beers though.

Definitely 10 bucks or more for a beer in the stadium, so I'd recommend making a pal and getting tanked up in the parking lot before you go in (or the pub complex joint).

Tailgating experience was definitely the highlight for me.

This is the complex outside the Eagles stadium - https://www.xfinitylive.com/dining/nbc-sports-arena.

It opens at 11am so ideal for a few beers before the game. The stadium is just south of the city centre, think it's about a 30/40 minute walk from the centre, so pretty ideal.

Definitely going to try find an organised tailgate at the Skins game though. Read a few things and there is nothing around the stadium and its meant to be pretty rough too, it's also outwith the centre. I'll likely Uber it back as it won't finish til around midnight.

Cheers for the link Invergowrie, looks useful!

I'm guessing you guys have attended as a home team fan? I'm definitely not wearing Lions gear in Philly :lol:

Have been to a Redskins v Cowboys game at FedEx Field, last season’s Jets v Pats game at MetLife, and, the best sporting event I’ve ever been at - bar seeing St Mirren win two cups obviously - the Broncos beating the Patriots at Mile High in what was the Superbowl 50 winning season. Sunday night football, in the snow. Manning had his foot injury, so Osweiler made his home debut as starting QB. Great game - goes into OT, and the Broncos win as CJ Anderson takes an Osweiler hand-off, skips past three Patriots, and runs it in for the winning TD.

As Mile High erupts, and my wife and I go mental in the stands, that cnut Brady storms off at 100mph, never stops to shake Osweiler (or anyone’s) hand and runs up the Patriots tunnel with a face like Robert Kraft being busted in a Florida whore house.... magnificent. The atmosphere was electric. 

Have also done the stadium tours at Mile High (twice), both the old and new Cowboys stadiums, Louisiana Superdome, University of Phoenix Stadium, the old Georgia Dome, and Century Link in Seattle.

Have also attended a game at Wembley every season since seeing the Broncos lose to the 49ers there in 2010. Got to see Tebow’s first TD in the NFL though. Going to both Wembley games this coming season. Will wait to see reports on how it went at the new Spurs gaff’ before trying a game there.

Edited by pozbaird

• 3 weeks later...
On 15/06/2019 at 22:47, pozbaird said:

Have been to a Redskins v Cowboys game at FedEx Field, last season’s Jets v Pats game at MetLife, and, the best sporting event I’ve ever been at - bar seeing St Mirren win two cups obviously - the Broncos beating the Patriots at Mile High in what was the Superbowl 50 winning season. Sunday night football, in the snow. Manning had his foot injury, so Osweiler made his home debut as starting QB. Great game - goes into OT, and the Broncos win as CJ Anderson takes an Osweiler hand-off, skips past three Patriots, and runs it in for the winning TD.

As Mile High erupts, and my wife and I go mental in the stands, that cnut Brady storms off at 100mph, never stops to shake Osweiler (or anyone’s) hand and runs up the Patriots tunnel with a face like Robert Kraft being busted in a Florida whore house.... magnificent. The atmosphere was electric. 

Have also done the stadium tours at Mile High (twice), both the old and new Cowboys stadiums, Louisiana Superdome, University of Phoenix Stadium, the old Georgia Dome, and Century Link in Seattle.

Have also attended a game at Wembley every season since seeing the Broncos lose to the 49ers there in 2010. Got to see Tebow’s first TD in the NFL though. Going to both Wembley games this coming season. Will wait to see reports on how it went at the new Spurs gaff’ before trying a game there.

How did you find FedEx Field? Any advice on the surrounding area or tailgate?

30 minutes ago, Calvin Johnson said:

How did you find FedEx Field? Any advice on the surrounding area or tailgate?

We were staying in a hotel near the centre of DC, not far from the White House. The stadium is about eleven miles away from the downtown DC core. We took a train, then a fleet of buses was laid on at the train station which serves the stadium to shuttle fans to and from the stadium itself. It was pretty well organised. The stadium itself was fine. Big, very big. Obviously been overtaken architecturally and on many other levels by places like the new Vikings and Falcons stadiums, and I believe the Redskins want to move from FedEx. I enjoyed the experience, the big crowd, good food concourses. In many ways, I found MetLife in NYC to be a lot like the FedEx experience, MetLife is just a more modern version of FedEx Field. We never tailgated at FedEx. Took some external photos and entered the stadium. We did a bit of tailgating at both MetLife and Mile High.... Mile High was feckin’ amazing.

My main advice if attending a game at FedEx would be very simple - check and double check all transport to and from it, from where you are staying. Make sure you research the train times, the distance, and leave yourself a ton of time..

Edited by pozbaird

15 hours ago, pozbaird said:

We were staying in a hotel near the centre of DC, not far from the White House. The stadium is about eleven miles away from the downtown DC core. We took a train, then a fleet of buses was laid on at the train station which serves the stadium to shuttle fans to and from the stadium itself. It was pretty well organised. The stadium itself was fine. Big, very big. Obviously been overtaken architecturally and on many other levels by places like the new Vikings and Falcons stadiums, and I believe the Redskins want to move from FedEx. I enjoyed the experience, the big crowd, good food concourses. In many ways, I found MetLife in NYC to be a lot like the FedEx experience, MetLife is just a more modern version of FedEx Field. We never tailgated at FedEx. Took some external photos and entered the stadium. We did a bit of tailgating at both MetLife and Mile High.... Mile High was feckin’ amazing.

My main advice if attending a game at FedEx would be very simple - check and double check all transport to and from it, from where you are staying. Make sure you research the train times, the distance, and leave yourself a ton of time..

Cheers mate - some good stuff.

It's a MNF game, I previously looked at public transport and it ends before the game ends but I believe they lay on additional transport for late games. Worst comes to worst I'll book an Uber or something. Think we'll head over a couple of hours before the game and have a scope around the tailgate. We're doing Xfinity at the Eagles game the day before so definitely want to at least sample some tailgating.

I've been to MetLife for Giants vs Skins, Gilette for Pats vs Texans which was a Thursday night, and last season I was in Oakland for the Raiders/Rams MNF in week one. 

All 3 very different experiences and all very different to, but not necessarily more enjoyable than, London. 

The only advice for MetLife is be prepared to wait a fucking age to get back to NYC after the game. It's a whole day basically by the time you get out there and back. 

Raiders was the best, mostly because the Rams won but those fans are mental. Probably loudest stadium I've ever been to, only thing that would challenge it is Millenium Stadium in Cardiff. We were advised not to wear rams gear and it was a good recommendation - although they'd calmed down by the 4th quarter when it was clear they were getting pumped. 

28 minutes ago, BillyAnchor said:

If you can get to a college game on the Saturday I would highly recommend it.  

I'd love to but we're doing 2 NFL games in 5 days so will want to spend the rest of the time exploring the 2 cities. Maybe next time.

On 04/07/2019 at 19:12, steelmen said:

Less than 2 weeks until tickets go on sale, I’ve registered everywhere!!

I’ve got tickets for longhorns on the Saturday after. Looking forward to it but the broncos at mile high is one off the bucket list.

I've already got my tickets via the Ticketmaster Exchange. Probably overspent but not really that bothered.

I'd definitely love a college game but there aren't any elite sides in either Philly or Washington (that I'm aware of?). I guess there is Temple but they play at LFF, I'd rather my first experience of that stadium was the Eagles/Lions on the Sunday.

I’m not too bad, if I don’t get one in the public sale, my daughters friends mum is from Denver and her family said they will sort me out so I don’t get ripped off.
Seems a weird way to work sign up for season ticket but never actually go the games!

Had a tour round texas’ stadium and it’s tough getting your head round they have bigger stadiums than we have in this country for professional sport and it’s just for college games. You’d be lucky to get 5 folk to a college thing here.

25 minutes ago, steelmen said:

I’m not too bad, if I don’t get one in the public sale, my daughters friends mum is from Denver and her family said they will sort me out so I don’t get ripped off.
Seems a weird way to work sign up for season ticket but never actually go the games!

Had a tour round texas’ stadium and it’s tough getting your head round they have bigger stadiums than we have in this country for professional sport and it’s just for college games. You’d be lucky to get 5 folk to a college thing here.

Ah right, definitely makes sense for you to wait then. Didn't overpay much for the Skins v Bears game but definitely overpaid for the Eagles game. Guess it's the price to pay to see a decent team, Redskins probably can't give tickets away :lol: