Scotland vs Japan, 14th June, 2pm

lichtie23

Think the draw was a great result for us. Second in the group looking much more possible, although would need to take something from Japan and beat Argentina or vice versa. 

Or just beat them both and cruise through to the next round!

11 hours ago, GordonS said:

The target always had to be four points, and I guess if Japan are misfiring that's a good thing. 

The draw does mean that Japan will realistically have to beat us to qualify – so it's not ideal as they're a good team and will be up for it.

On the other hand, looking at the tables I can see us qualifying even if we lose to Japan. Three points could well be enough – and I think that's what Shelley Kerr is banking on. Group A is looking pretty divided already with the bottom two teams having poor goal differences, and in Group F you'd expect Chile and Thailand to be hammered by USA and Sweden.

Edited by Mr Heliums

2 hours ago, Mr Heliums said:

The draw does mean that Japan will realistically have to beat us to qualify – so it's not ideal as they're a good team and will be up for it.

On the other hand, looking at the tables I can see us qualifying even if we lose to Japan. Three points could well be enough – and I think that's what Shelley Kerr is banking on. Group A is looking pretty divided already with the bottom two teams having poor goal differences, and in Group F you'd expect Chile and Thailand to be hammered by USA and Sweden.

A few draws between the weaker teams in the others group so a couple of third placed finish on 1 point would help massively. This or the third teams taking a real tanking from the top two in their group. 

After that second half from us and Japan looking a bit sluggish yesterday, I’m more hopeful about Friday then I was before.  Think we’ll get more chances than we did against England. 

4 hours ago, Mr Heliums said:

True. We'd need two third-placed teams to be worse than us, you're right that Chile/Thailand could take a couple of doings that would knacker their goal difference. My (totally ignorant) concern was that the four African teams would be weak and the third-placed teams in those groups would have a chance to improve their goal difference, but there have been no real mugs so far and I thought Cameroon showed enough to suggest they'll be a big problem for New Zealand.

Anyway, we're Scotland so one of the following is going to happen:

We'll beat Japan, lose to Argentina and finish bottom.

We'll lose badly to Japan, beat Argentina well, then be knocked out thanks to an injury time VAR horror show in the very last group match to be finish, Chile v Thailand.

Guest Moomintroll
True. We'd need two third-placed teams to be worse than us, you're right that Chile/Thailand could take a couple of doings that would knacker their goal difference. My (totally ignorant) concern was that the four African teams would be weak and the third-placed teams in those groups would have a chance to improve their goal difference, but there have been no real mugs so far and I thought Cameroon showed enough to suggest they'll be a big problem for New Zealand.
We'll lose badly to Japan, beat Argentina well, then be knocked out thanks to an injury time VAR horror show in the very last group match to be finish, Chile v Thailand.
I am morbidly curious as to how we are going to scots this one.

Guest Bob Mahelp

Argentina are feckin awful. If we don't beat them we don't deserve to go through to the next stages anyway.

There are some pretty rank teams in these group stages that will have poor goal differences. Even a narrow loss to Japan, then a win against Argentina would have to see a ridiculous set of results elsewhere to keep us out of a best 3rd place slot.

Absolutely no reason at all though why we shouldn't be looking to beat a Japanese team that has great ball skills, but little of the physicality, pace and cutting edge of England.

Thailand have delivered on your promise of a doing! America beat them 13-0.

8 hours ago, HibeeJibee said:

Seems a high chance South Korea, Jamaica and Thailand are going to ship lots of goals... if say South Africa follow suit it'd look unlikely to qualify with 3pts, unless a draw happened elsewhere.

Depends how much of a scutching the 3rd place teams take from the top 2.

Guest Bob Mahelp
2 hours ago, roverthemoon said:

Terrible teams in the fourth slot are a double edged sword. Give the third placed team a chance to rack up three points and a good goal difference to qualify. 

You have Chile and Thailand (-2 and -13 respectively) in beside the USA and Sweden, and Nigeria and South Korea (already on -3 and -4 respectively) in beside France and Norway.

Let's presume Chile beat Thailand and Nigeria beat South Korea, it's still likely that both these countries will have a really big negative goal difference despite having 3 points.

Even a narrow defeat against Japan would still leave Scotland in a decent position going into the Argentina game (who are ranked below Thailand by the way). 

4 out of the 6 3rd place teams get through, and really for Scotland it should all hinge on beating Argentina. Or do it the easy way, and beat Japan on Friday.

Guest Bob Mahelp

Well, Nigeria beat South Korea 2-0 to effectively knock the Koreans out and give themselves 3 points with a -1 goal difference.

They've got to play France next though who will absolutely scud them. They'll end up in 3rd place in the group with 3 points and a goal difference of say, -4 or 5. 

It's highly unlikely that if Scotland ended up with only 3 points by beating Argentina, that our goal difference would be worse. 

As I said above, I suspect the other no-hope 3rd place will be Chile in the USA/Sweden group. 

All we need is 3 points !!  :lol:

12 hours ago, Bob Mahelp said:

All we need is 3 points !!  :lol:

It’s the hope that kills you!

Although I’m starting to think we’ll get something out of Fridays game.  But even if we don’t then we’ve a shot at the Argentina game.

A draw today between South Africa and China would be handy 

Edited by roverthemoon

Well, Nigeria beat South Korea 2-0 to effectively knock the Koreans out and give themselves 3 points with a -1 goal difference.
They've got to play France next though who will absolutely scud them. They'll end up in 3rd place in the group with 3 points and a goal difference of say, -4 or 5. 
It's highly unlikely that if Scotland ended up with only 3 points by beating Argentina, that our goal difference would be worse. 
As I said above, I suspect the other no-hope 3rd place will be Chile in the USA/Sweden group. 
All we need is 3 points !!  [emoji38]
If France and USA's groups were the ones in which the 3rd placed team missed out, and we finish 3rd, we'd have Germany in Grenoble. That match appears to be sold out, which would be a pisser. Anybody know how to get hold of tickets for these?

6 hours ago, GordonS said:
On 12/06/2019 at 18:39, Bob Mahelp said:
All we need is 3 points !!  emoji38.png

If France and USA's groups were the ones in which the 3rd placed team missed out, and we finish 3rd, we'd have Germany in Grenoble. That match appears to be sold out, which would be a pisser. Anybody know how to get hold of tickets for these?

At men’s tournaments I think the two associations are usually given an allocation to  sell to their fans. Although there’s no sign of the SFA being in France so not sure how they would work it. Fingers crossed we get second in the group. 

Quite possible that if the match is sold out then it's because of touts hoping to fleece the German fans. Just go to the game and pay over the odds for tickets.