Quarter finals

GordonS

21 hours ago, Henderson to deliver ..... said:

Screenshot_20190627-221653.thumb.png.523e354728d0b9838a3da148261895d7.png

'Bronze's 30 yard thunderbolt'

It was about a yard outside the box.

On a related note, from the little women's football I have watched, it does seem a disproportionate amount if goals are scored straight over the goalie's head like this one. There have been quite a few in this world cup alone. Scotland lost one against Japan I think and also the 2nd one against Argentina was purely down to the goalie not being able to reach the ball.

The goalies do get criticised quite a lot but in fairness the average female goalie is probably about 5-6 inches smaller than the average male goalie, yet have the same size net to defend. You could have the best handling in the world but if you can't reach the crossbar then it doesn't matter. It's the only position on the park where their smaller stature compared to men does put them at a disadvantage, with the outfielders the difference in size is relative because your opposition will be the same. If you made men play in goal posts that were 6 inches taller and 12 inches wider we'd see lots more of the same types of goals.

In short, although it sounds (and is) incredibly simple, guess I'm saying that hitting the ball high from around the edge if the area seems a pretty good tactic as opposed to trying to work it into perfect scoring situations.

Edited by Diamonds are Forever

Just now, Mr. Brightside said:

Where has this myth come from that the women don't dive? Absolute nonsense.

It's notable because it's so rare. Domestically, I've never seen any challenge result in what looked like a dive. I genuinely didn't realise how much the men dive until I watched women's football.

As the stakes increase I'm sure it'll become more common though.

8 minutes ago, Diamonds are Forever said:

On a related note, from the little women's football I have watched, it does seem a disproportionate amount if goals are scored straight over the goalie's head like this one. There have been quite a few in this world cup alone. Scotland lost one against Japan I think and also the 2nd one against Argentina was purely down to the goalie not being able to reach the ball.

The goalies do get criticised quite a lot but in fairness the average female goalie is probably about 5-6 inches smaller than the average male goalie, yet have the same size net to defend. You could have the best handling in the world but if you can't reach the crossbar then it doesn't matter. It's the only position on the park where their smaller stature compared to men does put them at a disadvantage, with the outfielders the difference in size is relative because your opposition will be the same. If you made men play in goal posts that were 6 inches taller and 12 inches wider we'd see lots more of the same types of goals.

In short, although it sounds (and is) incredibly simple, guess I'm saying that hitting the ball high from around the edge if the area seems a pretty good tactic as opposed to trying to work it into perfect scoring situations.

It's been mentioned before but the average woman is now around the same height as a man was when the football goal dimensions were defined.  So if anything women's football is more representative of what the game should look like....

8 minutes ago, GordonS said:

Are there really people out there who like Jonathon Pierce? There must be, otherwise the BBC would get someone else. Who are these people?

He's just living off past glories.

Spoiler

ddyzgl.gif

9 minutes ago, GordonS said:

It's notable because it's so rare. Domestically, I've never seen any challenge result in what looked like a dive. I genuinely didn't realise how much the men dive until I watched women's football.

As the stakes increase I'm sure it'll become more common though.

And immediately there's a really shocking dive. Ah well.