Scotland Squad announce before September game

• Replies 407
  • Created
  • Last Reply
21 hours ago, GordonS said:

Does anyone know how Russia set up and play these days? Let's be honest, both of the teams we're facing are better than us and what we do without the ball is going to be more important than what we do when we have it. Best I can work out is that they usually play 4-2-3-1, with Monaco's Golovin the main man in the number 10 role, though they played 5-4-1 in Brussels. Are their full backs any good?

Against Brussels it's going to be backs-to-the-wall with the need for a good and easy target to get out.

Scotland aren't good at being canny and inviting opponents on to us, we doin't have the players to have two banks of four and sit deep when we don't have posession. We need to play assertive, front-foot football, so we need to try to get a grip in midfield. Against Russia, swamp it with five busy guys biting legs off? 

That big Dzyuba up top will be a handful if he's playing, absolute unit of a man! Don't worry tho, big Hanley will sort him oot! :unsure2:

We do tend to up our game a wee bit when we play one of the big dogs, Russia are by no means a "big dog" but you'd like to think we will go into the game in the mindset that a win against them will be a huge upset, it's basically a must win and hope to nick a point against Belgium at home or Russia away. I'd just go for it, we have cracking players bombing forward who can cause some damage, sitting back allowing them to pass it right to left and suckerpunch us late in the 2nd half better not be the way it pans out, as it always does.

I'm kinda confident we can sneak a win in a very tight game under the FLOODIES!

2-1

Russia are nothing to be scared of. The big striker is a unit but I think we have a better midfield than theirs. That's our strong point. Use that to our advantage and get at them right from the start. None of this standing off letting them pass it about nonsense. That's usually the case with these games recently. We should be using the atmosphere and home turf to our advantage. 

3 hours ago, M0rtonfc said:

That big Dzyuba up top will be a handful if he's playing, absolute unit of a man! Don't worry tho, big Hanley will sort him oot! :unsure2:

As little confidence as I have in our defence, Dzyuba seems to be the kind of forward I would worry less about. It's guys like Eden Hazard that bring me out in cold sweats.

I've jinxed it now, haven't I.

1 hour ago, DAFC. said:

We should be using the atmosphere and home turf to our advantage. 

The Russia game in particular is so important not just to this group, but to our next few months and Euro 2020 in general.  We've got our playoff semi-final at Hampden next March, and if the team can't get themselves up for this game, which is winnable, and could lead to them not having to rely on that cut-throat playoff game, then we're fucked.  

28 minutes ago, Jeremiah Cole said:

Griffiths is a League One reject!

Who has played and scored in Europe, has he not?

How many's Matt Smith got in the Champions League and Europa League?  How many appearances?  I'd say I'd wait for the answer, but...you know.

Guest DAVIDB69
I've never heard of Matt Smith, the footballer.  Just had to Google him.  

Some 30 year old that plays for Millwall I am assuming

Midfield is our strong point in terms of personnel but in games like this I worry that it doesnt have that guy (reminds me of England in this respect) whos primary aim is controlling the tempo of the game.

McTominay has the potential to be that guy maybe but he doesnt dominate in the way we need yet in order not to have at least some spells in games like this where we are getting swarmed and cant get out.

15 hours ago, Bairnardo said:

Midfield is our strong point in terms of personnel but in games like this I worry that it doesnt have that guy (reminds me of England in this respect) whos primary aim is controlling the tempo of the game.

McTominay has the potential to be that guy maybe but he doesnt dominate in the way we need yet in order not to have at least some spells in games like this where we are getting swarmed and cant get out.

Ryan Jack

19 hours ago, Jeremiah Cole said:

Griffiths is a League One reject!

Absolute pish. Scored a goal every two games in that league. 

Matt Smith on the other hand has only ever had 2 seasons in his career where he hit double figures and he’s highest ever total was 12 in a season averaging a goal every 4 games.  Have you even see this big lump of shite play? Because I have. And a lot! 

Save the comedy for the professionals. 

Who has played and scored in Europe, has he not?
How many's Matt Smith got in the Champions League and Europa League?  How many appearances?  I'd say I'd wait for the answer, but...you know.

All totally irrelevant to the fact that Griffiths wasn’t good enough for League One!

Absolute pish. Scored a goal every two games in that league. 

And some of those were penalty kicks! He was the playing for the league leaders as well!

They benched him then got shot of him.

Why?

Cos he’s not good enough!

Matt Smith is playing at a domestic level higher
than Griffiths has ever played at.

He’s a big target man who would provide a cracking alternative from the bench.

Archived