Scotland Squad announce before September game

On 31/08/2019 at 15:05, Jeremiah Cole said:

And some of those were penalty kicks! He was the playing for the league leaders as well!

They benched him then got shot of him.

Why?

Cos he’s not good enough!

Matt Smith is playing at a domestic level higher
than Griffiths has ever played at.

He’s a big target man who would provide a cracking alternative from the bench.

Mate, come on. You know it’s pish 

42 minutes ago, dumpweed said:

Defending is all about balance and body shape.

A lot of players find it un-natural to defend on the opposite side. Similar reason as why most full backs can't play both sides.

It's easier further up the field as there is more freedom in attacking.

I would accept that if the following post wasn't entirely correct...

20 minutes ago, eez-eh said:

You almost never hear anyone moaning when we have two right-footed centre halves but the second it’s two left-footers the world starts to cave in.

I've genuinely never heard anyone complain about having two right footed centre backs. I also hate that footballers are allowed to carry on with the "weaker foot" excuse. They're paid to kick a fucking ball every day, they should be comfortable collecting it from any direction with any foot and if they aren't they should be working their bollocks off until they are.

6 hours ago, Bairnardo said:

For me, Christie is a must. He is the Griffiths esque, all else fails he might just rip one into the top bin wildcard. He is more than that too, but he us the only guy in the side who can go it.

That's true, his goal threat is excellent and he's full of confidence. I think his energy will be a massive bonus for us, any of the games I've seen him in he's everywhere, going forward, tracking back, incredible engine.

Jeremiah Cole is clueless.

6 minutes ago, M0rtonfc said:

That's true, his goal threat is excellent and he's full of confidence. I think his energy will be a massive bonus for us, any of the games I've seen him in he's everywhere, going forward, tracking back, incredible engine.

Jeremiah Cole is clueless.

Yeah he has long since had his opinion disregarded. Roaster. 

6 minutes ago, the snudge said:

I'd go for that but I'm no a footballing genius like Steve Clarke so I'll leave it up to him. 

scotland-russia-belgium-f3df748bc1017eefe0ff69ac9c3d285f.jpg

That's possibly our strongest lineup, though the only reliable holder in midfield is McT. Do we need a second? Then again don't want to fall into that same trap Rangers did and play too many sitters and leave ourselves short in creativity.

Also, Cooper. I just have a bad feeling about him. There's been a strong suggestion before that he wasn't keen on playing for us, and his career so far screams 'journeyman'. Bates and Mulgrew at least give a tad of consistency at CB from previous squads

Edited by Gordopolis

I've genuinely never heard anyone complain about having two right footed centre backs. I also hate that footballers are allowed to carry on with the "weaker foot" excuse. They're paid to kick a fucking ball every day, they should be comfortable collecting it from any direction with any foot and if they aren't they should be working their bollocks off until they are.
Right-footed centre-backs are more likely to have had experience playing with other right-footed centre-backs and therefore having to play on the left of a two. Very few left-footed centre-backs have much experience on the right of a two.

Players can adapt to it, but it does take a very particular type of player. I'm not sure a big lump like McKenna or Lindsay could do it as well as a more cultured player like Mulgrew has done.

3 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

Right-footed centre-backs are more likely to have had experience playing with other right-footed centre-backs and therefore having to play on the left of a two. Very few left-footed centre-backs have much experience on the right of a two.

Players can adapt to it, but it does take a very particular type of player. I'm not sure a big lump like McKenna or Lindsay could do it as well as a more cultured player like Mulgrew has done.

McKenna has played as part of a left sided centre back combination with Considine for the majority of the last two seasons. Cultured player though he is but Mulgrew has made more mistakes playing for Scotland in recent years than the other CB's have combined.

10 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

I honestly think this is just a problem thought up by fans. But I concede I'm hardly Jose Mourinho so if it's a real issue then I'll happily stand corrected.

McKenna has played as part of a left sided centre back combination with Considine for the majority of the last two seasons. Cultured player though he is but Mulgrew has made more mistakes playing for Scotland in recent years than the other CB's have combined.
Well obviously he has because he has played about 10 times as many games as any of the rest of them.

1 minute ago, craigkillie said:
1 hour ago, Rodhull said:

Well obviously he has because he has played about 10 times as many games as any of the rest of them.

McKenna and Bates alone will have played at least as often as him I would think and made less mistakes.

2 hours ago, Gordopolis said:

Also, Cooper. I just have a bad feeling about him. There's been a strong suggestion before that he wasn't keen on playing for us, and his career so far screams 'journeyman'. Bates and Mulgrew at least give a tad of consistency at CB from previous squads

Cooper has come on leaps and bounds under Bielsa and has shone for a top Championship team for a number of years now. Bates has been dumped by a crap Hamburg team and can't get a game for Sheff Wed.

Have you watched these players play at all?

Cooper has come on leaps and bounds under Bielsa and has shone for a top Championship team for a number of years now. Bates has been dumped by a crap Hamburg team and can't get a game for Sheff Wed.
Have you watched these players play at all?
It's probably because any time I've watched cooper (just here and there) he's had a mare, but I appreciate that he's nailed down a place for a well respected coach in a team that is doing really well.

I've seen Bates mainly for Scotland. For the u21s I thought he stood out as pacey and good at reading attacks, and He was an important part of our NL group success.
I'm sure Bates has had stinkers and Cooper blinders that I've not seen. Presumably Clarke sees them as a similar-ish level. I reckon if Bates had been playing at Wednesday he'd probably have been in the original squad.

Just had a look at UEFA's website and it does actually seem to be three (blame P+B and the BBC default_sad.png ). Still think he'll go for McLean though.

Indeed it is 3 yellows.

52.02 In case of repeated cautions:

a. in the qualifying competition, a player is suspended for the next competition

match after three cautions in three different matches, as well as after the fifth and any subsequent caution;