Scotland Squad announce before September game

25 minutes ago, gannonball said:

I know its league one but I was just reading that Lindsay was part of defence last season that broke defensive records last year and is now back playing in the championship. Surprised with so many centre backs out he hasn’t still been called up.

Same, the fact Lindsay cant even get in the squad makes me wonder if there is something in his game i just cant see, or if hes just been forgotten about. 

I hope he will eventually come onto a game, but Hanley gives me the fear. Mulgrew i can understand, as although he has lost a few yards of pace, he can at least lob an accurate pass from CB forward, and he has a good bank of experience against top pros.I hope Cooper gets the nod to partner to partner him. 

I will be keen to seen the midfield setup from Clarke. We have a lot of individually good players in the squad, but the balance is key. On form a central midfield triangle of Mctominay, Mcginn, and Mcgregor is a good proposition, Forrest and Fraser on either wings is probably as strong as we will get.

Up front i could't pick the starter. McBurnie for me would be the call, but he hasnt proven himself in the scotland jersey quite yet, Naismith coming back from injury would surely be a good sub option if we are chasing. 

5 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

Stoke have the worst defensive record in the league and sit bottom with one point. Maybe he's been superb and it's the 10 bodies around him to blame, but maybe he's not actually been playing well?

I'd probably still have called up him or Halkett mind you.

He has played in the championship before and did alright then so its not as if he’s struggled with the jump. I think him or Halkett would have made sense maybe not for game time but just to bed them them in and compare against the current crop.

1 minute ago, FullTimePint said:

Same, the fact Lindsay cant even get in the squad makes me wonder if there is something in his game i just cant see, or if hes just been forgotten about. 

I hope he will eventually come onto a game, but Hanley gives me the fear. Mulgrew i can understand, as although he has lost a few yards of pace, he can at least lob an accurate pass from CB forward, and he has a good bank of experience against top pros.I hope Cooper gets the nod to partner to partner him. 

To be honest I see so many of the centre backs at much the same level but when you see the likes of Jack Hendry called up instead of him in the past who has been pretty below average at levels he has played better at above at I find it strange he is hardly mentioned. I doubt he is the obvious answer to our centre back issue but he deserves a call up ahead of the likes of Devlin at times. 

2 hours ago, Gordopolis said:

My first impression was 'hmmm'. Scanning the squad list, I thought it looked like CLarke had dropped most of the younger players and pulled in older guys from the cold.  In reality, some of the better young players (McKenna and, erm, that's it) are injured.

GKs

Thank feck for Marshall. Not really a fan of waiting eagerly for Gunn to deign to play for us

DFs

Hanley is fine - clumsy but overall no worse than our other CB options.

Cooper I'm unsure about.  I would have thought Lindsay would be a decent fourth option for this one?

MFs

For some reason it feels as if there is someone missing from this area, but looking at the player pool available I think this is actually our strongest possible midfield selection. Also, looking at the clubs they play at it's all OF/EPL. Totally different class from defence and strikers.

FWDs

Griffiths: I'm not hugely bothered as tbh he's not exactly on fire for Celtic just now, and we can't be sure he ever will get back to that level again.

Getting bored of hoping Burke will come good and the fact he's vanished into the WBA ether again (not even in their squad since the first day of the season) just makes me think it's futile to consider him until he actually starts making headlines at club level.

Russell and Phillips still seem very 'meh' to me, but as usual, there are spaces in the squad to be filled...

Snodgrass is a decent addition to the squad but I hope we don't sacrifice one of our speedy wingers for him just to keep him happy. 

In essence, McBurnie is the only exciting choice here for me (but not that exciting). Hope Clarke can find a good way of getting the best out of Forrest McSocks Fraser, and that we'll quickly forget about Steven Fletcher.

Anyway, my preferred XI would be:

Marshall

Jack Hanley Mulgrew Robertson

McTominay McGregor

Forrest  McGinn Fraser

McBurnie

I'd go with most of that although I'd have Cooper in ahead of Hanley. Cooper has always looked a decent player when I've watched him for Leeds, he can pass a ball out of defence and is a good organiser (Leeds Captain) and always gives 100%.

We're not exactly blessed with options back there and although Hanley is another who always gives his all, I just feel that Cooper isn't as rash and is a far better distributor from back there.

We can only hope that Michael Rose keeps developing at Coventry and if so we may soon have a real quality CH at our disposal..........

Hanley played 9 games for Norwich last season and many of them were from the bench. He’s only played for them this season because they have injuries and it’s fair to say he’s looked fairly pish - just because he’s playing in the Premier League doesn’t mean he should be playing for Scotland.

Hanley was first pick at the start of last season and was captain.

He lost his place after he got injured and couldn’t get back as Norwich had gone on a great run.

We have no one better

1 hour ago, The Moonster said:

From a fans point of view, maybe.

True. Though I'll bet many, if not most, international players see it that way too. I'll bet Steven Naismith is feeling today how most of us would in his shoes.

35 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

Stoke have the worst defensive record in the league and sit bottom with one point. Maybe he's been superb and it's the 10 bodies around him to blame, but maybe he's not actually been playing well?

I'd probably still have called up him or Halkett mind you.

Cooper getting called a bombscare while Lindsay is the second coming of Baresi.

Top of the table Leeds demolished bottom of the table Stoke 3-0 on Saturday.

The spinning of Hanley being the last resort CB for Norwich as a sign of his quality never gets old.

He's a midtable Championship player at best that we have all seen has been terrible for Scotland. The other defenders are of similar ability but have more potential so deserve the chance to prove themselves. Hanley should only be seen as a last resort for Scotland too and given the numbers missing this may well be the reason for his inclusion.

Good to see Snodgrass back

I’d go without a striker and play with a false 9 and allow Forrest and Fraser more freedom, using them to hit on the break

Belgium play with 3 central defenders and 2 attacking full backs so this would be a good tactic against them

Marshall

Palmer

Hanley

Cooper

Robertson

McGinn

McTominay

McGregor

Forrest

Snodgrass

Fraser

That should be an end to the Che Adams/Angus Gunn talk now. They clearly don’t want it. If they did, this was the perfect time to start. 

Yip, that should be that, but leave the door open for them.

Hanley played 9 games for Norwich last season and many of them were from the bench. He’s only played for them this season because they have injuries

Distortion of the facts here. He started last season as Captain and played regularly until injuries. Due to the form of others, he couldn’t get back into the team. This season, he has started the season as Captain and playing as regular as he could.

Hanley is getting a bit of a kick in here and on social media. He’s not as bad as many Male him out to be, we’ve had worse playing for us over the years.

Distortion of the facts here. He started last season as Captain and played regularly until injuries. Due to the form of others, he couldn’t get back into the team. This season, he has started the season as Captain and playing as regular as he could.

Hanley is getting a bit of a kick in here and on social media. He’s not as bad as many Male him out to be, we’ve had worse playing for us over the years.
You've missed out a lot of the facts here too.
Norwich wanted to send him out on loan to the championship during the summer. Hanley said he wanted to fight for his place. Being Captain doesn't mean much if they want to get rid. Just look at Mulgrew.
Also, most people believe those in form defenders for Norwich will both be back as starters in a few weeks.