Scotland Squad announce before September game

Think John Fleck only missed out on the last squad due to his wedding. I’d imagine he must be in line for being called up if fit. Definitely agree that Shinnie is likely to miss out.
Fleck's got a hamstring injury. Wilder said he wasn't close to playing at the weekend.
Presumably he'll miss out again.

I can't say I've ever rated him particularly highly tbh. Its a shame there's basically no friendlies anymore. I'd liked to have seen him in a Scotland strip to see what he can do.

51 minutes ago, TheGoon said:

Agree on Jack being in the squad, ultimately doesn't really matter though.  If Clarke wants to exclude him just to wind up Rangers fans again them I’m all for it tbh.

There we go, confirmed in the squad by STV.

1 hour ago, TheGoon said:

Agree on Jack being in the squad, ultimately doesn't really matter though.  If Clarke wants to exclude him just to wind up Rangers fans again them I’m all for it tbh.

Pathetic really, as Scotland fans we should wanting the best players picked no matter who they play for. 

9 hours ago, DrewDon said:

I've been pretty impressed by Jack when I've watched him under Gerrard, especially this season; looks a better, more complete midfielder than he did when he left us. Can't really begrudge him a call-up. 

Yep, he's been excellent.

Listened to the official Scotland podcast. Clarke said a couple of interesting things.

He said there won't be as much continuity in this squad.

He's had varying degrees of success with bringing players back into the fold who've been gone a while. Says some getting older and the financial reward of playing in England is too much/players think it's better for them to rest over international breaks. Also mentioned how some of them had given a lot for their country. I can only think of Fletcher/Snodgrass/Mulgrew/Hanley for that. I'm thinking Fletcher is maybe done with international football.

They're trying to get scouts to fly over to Italy and Spain to keep an eye on players.

Said Angus Gunn thinks he can get in the England squad at some point so he is keeping his options open and wont be called for Scotland just now.

Edit: squad announced in an hour

Ryan Jack seemingly in the squad. I’d be quite happy to try him at right back.

From Charger’s synopsis, I’d hazard a guess that Hanley is in the squad, but Snodgrass isn’t. I’m not quite sure what it means to have varying degrees of success with regards to the English based players who weren’t being included by McLeish. I’m guessing he’s talking about Ritchie and Phillips (although he was never able to get himself fully fit, it would seem, last season, so that might be unfair), both of whom I’d have in there if fit. Varying degrees of success implies that somebody who made himself unavailable is now available. Cairney maybe.

Angus Gunn’s comments are likely to lose him any benefit of doubt from certain quarters, but I’d be on the blower to him every week if I were Clarke.

16 minutes ago, Savage Henry said:

Angus Gunn’s comments are likely to lose him any benefit of doubt from certain quarters, but I’d be on the blower to him every week if I were Clarke.

It's an awkward one.  Part of me is in the GTF camp with him.  Basically saying "I think I could do better, but if not...aye, alright" should be an automatic black mark and we move on.  But at the same time we're not good enough to just sack off players like that, particularly in a position we're weak in.

1 hour ago, velo army said:

He was solid enough against the Dutch at Pittodrie, but does he have the pace?

He's not that quick but better technically than SOD. Could be important to have as many players who can retain possession especially against the Belgians.

Edited by TavTastic

My initial reaction was that it’s a strong squad. But then I looked at the centre back options. Midfield to front that’s a pretty decent squad as far as I can make out. Snodgrass being back is good to see; I wonder how long it lasts.