Scotland Squad announce before September game

Just now, ilostmyself said:

3 centre halves in the squad seems a bit mental. I'm assuming McKenna and Souttar are injured?  I'd have called up one of Halkett/Findlay/Kerr just to make up the numbers.

McKenna, Souttar and Findlay are all injured. Kerr could've been a decent option though 

3 centre halves in the squad seems a bit mental. I'm assuming McKenna and Souttar are injured?  I'd have called up one of Halkett/Findlay/Kerr just to make up the numbers.

I’m assuming somebody has been left off the meme in a standard piece of SFA media incompetence. Three centre backs for two games is a complete nonsense.

Seems a bit strange to only name 3 centre backs, if one of them were to be injured this weekend we could be in real danger. Fine with the rest of the squad, Gunn can GTF. 

Some great quality we have in midfield. 

Not sure if Cairney is injured?

Good to see Cooper in the squad, he's come on leaps and bounds under Bielsa. Would much rather see the Leeds captain and the Norwich captain as our centre backs than a Sheffield Wednesday reserve, a farmer or the second best CB at Hearts.

That midfield alone should give Russia the fear. Back 4 look poor, and show that we really need Tierney back. I'm assuming McBurnie will start? Don't see why not. No better options there. Lennon obviously torpedoed Griffiths' call up.

5 minutes ago, QwaarJet said:

That midfield alone should give Russia the fear. Back 4 look poor, and show that we really need Tierney back. I'm assuming McBurnie will start? Don't see why not. No better options there. Lennon obviously torpedoed Griffiths' call up.

I would probably go for Naismith as he has a good ability of holding the ball up, bringing the midfielders venturing forward/wingers into play and running the channels. He had a good game against Albania in the Nations league doing all them. For Russia anyway I imagine he'll go something like:

Marshall
O'Donnell Hanley Cooper Robertson
McTominay McGinn McGregor
Forrest Naismith/McBurnie Fraser

I would actually like to see Ryan Christie start in the role he did against Israel at Hampden but wouldn't be sure who to drop in the above midfield.

Edited by C. Muir

So here it is, and I was right, recall for Hanley and I actually changed my post yesterday after I put Snodgrass but wondered if he was injured with not playing for West Ham.

Certainly a few left field call ups as well, although no Fredricks, Liam Cooper finally gets a chance to seal his Scottish allegiance. Delighted to see his name in the squad, he stood out every time I watched Leeds on Sky last season and I can’t believe he was overlooked by McLeish. MacGillivray won’t be known to many, making his way through the English non-leagues before becoming a regular at Portsmouth, and being uncapped at any level.

As always, the biggest talking points will probably be the omissions, no John Soutter or David Bates, despite being in the last few squads, no Oli Burke or Emmon Brophy, who were both starters in Clarke’s first double header, Greame Shinnie also missed out, as does John Fleck, a player that Clarke is on record as saying that he tried to call up last time but was having his stag doo in New York. Despite that, the biggest must be Leigh’s Griffiths. I think everyone imagined he would be an automatic inclusion now that he was back playing for Celtic and scoring a few goals in the bargain.

Certainly going to be an interesting double header, in more ways than one.

58B09B0B-63F8-4678-83F5-9163D1D214FD.jpeg

3 minutes ago, charger29 said:
7 minutes ago, Estragon said:
They'll be breathing a sigh of relief in Gibraltar.

Fletcher has his moments. I'd rather have him over Naismith in this squad.

Ach I know, I'm probably being a bit flippant.  His goalscoring for me always really let him down, although maybe with this new breed of attacking midfielders we're packing out the squad with, he might have been more effective.

As you said initially though, his intentions I'd say have been made pretty clear.

Hadn't noticed there were only 3 CB's so a bit surprising Liam Lindsay still isn't involved.

Cooper sounds good on paper and I haven't seen a ton of him even on TV but it doesn't fill me with confidence that any time I see him mentioned on twitter it's when he makes a mistake and Leeds fans are saying things like he's a bombscare and the reason Leeds don't get promoted etc.

15 minutes ago, charger29 said:

Looks like Fletcher is done with the NT then

That's a shame, in my opinion.  He got a lot of undue criticism (along with some very much "due" criticism) in his time with us, but when he got that wonderful goal against Poland you could see how much it meant to him.  He gets filed under the large and still growing list of players that played well within themselves for us.

1 minute ago, forameus said:

That's a shame, in my opinion.  He got a lot of undue criticism (along with some very much "due" criticism) in his time with us, but when he got that wonderful goal against Poland you could see how much it meant to him.  He gets filed under the large and still growing list of players that played well within themselves for us.

He was always a good option for us. I hope he's not done with the national side.