Billy Gilmour

Kuro

1 minute ago, Carnoustie Young Guvnor said:

They are a decent junior side.  Do you think its hard for a professional football club to produce players of that level?

Yes.

Take, for instance, the guys I played with/against at youth level. Greenock and District Youth League had 12 teams at one point. That's about 180 young players. This doesn't include guys, in the same area, who played with Paisley and District teams or as part of a pro club's youth teams. Every one of us thought we would one day be pro (or dreamt of it) and we all went to training once or twice a week and played on a Sunday for our team. Some of us also played/trained for our school and others played/trained for their scouts, or BB or local programmes for seven-a-side leagues and all sorts. Combined the total output of Greenock and District Youth League would dwarf anything that Brechin could put out. Of the players from that crop one ended up playing a coupla dozen senior games. Him and one other guy played junior football for a while. One other lad got half a season at Port Glasgow Juniors. This from a town, what, four times the size of Brechin?

It's not easy to just magically produce professional footballers.

This was with us all paying for the privilege and constant fundraising to keep the teams kitted out, travel to games, balls and cones and all that jazz and entirely coached by volunteers. How will Brechin afford that? And for what benefit? One player, a season, who might be good enough to play junior football?

1 hour ago, AsimButtHitsASix said:

Yes.

Take, for instance, the guys I played with/against at youth level. Greenock and District Youth League had 12 teams at one point. That's about 180 young players. This doesn't include guys, in the same area, who played with Paisley and District teams or as part of a pro club's youth teams. Every one of us thought we would one day be pro (or dreamt of it) and we all went to training once or twice a week and played on a Sunday for our team. Some of us also played/trained for our school and others played/trained for their scouts, or BB or local programmes for seven-a-side leagues and all sorts. Combined the total output of Greenock and District Youth League would dwarf anything that Brechin could put out. Of the players from that crop one ended up playing a coupla dozen senior games. Him and one other guy played junior football for a while. One other lad got half a season at Port Glasgow Juniors. This from a town, what, four times the size of Brechin?

It's not easy to just magically produce professional footballers.

This was with us all paying for the privilege and constant fundraising to keep the teams kitted out, travel to games, balls and cones and all that jazz and entirely coached by volunteers. How will Brechin afford that? And for what benefit? One player, a season, who might be good enough to play junior football?

Brechin draw players from the following places -

Carnoustie, Monifieth, DUNDEE, Arbroath, Forfar. Monstrose, Kirriemuir, Stonehaven, ABERDEEN, Blairgowrie and several others. Its a much bigger catchment area, they don't all come from Brechin lol.

They fund it the same way everyone else does sponsorship and gate receipts.  Its bizarre to be sitting here arguing about how its impossible for them to be doing something they've been doing for 25 years.

3 hours ago, Carnoustie Young Guvnor said:

When I was there Brechin had two youth squads and the reserves. They had the Dundee lot who trained at Gussie Park twice a week and the Angus/Aberdeen lot who trained at Glebe twice a week.  They had players from as far as Dyce and Perth.

How many players, in the last 20 years, have Brechin brought through their youth team and made money from?

23 hours ago, Carnoustie Young Guvnor said:

Brechin draw players from the following places -

Carnoustie, Monifieth, DUNDEE, Arbroath, Forfar. Monstrose, Kirriemuir, Stonehaven, ABERDEEN, Blairgowrie and several others. Its a much bigger catchment area, they don't all come from Brechin lol.

They fund it the same way everyone else does sponsorship and gate receipts.  Its bizarre to be sitting here arguing about how its impossible for them to be doing something they've been doing for 25 years.

And how's that gone in the past 25 years? Many youth players come through? 

1 hour ago, The Moonster said:

Pep won't be back in this thread lads, not until the subject matter moves on anyway, it's his MO. Say something stupid, don't back it up with any evidence and flee the thread once it's been displayed you're a moron.

Well I was actually talking about Falkirk in relation to that mostly, and they have produced several internationals so the proof is there.  As for Brechin who knows, in the last 25 years probably at least fifty have played for the first team who have come through.  I know a few myself.  I didn't see this post.  I know a few at Arbroath too.

As much as pep is an absolute tube.

I'm not sure how people can be saying he's wrong on this one.

With Brechins large catchment area and the fairly poor standard of league the first team play in. It's clearly viable for them to have a youth system to get players through to first team level.

And have a good chance of doing so.

Those players don't have to be sold on for large fees. They just have to be good enough to play for Brechin.

3 hours ago, BingMcCrosby said:

With Brechins large catchment area and the fairly poor standard of league the first team play in. It's clearly viable for them to have a youth system to get players through to first team level.

Those players don't have to be sold on for large fees. They just have to be good enough to play for Brechin.

There's loads of players who play a handful of games and move onto the juniors or Arbroath, Forfar, Montrose, Dundee if they're good.  I could be exaggerating with fifty but it happens all the time and their youth system isn't even good. If it was they could have a much more productive set-up.

Every now and then if they could sell one for fifty or a hundred grand it would pay for itself, its not like they have La Masia up there its some cones and bibs and not much else.

1 hour ago, eez-eh said:

Back on topic... he might be getting some more minutes soon. Kante looks like being out for at least a month and a couple of Chelsea’s other midfielders aren’t far away from a suspension.

What Gilmour should be doing is halfing Jorginho and Kovacic in training every chance he gets.  Scythe the f**k out the pair of them he could be starting every week.

12 hours ago, BingMcCrosby said:

The problem is the market they sell on to.  As they will be part time it will most likely be lower end professional who generally don't pay fees. They also might not pay enough wages to convince the player to jack their other job in.

Im not saying its a terrible idea just not worth the effort and financial risk and outlay when they can pick up decent enough players who are on the fringes of professional football, clearly its working well for them now so why change it.

20 hours ago, BingMcCrosby said:

We're asserting he's wrong because he said it's a dawdle. If they "just have to be good enough to play for Brechin" who are bottom of League 2 currently, and it's a "dawdle" to produce players at that level, then I'd expect Brechin to have a team full of youth products. They don't. Hence, it's not that easy to produce players.

7 hours ago, The Moonster said:

We're asserting he's wrong because he said it's a dawdle. If they "just have to be good enough to play for Brechin" who are bottom of League 2 currently, and it's a "dawdle" to produce players at that level, then I'd expect Brechin to have a team full of youth products. They don't. Hence, it's not that easy to produce players.

How do you know they stay there?  I know several who made their debut played two games at the end of the season then went elsewhere.  Are you seriously suggesting you think its difficult with a catchment area of a million people for a professional football club to churn out players good enough for a decent junior side?

On 20/02/2020 at 16:03, The Moonster said:

I agree it should be fairly easy for them to produce good enough players.

As I said before just because of their catchment area and level.

Whether they have or not I don't know. If they haven't it might just be there not very good at it. But I don't really give much of a monkeys. 🙉