Billy Gilmour

Kuro

3 minutes ago, WATTOO said:

Gilmour looked bang average in the u21 matches against the Czech Republic and Greece only a couple of months back. We drew one of them 0-0 and lost the other 0-1.

Irrelevant. 

Lets agree the play-offs aren't the ideal place for Gilmour to be called up. When is? Nations League? Euro/World Cup Qualifiers? All pressurised situations which you could say isn't ideal for bleeding in young guys. Just get him involved and see how he does. Ryan Jack or John Fleck are both 28 and have about 5 caps between them, we're hardly leaving out guys that will be greatly missed.

2 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

Irrelevant. 

Lets agree the play-offs aren't the ideal place for Gilmour to be called up. When is? Nations League? Euro/World Cup Qualifiers? All pressurised situations which you could say isn't ideal for bleeding in young guys. Just get him involved and see how he does. Ryan Jack or John Fleck are both 28 and have about 5 caps between them, we're hardly leaving out guys that will be greatly missed.

So, let me get this clear, It's apparently irrelevant and we should completely ignore it when he has a poor / average game BUT we should go completely overboard and use it as his "true form" if he has a good game ???

Yes, I can see the logic in that.

Listen, nobody wants Gilmour or indeed Scotland to do well more than me, however I just don't think he's done enough (so far) to prove he merits a place, this would all change if he gets a run in the Chelsea team and backs up his performance but if he doesn't then I just couldn't honestly justify having him ahead of John Fleck or anyone else previously mentioned in the pecking order.

Irrelevant. 
How many caps people have in the past is completely irrelevant, since players develop differently. Clarke's job is to pick the best midfielders, and Jack and Fleck are amongst those.

I'd argue on the basis of last night, Gilmour could easily be amongst those too - he's always had the ability, but he also seems to be able to stamp his authority on the midfield a bit more too now. I'd certainly be happier seeing him involved than Kenny McLean (who I have nothing in particular against, he's a decent player).

1 minute ago, craigkillie said:

How many caps people have in the past is completely irrelevant, since players develop differently. Clarke's job is to pick the best midfielders, and Jack and Fleck are amongst those.

I'd argue on the basis of last night, Gilmour could easily be amongst those too - he's always had the ability, but he also seems to be able to stamp his authority on the midfield a bit more too now. I'd certainly be happier seeing him involved than Kenny McLean (who I have nothing in particular against, he's a decent player).

Leaving one of them out to accommodate one of the brightest young players we have isn't a huge issue though, highlighted by the fact that for almost all of their playing careers they've sat out of national squads. They won't be missed. Leave out MacLean if that's preferable, it doesn't really matter which of the peripheral midfielders sit out, just get Gilmour involved because it's clear he will be in the future.

16 minutes ago, WATTOO said:

So, let me get this clear, It's apparently irrelevant and we should completely ignore it when he has a poor / average game BUT we should go completely overboard and use it as his "true form" if he has a good game ???

Yes, I can see the logic in that.

Listen, nobody wants Gilmour or indeed Scotland to do well more than me, however I just don't think he's done enough (so far) to prove he merits a place, this would all change if he gets a run in the Chelsea team and backs up his performance but if he doesn't then I just couldn't honestly justify having him ahead of John Fleck or anyone else previously mentioned in the pecking order.

U21 football is irrelevant, yes. Gilmour has been great for Chelsea when called upon and just ran the show against a team much better than Israel will be. There is absolutely no harm, in fact, only good can come of introducing him to the squad.

I hope he refuses to play as all he needs to do is wait 18months and he can play for England.....hopefully they have his ear down south to hold off
The only way he can ever be eligible for England is if Scotland gains independence and there becomes a separate citizenship process.

I'm sure you'll be all for that Kenny.

16 hours ago, The Moonster said:

U21 football is irrelevant, yes. Gilmour has been great for Chelsea when called upon and just ran the show against a team much better than Israel will be. There is absolutely no harm, in fact, only good can come of introducing him to the squad.

He was also playing alongside much better players than he will be when he's playing for us.  You only need to look to our captain to see how that can affect you when playing for Scotland. You also can't just say that the football he actually has played for Scotland is irrelevant just because it doesn't fit your argument.

Unless something mental happens between now and the squad being announced, he should be in it, but let's calm the jets on him so he doesn't become the next in a long line of "saviours" that get too much pressure piled on them too early.  By all means give him his debut when we're 8-0 up against Israel, and hopefully he gets a steady spell for Chelsea in the coming months, we make it to Euro 2020, and he scores the winning goal in the final or something.  

Edited by forameus

1 hour ago, forameus said:

He was also playing alongside much better players than he will be when he's playing for us.  You only need to look to our captain to see how that can affect you when playing for Scotland. You also can't just say that the football he actually has played for Scotland is irrelevant just because it doesn't fit your argument.

Unless something mental happens between now and the squad being announced, he should be in it, but let's calm the jets on him so he doesn't become the next in a long line of "saviours" that get too much pressure piled on them too early.  By all means give him his debut when we're 8-0 up against Israel, and hopefully he gets a steady spell for Chelsea in the coming months, we make it to Euro 2020, and he scores the winning goal in the final or something.  

I'm not sure what your point is with that first paragraph, we should be wary of calling up good players because we make them shite?

The U21s is a bawhair away from being all but pointless, I don't think I've ever judged a player on their performances for that side and I don't think I ever will. It's not representative of actual football, it's glorified kids football. 

I haven't once put any pressure on him, I haven't said he should start nor that he'll be our saviour. We missed a great chance to give him some game time in October though, and we might have had a better idea of how he fits in going into these matches. You argued then he was better off staying with the U21s to help them qualify, which they look like they won't, and we're now considering using him to help the actual team qualify, which you said he likely wouldn't be in a position to do come March. 

The good thing is that with suspensions/injuries, it looks like Gilmour should get a run of a few matches now (unless Lampard has other ideas). I’d certainly have him in the squad and maybe get him on as a sub at some point at least, I think that would be fine for now.

Edited by Jambomo

11 hours ago, Merkland Red said:

What if he plays against Everton and is hopeless?

Robertson didnt play well against Watford. Should we drop him?

If Gilmour is better than what we currently have, and compared to the likes of Jack, Shinnie, McLean I'd be willing to bet he is, then he should be in the squad at least (FWIW I quite like all 3 players I've mentioned, McLean and Shinnie in particular, I just think Gilmour is a better footballer). 

I personally am of the opinion that despite his form for Celtic, McGregor's assurance of a start should be seriously under threat for poor international form. Gilmour might just be the man to replace him.