Billy Gilmour

Kuro

6 hours ago, craigkillie said:

English clubs didn't live stream their games last season, I doubt they're going to be able to do so now if they're back to full houses either.

Championship level (and I assume below) certainly did. Didn’t realise that EPL clubs didn’t, assume that was to do with TV deals?

1 hour ago, AMMjag said:

Xavi had played about ten senior games by the time he was the same age as Gilmour is now. People seem to think Football Manager = real life and you're a busted flush if you're not pushing 100 appearances by 21.

We only need him to be better than Kenny McLean and Callum McGregor to improve our first team, and he already is. He will improve with a full season playing for a weaker team in a strong league, and then he will be at Chelsea or a level not too far off that the following season. If we're hoping for him to be a world class option or close, he's well on the right track.

He might be better but he'll need to prove it over the course of a season. He's never had a proper crack at it.

6 hours ago, Theroadlesstravelled said:

Norwich are pish and will go straight back down.

Some on here would have you think he’s Xavi. If he was that good he’d have a pick of clubs. 

Wolves, Southampton, Newcastle and Rangers were all options, plus some other unnamed clubs abroad. Chelsea preferred Norwich because of the way Farke plays and Tuchel thinks Gilmour needs to get better off the ball.

Lifted from The Athletic, who are pretty reliable.

6 hours ago, Lex said:

Not sure where you’re getting this from. Xavi made his Barca debut as an 18 year old and had over 50 games for them by the time he was 20.
It’s not necessarily a bad thing that Gilmour has so little game time, could help him later in his career with conditioning. Now is the time for him to become a first team regular though.

And at this point, Harry Kane had 50 senior appearances in League One and The Championship.  Gilmour has shown himself to be more than comfortable in the Champions League, and against the likes of Man City and Liverpool.

Different players adapt and learn differently.  Playing 100 games for St Mirren by the age of 21 will be a substantially worse football education, than the one Gilmour will likely have by the same age.

Moving to a Norwich that are a well managed club, with an impressive manager, and keen to play football in the right way, seems like a sensible move.  Sure, I’d liked to have seen him abroad competing, but if he’s going to play regularly for Norwich then that works for me.  His dream has always been to play in the Premier League, so right now he’s chasing it.

If Chelsea opportunities are limited next year, then maybe he’ll need to do what an increasing number of English youngsters are doing, and jump ship to Germany.  Let’s worry about that then.  We’ll have plenty of time to enjoy (or otherwise) his performances in the League come August, and in the dark blue come September.

15 hours ago, AMMjag said:

We only need him to be better than Kenny McLean and Callum McGregor to improve our first team, and he already is. He will improve with a full season playing for a weaker team in a strong league, and then he will be at Chelsea or a level not too far off that the following season. If we're hoping for him to be a world class option or close, he's well on the right track.

Steady on, some balance please. Peoples hopes/expectations are going through the roof with this guy. He's doing well for his age, but only time will tell how good he is. Just wait till he plays 'below his standard' in a game we lose and he'll be getting absolute pelters. 

Edited by 2426255

48 minutes ago, 2426255 said:

Steady on, some balance please. Peoples hopes/expectations are going through the roof with this guy. He's doing well for his age, but only time will tell how good he is. Just wait till he plays 'below his standard' in a game we lose and he'll be getting absolute pelters. 

Right.  Folk claiming he should be a regular in the Chelsea team need to take a rain check for a while.  At some point he will get the Darren Fletcher/Barry Ferguson/Andy Robertson treatment from the same Scotland supporters. Fletcher still gets it.

4 hours ago, 2426255 said:

Steady on, some balance please. Peoples hopes/expectations are going through the roof with this guy. He's doing well for his age, but only time will tell how good he is. 

Yip, some people going nuts over him, when the reality is that nobody has seen that much of him.

This is a genuine question by the way:  why are expectations of him quite so sky high?

He looked great in that Cup game against Liverpool last year and he provided just the sort of performance we needed against England a fortnight ago.

What else have people seen though, that has sparked talk of him running the midfield of Real Madrid or Barcelona within a few years?  

Is it that we're just so desperate for players at that level?  Is it that he plays a sophisticated brand of football we're not often associated with?

I really hope he does fulfil the potential some have apparently spotted.  I'm still not entirely sure what such belief is based on though.

At some point he will get the Darren Fletcher/Barry Ferguson/Andy Robertson treatment from the same Scotland supporters. Fletcher still gets it.

Deservedly so - he was anonymous during the Euros. Like playing with a man down. Tsk!

Yip, some people going nuts over him, when the reality is that nobody has seen that much of him.
This is a genuine question by the way:  why are expectations of him quite so sky high?
He looked great in that Cup game against Liverpool last year and he provided just the sort of performance we needed against England a fortnight ago.
What else have people seen though, that has sparked talk of him running the midfield of Real Madrid or Barcelona within a few years?  
Is it that we're just so desperate for players at that level?  Is it that he plays a sophisticated brand of football we're not often associated with?
I really hope he does fulfil the potential some have apparently spotted.  I'm still not entirely sure what such belief is based on though.
Because you're a boring contrarion.

25 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

I don’t think his “apparent” potential is particularly difficult to spot. 

Running the show against top end teams is something which is incredibly difficult to do, never mind for a nineteen year old. 

11 minutes ago, No_Problemo said:

I don’t think his “apparent” potential is particularly difficult to spot. 

Running the show against top end teams is something which is incredibly difficult to do, never mind for a nineteen year old. 

"Running the show" is overstating it though.

Against England, he didn't do that.  He delivered a really mature, measured performance that helped enable us to get a foothold in the game.

Players who "run the show" are able to dominate proceedings and offer dynamic, matchwinning moments.  I've not yet seen that from Gilmour.

I'm not saying he can't do that, but we've yet to have it confirmed.

He is a valid source for some excitement, but "running the show" is OTT.  It's the sort of sentiment I'm seeing more of, than the evidence for it.

24 minutes ago, accies1874 said:
44 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

Because you're a boring contrarion.

Ah, you don't really know either.

You should have just said.

4 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

"Running the show" is overstating it though.

Against England, he didn't do that.  He delivered a really mature, measured performance that helped enable us to get a foothold in the game.

Players who "run the show" are able to dominate proceedings and offer dynamic, matchwinning moments.  I've not yet seen that from Gilmour.

I'm not saying he can't do that, but we've yet to have it confirmed.

He is a valid source for some excitement, but "running the show" is OTT.  It's the sort of sentiment I'm seeing more of, than the evidence for it.

Match winning moments  isn’t how I would define running the show - that’s a completely different skill set. 

Taking the ball in every situation and moving it on constantly, then taking it back and basically dictating the pace of the game is how I would define running the show. He has done that on most of his professional appearances. 

Match winning moments  isn’t how I would define running the show - that’s a completely different skill set. 

Taking the ball in every situation and moving it on constantly, then taking it back and basically dictating the pace of the game is how I would define running the show. He has done that on most of his professional appearances. 
No one can run the show in a draw, apparently [emoji849]

4 minutes ago, No_Problemo said:

He was brave on the ball and he used it sensibly.

He didn't dictate anything though.

Had an English player offered a similarly tidy performance, it would have gone largely unnoticed.

I'm really not wanting to pretend he wasn't very good, because he was.  He should certainly start in Scotland's Autumn games.

Some are genuinely seeing him as a world beater though and on that, the jury surely remains out for a while yet.

He has the potential to be a world beater though.

His touch and short passing are wonderful to watch, he's ridiculously composed in high-pressure situations, is happy to receive and progress the ball at all times, he constantly scans so is a step ahead with his passing and movement.

This has all been on show before the age of 21. Apparently he's a top class trainer too with a great attitude and was signed and developed by one of the best academies in the world.

2 hours ago, Monkey Tennis said:

He was brave on the ball and he used it sensibly.

He didn't dictate anything though.

Had an English player offered a similarly tidy performance, it would have gone largely unnoticed.

I'm really not wanting to pretend he wasn't very good, because he was.  He should certainly start in Scotland's Autumn games.

Some are genuinely seeing him as a world beater though and on that, the jury surely remains out for a while yet.

There’s compensating for over exuberance and there’s whatever that is. The English just got entirely over-excited by Phillips, who has been tidy but nothing like the best players of the tournament. 

When was the last time Scotland produced a teenager that waltzed through games against Liverpool, Man City, and Champions League matches? 

Despite his relative inexperience, he has shown performances at a very high level that outwith a very few select players, we haven’t seen since the early 90s. He’s by a distance the most talented 20-year old we’ve had in living memory.

Whether or not he becomes the first name in the team sheet of a Champions League team is neither here nor there. Even in those <30 games he’s shown far more ability than the vast majority of players we’ve capped in 25 years.

Edited by HuttonDressedAsLahm

2 hours ago, Monkey Tennis said:

With top players its obvious very quickly, you don't have to have seen much at all of gilmour to see he has the brain and technique to get to the very very top.

Its not like you have to watch a full season to see that.

Have you never watched a player and instantly went, yeah this guys one of the best? Like first time you watched messi? Or Ronaldo? Did you think ill need to watch a couple of seasons to see if their any good.

Obviously I'm not calling gilmour a messi or a Ronaldo. He's a very different player. But his talent is obvious. Only thing that will stop him is injury really.

Edited by BingMcCrosby

58 minutes ago, BingMcCrosby said:

With top players its obvious very quickly, you don't have to have seen much at all of gilmour to see he has the brain and technique to get to the very very top.

Its not like you have to watch a full season to see that.

Have you never watched a player and instantly went, yeah this guys one of the best? Like first time you watched messi? Or Ronaldo? Did you think ill need to watch a couple of seasons to see if their any good.

Obviously I'm not calling gilmour a messi or a Ronaldo. He's a very different player. But his talent is obvious. Only thing that will stop him is injury really.

In common with many, I saw Ronaldo as a bit of a show pony in the early part of his Man United career.  I was clearly wrong.

I do get that Gilmour displays qualities that set him apart a bit.  I think the certainty some on here show with regard to his future, though, displays at least as much hope as judgement.

He really has not played a lot of football at all in front of any of us.