Billy Gilmour

Kuro

3 hours ago, 2426255 said:

He is an exceptional talent in a Scottish context. I'm reluctant to extend that to an exceptional talent in the global context or even a UK context. If he gets better with age then so much the better and he has as you say already had an excellent start to his career.

Players like Gilmour don't come along every day for Scotland, so I understand why fans were excited and where the hype came from - but it went too far for me and contributed to the abuse he received while on loan at Norwich City whose supporters had unfair expectations of him because of that media and fan hype. 

Chelsea fans were just as hyped as Scotland fans, and their Academy is one of the most prolific in world football so I don't think this is true at all

15 hours ago, craigkillie said:

Personally don't really think he was overhyped at all

He absolutely has been.

He is a good player, and is a very important one for Scotland.  I actually thought he had a decent enough Euros which can't be said of many Scots.

However, the hope was that he'd have got further by now, that he'd have broken into that Chelsea team and become a major player for them.

I know that this isn't necessarily the best benchmark, but you genuinely got people on here claiming he was already World Class and would soon be running the midfield of a side like Real Madrid or Barcelona.  

Currently, he's absolutely nowhere near that level.

As with Gauld, it's not the player's fault that people went nuts about him early on.  However, let's not pretend it didn't happen. 

10 hours ago, 2426255 said:

He is an exceptional talent in a Scottish context. I'm reluctant to extend that to an exceptional talent in the global context or even a UK context. If he gets better with age then so much the better and he has as you say already had an excellent start to his career.

Players like Gilmour don't come along every day for Scotland, so I understand why fans were excited and where the hype came from - but it went too far for me and contributed to the abuse he received while on loan at Norwich City whose supporters had unfair expectations of him because of that media and fan hype. 

The abuse he got at Norwich was simply because they are a bunch of utter c***s.

I don’t care what expectations you do or don’t have or how disappointing a player is, you don’t sing songs that are so abusive his own family can’t go to games, especially not when they are basically a kid trying to come through.

There are genuinely not many clubs where they’d consider that an ok thing to do, just because a kid isn’t as good as you’d hoped. It’s not like it’s a “football thing”.

37 minutes ago, Jambomo said:

The abuse he got at Norwich was simply because they are a bunch of utter c***s.

I don’t care what expectations you do or don’t have or how disappointing a player is, you don’t sing songs that are so abusive his own family can’t go to games, especially not when they are basically a kid trying to come through.

There are genuinely not many clubs where they’d consider that an ok thing to do, just because a kid isn’t as good as you’d hoped. It’s not like it’s a “football thing”.

What songs were sung about him? I only know he took some stick.

I think you can forgive the hype when you consider how long it’s been since someone Scottish arrived on the scene at a club like Chelsea. You’d have to be pretty miserable not to get a bit caught up in that.

There’s also a feasible alternative reality where he makes a proper breakthrough at Chelsea:

• Covid hit as soon as he started playing in the first team.
  • As soon as he was playing again after Covid he gets a bad injury.
  • Then as soon as he was coming back from that, the manager that liked him got sacked for one that didn’t so much.
  • He goes on loan to a shite Norwich team, meanwhile Chelsea end up having an injury crisis in midfield that would have most likely seen him playing if he stayed.
  • He then goes to Brighton and the manager fucks off to Chelsea after 2 minutes.

He had a bit of shite luck after the initial hype.

Edited by eez-eh

1 hour ago, velo army said:

What songs were sung about him? I only know he took some stick.

They used to sing songs and make fun of his massive willy. I used to get the same at school, really gets you down.

1 hour ago, Ranana Ban said:

They used to sing songs and make fun of his massive willy. I used to get the same at school, really gets you down.

Then you woke up and had your Frosties.

On 23/07/2024 at 20:15, eez-eh said:

I think you can forgive the hype when you consider how long it’s been since someone Scottish arrived on the scene at a club like Chelsea. You’d have to be pretty miserable not to get a bit caught up in that.

There’s also a feasible alternative reality where he makes a proper breakthrough at Chelsea:

• Covid hit as soon as he started playing in the first team.
  • As soon as he was playing again after Covid he gets a bad injury.
  • Then as soon as he was coming back from that, the manager that liked him got sacked for one that didn’t so much.
  • He goes on loan to a shite Norwich team, meanwhile Chelsea end up having an injury crisis in midfield that would have most likely seen him playing if he stayed.
  • He then goes to Brighton and the manager fucks off to Chelsea after 2 minutes.

He had a bit of shite luck after the initial hype.

Let's not forget he also has some absolute nut job stalking him. That could potentially have had a massive impact on the lad..

A fan made video. This is NOT confirmation that he's signed for Napoli.

£12m would be an absolute steal for someone of Gilmour's skillset.

What Billy brings to the table is press resistance, a metronome and an ability to pass to the same coloured shirt.

Those abilities are very undervalued with (UK) fans.

You even get pundits down in England saying that there's "More to Declan Rice's game than being a number 6".

No, there isn't. Declan Rice is a £100m gap plugger. Nothing more.

Non-flashy players are always denigrated.

You don't get Spain saying that there's more to Busquets's game or de Jong with the Netherlands.

Same with Gilmour. He's never going to be a player who gets 10 goals and assists a season.

We're lucky to have Gilmour for what he does give us.

Edited by Chripper

Someone earlier in the thread used the term 'metronome', and I think that sums him up. A player that actively goes looking for the ball, is comfortable in possession and doesn't give the ball away is a rare thing in Scottish football.

I took my son down to Brighton earlier this year for a game against Crystal Palace. Gilmour stood out like a sore thumb. Palace couldn't get out, and every time they tried, the ball ended up with Gilmour and was moved quickly to get them scrambling again.

A great player and the natural successor to McGregor for Scotland, who I think is one of the best players in our league at the moment.

4 hours ago, Chripper said:

No Gilmour on the bench against Tokyo Verdy.

Apparently, Jenson Weir is more bench ready.

Bodes well...

Wonder if he’s (Weir) Scottish again. 22 and not a regular at any level, he certainly isn’t going to play for England.

Probably because he’s likely to be away. 

Brighton have hardly played any of their first team players, mainly their kids. I’m not sure anyone could take anything out of a player not playing on that tour. 

10 minutes ago, Jambomo said:

Probably because he’s likely to be away. 

Brighton have hardly played any of their first team players, mainly their kids. I’m not sure anyone could take anything out of a player not playing on that tour. 

Such a weird unexpected deal this, going to such a big club and the price so low. Everything about it is bizarre.

Who cares if he can get In their team and does well it could be brilliant.