Billy Gilmour

Kuro

4 hours ago, Bairnardo said:

Off after 51 minutes, thought he had a pretty decent first half against the best team in the League. 

He played well.

Wouldn't look too far into being subbed off, Ferguson scored twice in the last game and started on the bench. De Zerbi likes to rotate his players.

Many of my posts earlier on this thread was about how Brighton liked to gradually bed their players in and it looks..... absolutely correct. And not just in the case of Gilmour but also Mitoma, Ferguson, Enciso, Van Hecke, Buonanotte and Undav - none of whom started the season are regulars but are playing far more now. 

Those who argued it wasn't the case? Well, they're looking a bit silly now.

When he signed I predicted 10-15 appearances this season, he's sitting on 14 but looks pretty nailed on for minutes in the last game of the season. Been a great end to the season for him.

As for the stalker? Yeah that's sad particularly when happening to someone as young as Gilmour - he's still just a kid with enough pressure on him as it is.

Gilmour and Undav didn't play earlier in the season because De Zerbi didn't think they were as good as the automatic starters.
He said as much after the Wolves game - 

"After the game I must admit possibly in the past I have made some mistakes with him and Undav, because I did not give them possibility to play. But for me it is difficult to decide to play without Mac Allister, Solly March, Mitoma and Moises Caicedo it is difficult."

Mitoma and Estupinan have played 30+ games this season. They haven't been bedded in.

Take the loss dude.

Estpuinan isn't mentioned in my post, Mitoma didn't start a game until gw14 and then never really left the first team. His first 90 mins was gw15.

So that plus the fact you made a massive omission in your quotes means the "take the loss" is delicious irony.

Try not to make such an error strewn post if you're going to say that next time.

Every player I mentioned was bedded in. Everyone who said Brighton don't do this will be looking very red in the face now!

Yeah I thought he did pretty well. In the first half, Man City did seem to get regular numerical advantages in the middle which allowed them to pass round Brighton's press a few times, but I wouldn't necessarily blame him for that even if it sometimes looked like he was chasing shadows. 

It's funny that one good performance has swung it from not featuring whatsoever to playing in every game, starting most. 

Think De Zerbi will be resigned to losing Macallister at least in the summer so makes sense that Gilmour been getting more game time. Bed him in for a full season next campaign. WIth Brighton in europe they will need a bigger squad so expect him to get more games.

I spoke to him briefly in the last camp and told him just to knuckle down and get on with it. You can’t feel sorry for yourself and to be fair to him he has managed to get in the team and his performances have been good, so that’s good for him, good for Brighton and good for us. He’s done well Billy. I think it was obviously a tough situation for him when he got there. He was competing against two world-class players in (Moises) Caicedo and (Alexis) Mac Allister and it took him a long time to work his way into the team but since he has come into the team his performances have been good, which is a positive for Billy and probably a positive for Brighton moving into next season, and certainly a positive for the national team.

I think his performances made a lot of people very excited about what he could bring us. I’ve always spoken about Billy as one for now, but definitely one for the future. As a young player, you are always going to have ups and downs. You’re going to be in the team, you are going to be out of the team. You are going to have a good run of form. You have to learn how to handle it, and I think he has handled this season quite well. He had a disappointing loan at Norwich. He could have easily just crumbled and felt sorry for himself, but he hasn’t done that. He has knuckled down, he’s obviously impressed the manager in training and he’s found his way into the team.

I think Brighton have more or less admitted that they are going to sell at least one of the two players [he’s up against], if not both, which is the way Brighton run their business, and hopefully that will mean more football for Billy next season but he will be challenged by other people that they bring into that club, because they have a good structure and a good scouting system and they always bring in decent players Brighton.

Steve Clarke on Billy Gilmour

https://www.heraldscotland.com/news/23554264.billy-gilmours-perseverance-shows-can-fulfil-huge-potential/

52 minutes ago, 2426255 said:

I think his performances made a lot of people very excited about what he could bring us. I’ve always spoken about Billy as one for now, but definitely one for the future. As a young player, you are always going to have ups and downs. You’re going to be in the team, you are going to be out of the team. You are going to have a good run of form. You have to learn how to handle it, and I think he has handled this season quite well. He had a disappointing loan at Norwich. He could have easily just crumbled and felt sorry for himself, but he hasn’t done that. He has knuckled down, he’s obviously impressed the manager in training and he’s found his way into the team.

Satoshi must condemn, clearly hates Scotland & BG.

Hardly, Gilmour and SC both seem like guys who set incredibly high standards.

They are probably disappointed with anything that isn't excellence.

Objectively though, he played regularly in the top flight for the first time in his career. He can't call it a success as they were easily relegated.

But that's hardly down to him, it was no real surprise he was the only player from that team to secure a move to the Premier League.

Gilmour proving the doubters wrong yet again, but not Steve Clarke who believed in him throughout.

Just correcting another poster who specifically mentioned me.

Weird thing to get upset about.

Pretty much anything would be better than your absolutely nothing contribution above. Why talk about other posters and not football?

Maybe best for you to take a day off, and come back when you actually have some football content to share.

Edited by Satoshi

• 3 weeks later...

Bit of a feel good story this one, would be quite happy to see Gilmour back in the team at some point over the next two games as a sub or starter. I really liked the McTominay, Patterson, Gilmour & McGinn right hand side which was very productive especially towards the end of World Cup qualifying. Not sure we'll see that combination again anytime soon though.

Billy’s in a great place. Fair credit to Steve for bringing him into the last squad because he hadn’t played much football. You could see he was a little bit down, but he’s come in now and it’s like he’s six foot tall. He’s so confident, he wants on the ball, you can see a different person and he’s loving his football because he’s had a good run in the Brighton team towards the end of the season. Does he remind me of the Billy Gilmour we first saw? Absolutely, but that’s because he’s playing for his club.

When you’re not, it’s going to affect a young player. You’ve got to handle these players properly and to be fair to the manager at Brighton he’s been fantastic and he thinks an awful lot of Billy. When you think a lot of someone then they perform. You can see that in Billy’s performances for Brighton. Certainly when he comes with us, he knows the manager loves him - we all do - and he gets a massive lift.

He was trying to catch the gaffer’s eye. That’s what you do, don’t you? Even if the full-back goes down! That’s what you do because you want to get on the pitch. It didn’t happen because of the tactical changes we had to make to make sure we didn’t lose the game. We put Lewis Ferguson on instead for tactical reasons, but now Billy is like a new player. It’s like the old Billy Gilmour we’ve got back. It’s good for him because he’s a great player. And it’s great that someone like the Brighton manager can actually put him in the team and he’s a big part of how they play.

It’s a great test of his character because he’s had a massive slap in the face. He’s had to deal with it. The initial problem he had was when Graham Potter went from Brighton to Chelsea, where he’d come from. He had to deal with that disappointment, then he dealt with not being in the team. It was very, very difficult. Does that not show a little bit of his strength of character that he’s come through that and believed?

We spoke to him in the last camp and said he just had to do what he does best - that’s play football. He loves being on the training ground, you have to drag him off sometimes. He’s so dedicated and desperate to be a top player. It’s good for us. Hopefully, he’ll get an opportunity at some stage for sure.

John Carver

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/billy-gilmour-journey-scotland-star-30225391

I think what’s best about that article is to see that De Zerbi seems to rate him. Since he didn’t play much this season, I felt like there was a question mark about that but the game-time he got as well as the comments here suggest he is well rated by him. 

It shows that people should perhaps let seasons play out before determining big things about players careers, especially young guys looking to make their mark on the game. I know most of its trolling but among that there are serious posts suggesting he should drop to levels which are clearly beneath him. Steve Clarke has been steadfast in backing Gilmour to be a top player for Scotland and almost all of his club managers have had praise for him. Of course he needs to make sure he takes his chance in the first team again but he'll be going into these Scotland games and the new season with confidence and I'm fairly hopeful things will only get better from here. 

17 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

It shows that people should perhaps let seasons play out before determining big things about players careers

The conversation has gone both ways mate. People said he should drop levels but other people were also saying he was world class so as usual it was a polarized conversation. Over praised, Over criticised - I think what it shows there's no shortage of nuggets desperate to jump the gun and reach a premature conclusions. 

Edited by 2426255

Nah, there was one guy saying he was world class. The majority of it was just fans being concerned that he wasn't playing simply because he's more useful for Scotland when he is playing regularly. 

It's great that he got some time at the end of the season and that De Zerbi has belatedly taking a shine to him, but him getting a run of games at the end of the season doesn't invalidate the position that he wasn't playing for Brighton, wasn't playing for Scotland and it looked like he needed to move. 

Football fans are fickle as f**k.

Quite amusing watching England fans suddenly naming Trent Alexander Arnold  the reincarnation of Pirlo and Cafu combined when he spent most of the last two seasons getting pelters.

Careers aren't made in a day or even a season.

1 hour ago, The Moonster said:

It shows that people should perhaps let seasons play out before determining big things about players careers, especially young guys looking to make their mark on the game. I know most of its trolling but among that there are serious posts suggesting he should drop to levels which are clearly beneath him. Steve Clarke has been steadfast in backing Gilmour to be a top player for Scotland and almost all of his club managers have had praise for him. Of course he needs to make sure he takes his chance in the first team again but he'll be going into these Scotland games and the new season with confidence and I'm fairly hopeful things will only get better from here.