Billy Gilmour

Kuro

18 hours ago, Jambomo said:

Brighton have hardly played any of their first team players, mainly their kids. I’m not sure anyone could take anything out of a player not playing on that tour. 

Brighton also announced before the tour that Gilmour wouldn't be playing as he was being given an extended rest after his shortened summer break.

18 hours ago, Ranana Ban said:

Such a weird unexpected deal this, going to such a big club and the price so low. Everything about it is bizarre.

Who cares if he can get In their team and does well it could be brilliant.

It is really weird though. You see promising youngsters with fewer than 20 first team games in the Championship being touted for far more than Napoli are apparently bidding.

2 hours ago, Alan Twelve said:

It is really weird though. You see promising youngsters with fewer than 20 first team games in the Championship being touted for far more than Napoli are apparently bidding.

It seems like a good fit though doesn't it. The two areas that Gilmour is clearly lacking to be an elite EPL player (athleticism and strength) are significantly less important in Italy. Obviously it will be tough to get into their team but Brighton aren't exactly shit in that department either.

8 minutes ago, albagubrath said:

It seems like a good fit though doesn't it. The two areas that Gilmour is clearly lacking to be an elite EPL player (athleticism and strength) are significantly less important in Italy. Obviously it will be tough to get into their team but Brighton aren't exactly shit in that department either.

Gilmour is much more of an Italian or Spanish league player than the EPL which as you point out is more athletic. I think he will improve his tactical awareness tenfold which is already supreme and become an even better passer of the ball playing with more technically gifted ballers 

34 minutes ago, Butters Scotch said:

Gilmour is much more of an Italian or Spanish league player than the EPL which as you point out is more athletic. I think he will improve his tactical awareness tenfold which is already supreme and become an even better passer of the ball playing with more technically gifted ballers 

How can you be supreme at something but then improve it tenfold,seems incredibly unlikely? I do agree his tactical awareness is very good but it seems obvious to me he needs to work on the physical side of his game to get to the next level. It will be bit of a balance for him to do it  however as he both lacks fitness and strength where often one can be a trade off with the other.

8 minutes ago, gannonball said:

How can you be supreme at something but then improve it tenfold,seems incredibly unlikely? I do agree his tactical awareness is very good but it seems obvious to me he needs to work on the physical side of his game to get to the next level. It will be bit of a balance for him to do it  however as he both lacks fitness and strength where often one can be a trade off with the other.

I didn't explain it very well but you get the gist of it.

Physically, he needs to bulk up a bit, get some more power in his legs to take him up another level but I'm unsure if that'll be possible with how his body is but he's still young enough yet to improve in that aspect 

• 2 weeks later...

At a guess, I'd say that it's a fancy way of saying "ball retention/recycling".

It might not be a glamorous part of football, none of the names on that list will get fans off their seats, but every team needs a metronome in midfield.

Edited by Chripper

2 hours ago, MarkoRaj said:

Can't you read?

It says fields gained per poss lost (pass)

Couldn't be clearer 

That sentence is far from clear.  What fields were gained?

Wtf is a "per poss lost (pass)"?

ETA...have I been wooshed?

Edited by Loonytoons

14 hours ago, Loonytoons said:

That sentence is far from clear.  What fields were gained?

Wtf is a "per poss lost (pass)"?

ETA...have I been wooshed?

I'm assuming you add up the total distance of completed forward passes and then divide it by the number of passes where possession was given up. So players that pass the ball forward and don't lose possession often are at the top. Looks like they've divided the distance by the average length of the field.

So for every pass Gilmour makes that loses possession, he passes forward one half of a pith length.

8 hours ago, Gordon EF said:

So for every pass Gilmour makes that loses possession, he passes forward one half of a pith length.

Or, in other words, three groats, or half a toad's wilbersnatch.

(I know you meant pitch)

9 hours ago, Gordon EF said:

I'm assuming you add up the total distance of completed forward passes and then divide it by the number of passes where possession was given up. So players that pass the ball forward and don't lose possession often are at the top. Looks like they've divided the distance by the average length of the field.

So it's basically a metric of calculated risk (ie progressive passes are inherently more risky) and ability to pull it off?

The best part, though, is if someone manages to not lose possession from any of their passes throughout the season..... INFINITE GAINS

Judging from Fabian Hurzeler's comments it's clear that he sees Gilmour as a squad player.

With Gilmour's luck with managers, Within weeks of joining Napoli, Conte will have his usual meltdown and leave.

Leaving Thomas Tuchel to take charge of Napoli.