Do You Support Scottish Sides in Europe?

Kejan

Do you support Scottish teams in Europe?   

365 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Just now, tarapoa said:

But we've never been papped out in the first qualifying round though?

Yeah no question that was a terrible result. Probably the worst Scottish European result of all time but this will be your six consecutive shot and you've never reached the 4th round? OK two extremely hard draws in Sociedad and Burnley but at least one of the other times you should have made the 4th round.

Guest JTS98

I used to think I supported Scottish sides in Europe, but I don't really.

If I'm being honest it simply comes down to the same considerations as anything else to do with football. There are teams I like (Hearts), teams I absolutely despise (Rangers and Celtic), teams I hate (Hibs), teams I mildly dislike (Aberdeen) and loads of teams I couldn't really care less about (everybody else).

I generally want the teams in the 'everybody else' bracket to win. But not all that passionately. But I want the teams I dislike to lose. I don't like Aberdeen. I generally find their fans to be pretty hard work and I rarely want them to win at all. Why would I suddenly want them to win just because they're playing some bunch of foreigners?

The coefficient argument isn't a great one. Our teams are utter shite and the odd coefficient point here or there isn't going to suddenly have Hearts strolling through an easy draw to the Europa League knockouts. The idea of Aberdeen or Hibs receiving the huge financial boost they'd get from participation in the Europa League groups is pretty grim and I see no benefit to Hearts from that.

So, basically, I want teams I don't like to lose. I'd be pleased if Aberdeen lost tonight, but I don't give a monkey's about Killie, so I'd be fine with them winning.

43 minutes ago, TavTastic said:

Yeah no question that was a terrible result. Probably the worst Scottish European result of all time but this will be your six consecutive shot and you've never reached the 4th round? OK two extremely hard draws in Sociedad and Burnley but at least one of the other times you should have made the 4th round.

Fair summary.  We SHOULD have beaten Maribor - bossed them home and away, and some of the refereering decisions in the away game beggared belief.

Maribor seemed to always beat clubs from our leagues, until last summer of course when the phoenix club did what the former club couldn't.

Kairat Almaty was a sore one too, given we took Rijeka's seeding into QR3 from our previous round win.  However, Kairat had some players on $25K a week and had beaten Red Star 5-1 on agg and only went out to Bordeaux on away goals - so as far as non-seeds go, they were an anomaly.

Still, about time we put that right - but for now, the worry is not being undone tonight by a side in mid-season.

I usually do support all teams wishing they'd do well.

That depends however on how much they have annoyed me recently.

Rangers have been annoying since they died and the description of their fans has been bang on since they passed away.

Celtic annoyed me recently so I was hoping Sarajevo mob would win but generally I don't care enough for anyone. I do love a laugh when they all get pumped though!

I like to see Scottish teams doing well against decent opposition but find it hilarious when especially Celtic and Rangers get beaten by tiny part timers. Hibs getting pumped 7-0 of Malmo was enjoyable too. Would have a bit of a chuckle if Killie get beaten by Connah's Quay, the rage when Scottish teams struggle against Welsh ones is funny and a fair few have already booked for the next round I think.

I have been supporting all the Scottish teams(except Sevco) in Europe the last few years. However, seeing how many people on here wanted Celtic to fail the other night really makes me think twice about it. 

I don't really care about any of the teams who are in either of the European competitions each year and we'll probably never be in it regardless of what the coefficient points are to even pay much attention to it.

I like seeing the teams doing well however just as happy seeing part time teams doing the business as this should be an eye opener to the piss poor quality we have.

29 minutes ago, Cerberus said:

Killie fans are insufferable. I'll raise a smile when they get diddied out of Europe by some part-time mega diddies. 

Jealousy dripping off the keyboard :) 

Hope all teams do well and all of them get into the league’s which I know is a long shot as it will mean we have more money than all the rest of the non entities in the league ;) 

satisifying Cerberus ‘s jealousy ! 

My bitterness means that I'd rather see Celtic and Rangers papped out as hilariously as possible than the extra £££ gained from their progression. Coefficient points will likely mean absolutely f**k all to Accies, so I don't really care about that either.
I like seeing non-OF sides win European ties, but it's hard to get excited about it given they have another 40 ties until the group stages.

This year I’d actually prefer rangers to match us in Europe as don’t want them out early then getting a free run at the league if we’re tied up with midweek group games. As for the other 2 I wish them well, I’d much rather sit on a Thursday night watching them living the dream in a group stage than the shite from the epl putting out the reserves in a half empty stadium not giving a fck about it till the latter stages 

6 hours ago, AyrTroopMajor said:

I actively will every Scottish team to win with the exception of Rangers. That includes Celtic. I've never personally met a Celtic fan or for that matter a Killie fan that I actually dislike

I hope that answers the question.

I have a lot of friends who support Kilmarnock. I don't hate Kilmarnock and was actually pleased for them that they had a good season last season. I struggle with the idea that I should actively hate a football club, considering that no football club has ever done anything to me personally to deserve my hatred.

I struggle with the idea that I should actively hate a football club, considering that no football club has ever done anything to me personally to deserve my hatred.

The fact that Arlene Foster’s DUP are propping up the dysfunctional Tories might be worthy of your consideration.

Ergo, hate Sevco.........[emoji41]

Sure. I'd even have been happy for the Binos if they'd staggered to a Scottish Cup final defeat back in the day, and won the right to a July pasting by the fourth-best team in San Marino.

Celtic and Rangers games in Europe are win/win these days - they get knocked out, and it's most amusing. They make it through, and our coefficient goes up. It's not like they have any chance of winning a European tournament now; we've as much chance of winning the Championship.