The official Boris pm cluster-fuck thread

pandarilla

14 hours ago, Dawson Park Boy said:

I appreciate its Westminster’s responsibility about commissioning the oil field but anyone know what the SG view on this is?

As usual they'll attempt a bit of doublespeak because they need to try and keep the jobs supported in the NE but also keep their mates the greens onside.

Not sure I've ever heard them come out with an opinion one way or the other on this particular field.

On 06/08/2021 at 09:15, Suspect Device said:

As usual they'll attempt a bit of doublespeak because they need to try and keep the jobs supported in the NE but also keep their mates the greens onside.

Not sure I've ever heard them come out with an opinion one way or the other on this particular field.

If you’ve not heard the offer an opinion how do you know that they’ll attempt a bit of doublespeak?

23 minutes ago, Suspect Device said:

because they need to try and keep the jobs supported in the NE but also keep their mates the greens onside.

I'd call that grown up nuanced management in a world where there isn't a digital decision to be made.

8 minutes ago, sophia said:

I'd call that grown up nuanced management in a world where there isn't a digital decision to be made.

It's not when they are the polar opposites. You can't support oil jobs and also support the greens' anti oil stance. They could be honest and say that oil and gas is necessary for the foreseeable future until we can transition to a more sustainable energy source. That said, I don't think this particular field is the best idea if it's heavy oil. New gas fields or lighter oil fields would be more economic. 

The companies in Aberdeen are beginning to transition anyway but it's going to be a long road.

Nearly £100,000 spent on Downing St paintings as Boris Johnson planned to benefit cuts

Official documents disclose that huge sums were paid for two paintings in No 10 via the Government Art Collection fund - a pot of money bolstered by taxpayers’ cash

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/politics/number-10-spent-100000-lavish-24715911

On 07/08/2021 at 10:34, Suspect Device said:

It's not when they are the polar opposites. You can't support oil jobs and also support the greens' anti oil stance. They could be honest and say that oil and gas is necessary for the foreseeable future until we can transition to a more sustainable energy source. That said, I don't think this particular field is the best idea if it's heavy oil. New gas fields or lighter oil fields would be more economic. 

The companies in Aberdeen are beginning to transition anyway but it's going to be a long road.

The perfect solution obviously is to keep the oil in the ground just now and then drill the f@ck out of it when we are independent. The rewards go into a Scottish exchequer.👍

The solution is clearly for energy policy, which is reserved to Westminster to be in the hands of the people we elect*. And its a bit optimistic/unrealistic to expect the Scottish Government to solve the transition from fossil fuels to renewables while supporting the energy workforce and industry when transmission costs in the north of Scotland are 15 times (10 times for the South of Scotland) that for the whole of England and Wales.

*Along with everything else. 

When googling transmission charges in UK there is an avalanche of (dis)information on the subject. Very similar to the amount of shite on t'internet just now claiming there are no empty shelves and Brexit is actually going brilliantly, actually.

Nearly £100,000 spent on Downing St paintings as Boris Johnson planned to benefit cuts
Official documents disclose that huge sums were paid for two paintings in No 10 via the Government Art Collection fund - a pot of money bolstered by taxpayers’ cash
Depending on what you get, art can be a pretty good investment and is unlikely to lose much value over the coming years. It's not like they went out and spent £100k on something with no resale value like whores or Monster Munch. Bit of a non-story this.

14 minutes ago, DiegoDiego said:
10 hours ago, Baxter Parp said:

Depending on what you get, art can be a pretty good investment and is unlikely to lose much value over the coming years. It's not like they went out and spent £100k on something with no resale value like whores or Monster Munch. Bit of a non-story this.

Absolutely.

Probably one of the best investments that could be made.

Will also enhance Downing Street for years to come.

I would imagine there are a few decent paintings hanging on the walls of Bute House.

Time for some people to get a life!!

On 05/08/2021 at 13:45, AndyM said:

He's certainly not a conviction politician. Everything he's done is about the betterment of Boris Johnson, nobody else.

Heseltine summed him up when he said "He waits to see which way the crowd is running, dashes in front and shouts "Follow me"".

On a more general note I see Sunak seems to be emerging from the current spat with Johnson as the heir apparent.

1 hour ago, Dawson Park Boy said:

Absolutely.

Probably one of the best investments that could be made.

Will also enhance Downing Street for years to come.

I would imagine there are a few decent paintings hanging on the walls of Bute House.

Time for some people to get a life!!

This, of course, is completely incorrect.

It confuses, much like that gammon chap on Question Time who had to be schooled by Yanis Varoufakis, household spending with government spending.

5 hours ago, btb said:

Heseltine summed him up when he said "He waits to see which way the crowd is running, dashes in front and shouts "Follow me"".

On a more general note I see Sunak seems to be emerging from the current spat with Johnson as the heir apparent.

I find him more frightening, he's a true believer. 

17 hours ago, DiegoDiego said:
On 08/08/2021 at 22:04, Baxter Parp said:

*awaits next weeks inevitable story about Downing Street spending £200,000 on whores and Monster Munch*

On 09/08/2021 at 08:48, DiegoDiego said:
On 08/08/2021 at 22:04, Baxter Parp said:

10 Downing Street is stuffed with art, the government's collection overfloweth in storage, he could borrow any number of artworks from the collections of every museum in Britain (within reason).  It's a horrendous look when you're cutting a pissant £20 from the deserving poor.