Aberdeen v Hearts

• Replies 300
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, NorthernLights said:

Hearts have two tactics this seasons.

1. Keep Naismith fit and ensure all play ends up going though him.
2. Lump it long to Ikpeazu

Apart from those two players they have little else going for them.

Under Levein I agree. I think another manager could get more out of those players.  Walker for instance is a proven goalscorer and creator at this level, if Naismith gets injured he should be able to fill the gap.

Walker got a touch on the ball at around the 60 minute mark and it was genuinely the first time I heard the radio commentator say his name. Was he as anonymous to those actually watching? He was such a dangerous player just before his move away from Hearts last time, and he took his goal really well, but it didn’t sound like he was impressing himself on the match like he can.

Not read the thread since before the game. Just caught up on gurgly telly. 

Will be interested too see what folk made of it. 

I think that the Dons finding a way to win against that bunch of cheating thugs augurs well for the season, 

That was like the first three star wars: good guys win, evil looks like it's going to triumph, then the goodies rally to finish off the cheating jambo thug b*****ds. 

I fucking love the Dons just now 

5 hours ago, Tony Wonder said:

The decision not to send Ferguson off was worse. His yellow could've been a red and he was on a booking when he smashed into Clare.

I'll see your Ferguson and raise you a Mulreany two footed lunge deliberately through the back of Logan. 

And the decision not to send of Ferguson wasn't worse. The precedent was set and assault was fair game. Ichipeezu forearm smashed an opponent at pace off the ball, probably on purpose, and got away with it. Ferguson went for a header leading with his arm. Agree, potential red but no way worse. 

43 minutes ago, coprolite said:

I'll see your Ferguson and raise you a Mulreany two footed lunge deliberately through the back of Logan. 

And the decision not to send of Ferguson wasn't worse. The precedent was set and assault was fair game. Ichipeezu forearm smashed an opponent at pace off the ball, probably on purpose, and got away with it. Ferguson went for a header leading with his arm. Agree, potential red but no way worse. 

Off the ball? Ikpeazu was jumping for a header and looking solely at the ball.  I agree, he could've went but Ferguson's looked like it had more intent. He lead with an elbow knowing where the player was.  Plus, my main gripe was after his elbow he cleaned out Clare while on a booking.  Was a stonewall second yellow.

Anyway it matters not a jot now.

9 hours ago, NorthernLights said:

Hearts have two tactics this seasons.

1. Keep Naismith fit and ensure all play ends up going though him.
2. Lump it long to Ikpeazu

Apart from those two players they have little else going for them.

Can’t agree with that. They do have good players who can move the ball quickly and cause problems.

But due to their emphasis on a very physical approach they will always be relying heavily on the ref being very lenient.  Which they got yesterday.

Cant imagine for a second that when they’re up against the Ugly Sisters , especially in. Glasgow , they would be allowed to get away with nearly as much as the ref allowed yesterday.

9 hours ago, RussellAnderson said:

Walker got a touch on the ball at around the 60 minute mark and it was genuinely the first time I heard the radio commentator say his name. Was he as anonymous to those actually watching? He was such a dangerous player just before his move away from Hearts last time, and he took his goal really well, but it didn’t sound like he was impressing himself on the match like he can.

Was saying that at the game - I could hardly recall him touching the ball during the first hour, but he always seems to score against us - and to be fair, it was a bonnie finish - though we parted like the red sea.

Was also saying that we'd regret not getting a second goal during our period of having the upperhand, but I suppose it's difficult when any promising period of play invariably ends in the opponents queuing up to inflict a cynical foul.  It was almost scripted for Naismith, and I thought the guy Washington was a handful - and our defence didn't really react to the changes well at all.

As for the cynical play, Levein teams do this time and again.  I'm not sure Hearts will take the step from 5th/6th to challenging for 2nd/3rd with this dinosaur in charge.  They actually have a strong-looking squad with decent players, and as alluded to elsewhere, if the shackles were off more often would likely be a much better side for it.  The red card was merely a consequence of Leveinball.

As for AFC - early signs look promising that we have more in our armour to make Pittodrie games more entertaining this season.  Hopefully we emerged unscathed from that for Croatia, and at least we got some use of our squad, despite a worrying half a dozen early season injuries.

Bizarre that the BBC opted not to show Wilson's sitter he missed at 0-0 on the highlights. Well worked corner routine.

Not seen the alleged Ferguson incident that some Hearts fans have referenced but Hearts were lucky not to have Ikpeazu and Clare sent off for late tackles whilst on a yellow and the Mulraney one was a shocker. We didn't even get a free kick.

Thought we deserved the three points after controlling the first hour or so of play but there was a massive difference in the Hearts team when Naismith came on.

Guest Bob Mahelp
21 minutes ago, Merkland Red said:

Bizarre that the BBC opted not to show Wilson's sitter he missed at 0-0 on the highlights. Well worked corner routine.

Not seen the alleged Ferguson incident that some Hearts fans have referenced but Hearts were lucky not to have Ikpeazu and Clare sent off for late tackles whilst on a yellow and the Mulraney one was a shocker. We didn't even get a free kick.

Thought we deserved the three points after controlling the first hour or so of play but there was a massive difference in the Hearts team when Naismith came on.

Naismith is a good enough player to cause problems for most teams. Hearts' season will probably depend on keeping him fit.

There's still a constant, nagging worry for us that despite the improvement that Ojo brings, we have a soft centre in defence and are vulnerable to good players running into gaps between our midfield and central defenders. 

Ojo got pulled out of position once yesterday and it led directly to the 2nd goal. We don't keep many clean sheets these days. 

Archived