McBurnie's socks

It's a weird one this. On paper he's our most elite level striker, and should be in the squad, probably starting.

But then we have the reality of his insipid 16 caps a few years back, when we just never looked like scoring.

Perhaps you could argue the team was mostly dysfunctional for the first 8-12 of those caps (can't remember how many he got under McLeish). Also you could say he dug in to score a pen in the Serbia shoot out, after having done his bit to cling onto the 1-1 draw in ET. And he has had a few maverick 'almost' moments - I recall the Israel NL away game where we were f**king honking, and he rockets in a looping, bending shot that battered off the bar (probably the closest we came to scoring all day).

But then in yesterday's bbc article (https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/articles/cm2n4547n6go), there was a full interview, but nothing directly from him about his feelings on Scotland, apart from the journo saying at the end "He still wants to represent Scotland", which I found oddly unemphatic.

And in the guardian article above, and in today's interview with him on Talksport, Scotland representation isn't even mentioned.

Sounds to me like he's made it known on the quiet that he's not really interested.

He posted (and then deleted, I think) a picture of himself in a Scotland strip after Dykes got ruled out of the Euros and Conway got called up. Pretty sure he'd still want to play for us.

2 hours ago, craigkillie said:

He posted (and then deleted, I think) a picture of himself in a Scotland strip after Dykes got ruled out of the Euros

pulling up trees/battering down doors to play for us.....

Even Ryan Gauld has made the squad. It’s only a matter of time until McBurnie is back. When it comes to forwards - or most positions really - we’re not spoilt for choice.

2 hours ago, Crawford Bridge said:

I'd have him ahead of Dykes. 

Scotland shouldn't be selecting League Two players on principle. 

I agree, but that doesn't have anything to do with Dykes.

The McBurnie thing is a strange one. One that I feel there is more than meets the eyes.

There was a time when McBurnie was an "untouchable" under Clarke.

Now McBurnie can't even get into the Scotland squad whilst starting regularly in La Liga.

Doesn't add up.

Edited by Chripper

4 hours ago, Self-raising Lazarus said:

In fairness to him Clark has his favourites like any other manager, and unless Dykes and che Adams are injured can you see him getting called up? Probably not. 

Agree that this will be SC's thinking, but it's the chasm that exists now between the playing levels of McBurnie and Dykes that stands on the brink of stretching credibility.

9 hours ago, Chripper said:

The McBurnie thing is a strange one. One that I feel there is more than meets the eyes.

There was a time when McBurnie was an "untouchable" under Clarke.

Now McBurnie can't even get into the Scotland squad whilst starting regularly in La Liga.

Doesn't add up.

Is it maybe because his Scotland record as a striker was played 16, scored 0?

1 hour ago, VictorOnopko said:

Is it maybe because his Scotland record as a striker was played 16, scored 0?

He hit the crossbar in two consecutive matches. If those went it things might've been different.

I think it was in the North American tour that a few of the squad couldn't be bothered to make.

Stats can be screwed.

Steven Fletcher scored 10 in 33. Doesn't sound bad.

Then you realise that 6 were against Gibraltar. 1 was against Malta. 1 against Albania and 1 against Iceland.

Take those stats out of the equation and Steven Fletcher scored 1 goal in 29.

It's not just that he didn't score, it's that his sheer presence on the pitch seemed to prevent Scotland from scoring. Scotland as a whole scored 1 goal with Oli McBurnie on the pitch across his entire international career.

It doesn't mean he couldn't play with us again going forward, but his Scotland career to date must be one of the worst ever.

Players mature at different levels. We aren't in a place where we can pick and choose.

Just to be clear, though, I wasn't having a go at Steven Fletcher. Or Naismith, etc.

Playing as a sole striker for Scotland is a tough gig.

Adams and Dykes haven't scored a lot, but their job is a helluva lot easier now that they're either playing with a strike partner or two number 10s.

1 hour ago, Chripper said:

He hit the crossbar in two consecutive matches. If those went it things might've been different.

I think it was in the North American tour that a few of the squad couldn't be bothered to make.

Stats can be screwed.

Steven Fletcher scored 10 in 33. Doesn't sound bad.

Then you realise that 6 were against Gibraltar. 1 was against Malta. 1 against Albania and 1 against Iceland.

Take those stats out of the equation and Steven Fletcher scored 1 goal in 29.

His "1 goal" is one of the best I remember though. Celebrated that screamer against Poland like few other goals for Scotland. We were qualifying at that point weren't we?

2 minutes ago, Self-raising Lazarus said:

His "1 goal" is one of the best I remember though. Celebrated that screamer against Poland like few other goals for Scotland. We were qualifying at that point weren't we?

I think so.