Scotland “decades behind on attitude to race”

9 minutes ago, Kuro said:

It would be used towards a white person in a majority black country.  You're making quite a bit leap here imo by automatically attaching the rest.

I'm willing to bet that white South Africans are rarely asked to explain what part of Rotterdam their ancestors lived in.

Edited by Carl Cort's Hamstring

10 minutes ago, Carl Cort's Hamstring said:

It's clumsy language that would never be used towards a white person. 

If a white person with a distinct American or eastern European accent said that they came from Glasgow then they'd certainly be asked the same questionon a regular basis, rightly or not. So that claim is complete and utter bollocks then.

Just now, Carl Cort's Hamstring said:

I'm willing to bet that white South Africans are rarely asked to explain what part of Rotterdam their ancestors lived in.

I bet a white person who was born and grew up in Nigeria would be asked.  It's just natural curiosity.

5 minutes ago, virginton said:

If a white person with a distinct American or eastern European accent said that they came from Glasgow then they'd certainly be asked the same questionon a regular basis, rightly or not. So that claim is complete and utter bollocks then.

Comparing me claiming to be a Londoner, in my pretty distinctive London accent, with someone who actually has a foreign accent  pretty succinctly proves my point I think.

6 minutes ago, virginton said:

There's a clear difference between asking that and asking a Londoner with a London accent where they're really from. And if an Eastern European stranger gives you that answer it's pretty clear he doesn't want to discuss his genes with you.

Edited by welshbairn

16 minutes ago, Carl Cort's Hamstring said:

Comparing me claiming to be a Londoner, in my pretty distinctive London accent, with someone who actually has a foreign accent  pretty succinctly proves my point I think.

You said that a 'white' person would never be asked that question and so it was racist; that straightforward example quite clearly proves it to be wrong. Pretty sure that someone with a thick Mackem accent stating that they're 'from London' would be subjected to some level of enquiry as well. 

It's really not my fault that you made an arse of your point by making a sweeping, skin colour-based generalisation tbh. 

Edited by vikingTON

If, for arguments sake, you were to meet Paulo Nutini (assuming you knew nothing about him) and asked where he was from and he said Paisley, a good number of us would make a comment regarding his name/Mediterranean good looks and imply that he wasn’t your average citizen of Paisley. I’m not convinced this clumsy language wouldn’t be used on white people, it would just come across as less racist or probably not even racist at all.

4 minutes ago, virginton said:

You said that a 'white' person would never be asked that question and so it was racist; that straightforward example quite clearly proves it to be wrong. Pretty sure that someone with a thick Mackem accent stating that they're 'from London' would be subjected to some level of enquiry as well. 

It's really not my fault that you made an arse of your point by making a sweeping, skin colour-based generalisation tbh. 

If you really do think that Steve Bruce suddenly deciding he's a cockney is a sensible counterpoint, then there's little point continuing.

It's quite sad when an intelligent person has to pretend to be thick to argue their point. All a bit Brexity

On 17/08/2019 at 14:50, ali_91 said:

Based on absolutely nothing but my perceptions, i’d say Scottish people tend to be more casually racist (see those morons in Ayrshire calling people black b*****ds, and the liberal use of a racist slur to describe Chinese food,) but English people tend to be much more likely to actually hold racist beliefs, and dislike people that aren’t Caucasian/English/Carling drinkers. 

I'd say this is very similar to my own experiences. Casual racism more of a thing in Scotland, deep-rooted, far right racism more of a thing in England.

14 minutes ago, Carl Cort's Hamstring said:

If you really do think that Steve Bruce suddenly deciding he's a cockney is a sensible counterpoint, then there's little point continuing.

What has 'deciding he's a cockney' got to do with anything? Hundreds of thousands of people from Scotland and northern England (to name just two regions) move to London and make it their home over each generation. They've got as much right to say that they're from London as anyone else, yet face questions about their 'real' background as well. If you had said that the question would never be asked of 'a white person with a thick cockney accent' then your point would be accurate. But you didn't. You just said 'a white person'. Which is demonstrably wrong. 

It's quite sad when an intelligent person has to pretend to be thick to argue their point. 

That's a bit harsh on yourself tbh; it's just a case of that pesky 'clumsy language' coming back rather ironically to bite you on your arse. Better luck next time.

Edited by vikingTON

My parents still use the P### and C#### word to describe someone of south or East Asian origin. Unfortunately it’s the generation they come from. There were not many non white faces growing up in West Fife in the 70s. It wasn’t until till I moved to the smoke in the late 80s that I personally got to know anyone of any different ethnicities.
It has changed slightly up here but things are still not perfect.
I remember once going to my local Chinese takeaway when back in Fife visiting in the early 90s. When I explained to the Chinese girl behind the counter that I was living in London. She said in a broad Fife accent ‘aye there’s a lot of foreigners down there’.
I live back here permanently now and my wife often gets asked where she comes from but only after she has spoken, she is from the south of englandshire.
You only need to go to some of the old mining villages in Fife to see that a 5 mile distance can result in a ‘their not like us attitude’

1 hour ago, Dunfermline Don said:

You only need to go to some of the old mining villages in Fife to see that a 5 mile distance can result in a ‘their not like us attitude’

Reminds me of a court report from the Dundee Courier a few years ago, when a Windygates youth appeared in court charged with throwing a half brick through the window of a bus bound for Kennoway, which caused injury to a couple of passengers and of course damage to the bus.

Asked by the court to explain his actions the youth replied 

"Ah dinnae really like thae folk frae Kennoway".

Edited by ICTJohnboy

On 18/08/2019 at 10:51, Carl Cort's Hamstring said:

I don't think "which country is the most racist?" is a particularly helpful discussion to have as it just gets people's backs up. It's also going to vary hugely from place to place. I grew up in London which is obviously very different to growing up somewhere like Stoke. Similarly, a Scottish Asian living in Glasgow will probably have a nicer time than one living in Peterhead.

I do think quite a few people on this thread are a bit deluded on the level of overt racism non-white people in Scotland face though.

Its actually a little racist to assume people from Peterhead are racists, based on nothing at all other than your own preconceptions and bias.  

1 hour ago, virginton said:

What has 'deciding he's a cockney' got to do with anything? Hundreds of thousands of people from Scotland and northern England (to name just two regions) move to London and make it their home over each generation. They've got as much right to say that they're from London as anyone else, yet face questions about their 'real' background as well. If you had said that the question would never be asked of 'a white person with a thick cockney accent' then your point would be accurate. But you didn't. You just said 'a white person'. Which is demonstrably wrong.

That's the difference between where you are from and where you live/stay (stay entertains the English no end).

You can change where you live you can't change where you are from.