Scotland “decades behind on attitude to race”

7 hours ago, Dee Man said:

Hasn't Peterhead Prison been shut for years?

Where have all the paedos gone?
Long time passing
Where have all the paedos gone?
Long time ago
Where have all the paedos gone?
The BBC hired every one
When will they ever learn?
When will they ever learn?

An Indian guy in work showed me some viral video with a Scottish guy in it the other week and said "Come and see this video with a Scotty guy in it".

I just want to know if I should have been offended or not. 

Using the "it's just the way it was in their time" excuse for the racist language your parents or grandparents use just doesn't wash with me. I can honestly both my parents and all of my grandparents, including my maternal who grew up in Nazi ruled Germany, have nothing used racist language casually or otherwise. 

Using the "it's just the way it was in their time" excuse for the racist language your parents or grandparents use just doesn't wash with me. I can honestly both my parents and all of my grandparents, including my maternal who grew up in Nazi ruled Germany, have nothing used racist language casually or otherwise. 

Correct. Can I ask where you are from?

So she was Scottish, not Chinese then?

I probably should have been more specific. Born in Hong Kong but brought up in Scotland. So a Scot of Asian origin.
I agree some sort of badge or card we can all carry with an explanation of our ethnicity would help things (don’t suggest it out loud though Farage might have it as his first actual policy)

18 hours ago, Detournement said:

That's the difference between where you are from and where you live/stay (stay entertains the English no end).

You can change where you live you can't change where you are from.

Erm yes you quite clearly can, as local, regional, national identities are in fact self-selected to a great degree. Someone who was born and raised in Glasgow years ago can still consider London (or anywhere else in the world) the place that they're from in the present day.  

20 hours ago, virginton said:

What has 'deciding he's a cockney' got to do with anything? Hundreds of thousands of people from Scotland and northern England (to name just two regions) move to London and make it their home over each generation. They've got as much right to say that they're from London as anyone else, yet face questions about their 'real' background as well. 

image.gif.3865ef443806ddfafbd1eac10122f29f.gifDo they? Do they really? I think you're going to need to provide some examples of that.

20 hours ago, virginton said:

If you had said that the question would never be asked of 'a white person with a thick cockney accent' then your point would be accurate. But you didn't. You just said 'a white person'. Which is demonstrably wrong. 

The word demonstrably normally implies that you actually show some evidence to prove something, rather than provide a load of hypotheticals that you've just made up.

This is honestly a completely bizarre f*cking hill to die on.

5 minutes ago, Carl Cort's Hamstring said:

This BBC Scotland sketch is quite good actually:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p07hm1sj

If that's is something that white British people experience on a regular basis then fair enough, I take it all back. I'd be surprised though.

You're not getting it, Scots get that all the time. Still getting over the time in a pub in England when somebody said "What are you having Jock?". Had to go straight to my hotel room and scrub myself in a hot shower to calm down. 

25 minutes ago, Carl Cort's Hamstring said:

image.gif.3865ef443806ddfafbd1eac10122f29f.gifDo they? Do they really? I think you're going to need to provide some examples of that.

The word demonstrably normally implies that you actually show some evidence to prove something, rather than provide a load of hypotheticals that you've just made up.

This is honestly a completely bizarre f*cking hill to die on.

He thinks using big words and acting smug makes him look clever but he'll never see himself as others see him.

I've fucked around on here for 7 year, yet I don't have a postcount in the millions.  basicly there are 2 kinds of people on here, those who come on when they've nothing better to do and then those who never have anything better to do. guess which category he's in?