Succession

Detournement

Just now, Rugster said:

It was fantastic. I was convinced for quite a while it was a fake to test how the kids reacted and who really loved him the most. Gutted he’s deid. 

Aye, for a good while all you had to go on was the phonecall and even that started off crackly and unclear. Must have been 10 minutes before it was confirmed to the viewer it was really happening. 

Just got caught up with the most recent  tonight after only starting watching Succession a couple months ago ago.

Absolutely engrossing television. Genuinely thought through most of it that Logan was doing an extremely elaborate ruse.

Thought the way they handled it was very well done as well, all chaos and confusion.

Logan's death was shite imo. The character deserved more than an essentially off screen killing off.

Latest episode was fairly boring and show feels empty without him. At least Kendall appears like he's about to go full Michael Corleone, hoepfully that will fill the Logan void for the remaining episodes.

On 20/04/2023 at 12:28, Jives Miguel said:

Logan's death was shite imo. The character deserved more than an essentially off screen killing off.

Latest episode was fairly boring and show feels empty without him. At least Kendall appears like he's about to go full Michael Corleone, hoepfully that will fill the Logan void for the remaining episodes.

I respect your opinion but also totally disagree 😂

I've really enjoyed last two episodes, 4 especially had some of the best lines this season and really wanting to see how Matsson is going to shaft them. 

“Off the top of my head, I can think of a 3 point plan we could try. Point 1, stop sending people your blood”.

Excellent stuff again. Assumed that they’d piss Matsson off to the point of no return, deal would implode, and the last 6 eps would be the kids fighting for control, but the pivot at the end all but removes that possibility as the board would definitely vote the deal through.

Can’t call where it’s going to go or how it’s going to get there, and it’s testament to how good the writing is that it’s not a concern in the slightest. 

10 minutes ago, J_Stewart said:

“Off the top of my head, I can think of a 3 point plan we could try. Point 1, stop sending people your blood”.

Excellent stuff again. Assumed that they’d piss Matsson off to the point of no return, deal would implode, and the last 6 eps would be the kids fighting for control, but the pivot at the end all but removes that possibility as the board would definitely vote the deal through.

Can’t call where it’s going to go or how it’s going to get there, and it’s testament to how good the writing is that it’s not a concern in the slightest. 

In terms of sustained quality in acting, writing, the whole lot really.. This is just smashing its way up to the top table of TV. It's genuinely of the finest quality in all aspects. 

41 minutes ago, Big Fifer said:

At least twice the camera was zooming in on Shiv, including right at the end. Something's afoot!

Only thing I can think of is possible collusion with Matsson. Can’t remember if she was aware that the plan was to blow up the deal or not, but she could have potentially informed him, so he was prepared (why he said Roman was fucked and he couldn’t quite work out why), able to put in an offer so large that is was unturndownable (definitely a word), in exchange for a seat at the table when it all went through, maybe as head of ATN seeing as she’s already trying to medal in it. She’s definitely trying to manipulate Tom as well, which, baby aside, would tie in with that considering his position.

38 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

In terms of sustained quality in acting, writing, the whole lot really.. This is just smashing its way up to the top table of TV. It's genuinely of the finest quality in all aspects. 

Cranston and Paul in Breaking Bad and Bob Odenkirk and Rhea Seehorn in Better Call Saul aside, I can’t think of a programme where the lead actors are just so consistently excellent through multiple seasons of television. It is absolutely outstanding in every facet.

The exchange between Shiv and Tom at the end of the most recent episode was great. I mean, Shiv is correct that Tom is servile, but at least it is a tactical servility - and, for the most part, it has worked well for him as a social climber. Shiv has been used by Gil, Logan and now Lukas has completely ripped the piss out of her. At least Tom can actually say that he has been a good tactician, however it ends for him now. 

I've seen maybe a few (only a few) better episodes of television (including Connor's Wedding), I've seen a few episodes of (fictional) television that just made you feel mildly uncomfortable with the overall story and motivations / actions of the characters, but I don't think I've ever seen anything like that combined. From start to finish it was just tense and frantic, and even the comic relief (Greggory Peggory fake snorting lines, "WASABI", etc) had an impact on the development of the story.

This is also the one episode I can remember where there is just not a single shred of humanity left with any character by the end, just pure self-interest throughout, which, considering we only have two episodes left, is a perfect set-up for this family of sociopaths to eat each other. 

7 minutes ago, J_Stewart said:

I've seen maybe a few (only a few) better episodes of television (including Connor's Wedding), I've seen a few episodes of (fictional) television that just made you feel mildly uncomfortable with the overall story and motivations / actions of the characters, but I don't think I've ever seen anything like that combined. From start to finish it was just tense and frantic, and even the comic relief (Greggory Peggory fake snorting lines, "WASABI", etc) had an impact on the development of the story.

This is also the one episode I can remember where there is just not a single shred of humanity left with any character by the end, just pure self-interest throughout, which, considering we only have two episodes left, is a perfect set-up for this family of sociopaths to eat each other. 

Once again, absolutely crushed it. Love Toms occasional conflicting forays into trying to sort of educate Greg, then remembering to use him as his human shield again. Also loved that it was Greg at the root of Shiv getting unravelled. 

Quite a development from Roman too in that episode. Really pushed himself into the drivers seat which we haven't seen much of so far. Kendall was sort of post-meltdown passive and Roman just railroaded his agenda through. 

It's just absolute premium quality TV. A human snake pit being portrayed note-perfect. 

It is really refreshing having a TV show where every single person is horrible in their own way. There isn't a single person you feel has a redeemable quality. One of the best series I've seen in years. 

Really hoping we get the return of Logan's new burd at the funeral turning up like: