Succession

Detournement

An incredible episode, the writing throughout this entire series has been top notch, every character is abhorrent but you root for them all. Culkin has been brilliant playing Roman.

All 3 of those funeral speeches were utter, utter cringe. Fantastic writing and acting.

On 17/05/2023 at 22:57, sfha said:

An incredible episode, the writing throughout this entire series has been top notch, every character is abhorrent but you root for them all. Culkin has been brilliant playing Roman.

I disagree, most of them do have sympathetic parts to their characters

Kendall - only character to have remorse and 2nd thoughts for awful things he's done. only one t stand up to Logan when he was throwing hands
Tom - a good person who was corrupted by the red witch
Connor -genuinely loves and cares for his wife and family, despite not getting much back in return
Greg - just a doughball trying to make his way in an evil world
Roman - the least schemful of the siblings, would be happy to co-pilot the company but the other 2 only out for themselves

I think Shiv is the only one without any redeemable features. An absolute sociopath. Still maintain shagging about on Tom and then telling he can like it or lump it on their wedding night is the worst thing anyones done on the show thus far.

They are all awful, to be honest.

Kendall has shown some signs of becoming a better operator since Logan's death, especially when it comes to how he deals with the likes of Hugo and even Colin and Roman in the last episode, but he is still willing to jump into bed with a fascist - knowingly throwing his own children under the bus - so that he can 'win'. 

Tom has also shown no evidence of being a good person. He is a merciless social climber with no principles. Shiv, for all her many own deficiencies and shortcomings, did have him pretty much bang to rights on the balcony.

Connor can at least be excused a bit. He is the only sibling not born to Caroline, and thus an inconvenient afterthought for Logan and the siblings. They don't respect him, and understandably so because he has done basically nothing with his life. At least his hopeless run for the presidency gave him the illusion that he was doing something remotely important. He knows Willa doesn't love him, but I suppose that's not what he is really looking for - he just needs one relationship where somebody is at least willing to pretend to value and support him over a period of time, without suddenly disappearing or dropping him. Willa is at least willing to play that role up to a point. He is still bad, though. 

Woke up early bells this morning and watched it before work as couldn't risk possible spoilers or face having to wait a full day. It was perfect. The ending the programme deserved, the ending the characters (mostly) all deserved. Four full seasons to get to the entire crux of the show that's been running since season 1 ep 1 - Kendall in his most important moment yelling "but I'm the oldest boy" at his siblings who are yet again stabbing him in the back (mainly Shiv) purely as a result of their own egos and inability to let him win. Tense though it all was, was genuinely laughing at just how childish and petty Shiv saying "I just don't think you'd be good at it" was. This wasn't a serious persons real concerns being detailed out, this wasn't a critique of his competence (especially when we've seen glimpses in this season with the public speaking and maneuvering that he is actually capable) , it was a jealous sister breaking their own toy so their sibling didn't get to play with it. The stuff about killing the waiter and the legitimacy of the children was just the perfect final knife twist as well. It's all over. It's all come crumbling down. Kendall completely broken, Roman somewhat relieved to finally be out of the "bullshit" and Shiv stuck somewhere in between.

Loved that they almost encapsulated the full "Shiv circle" meme twice in one episode as well. Schemes with Matsson, gloats, realises she's been wallet inspected yet again, joins the "incredible fuckbrother bandwagon", schemes some more, lets her ego and spite drive a last minute change of mind to f**k over her brother, and runs back to Tom's 'stability', even though there's no love there and it essentially puts her in the one position she fears the most...status with no power. Wife to a CEO, mother to a CEO's child, but no real say in anything, essentially just becoming her mum.

Also loved Tom putting the sticker on Gregory the Eggory's forehead at the end and "claiming him" officially. Those two have probably provided the most comic relief throughout, but have also been key components in every major development, and whilst they're both self-serving scumbags, they're probably the most human main characters, the least pure evil / megalomaniacal, and actually do some legitimate work within a corporate structure, so maybe the most deserving "winners". 

The story, character development, dialogue and acting performances (Jeremy Strong especially)  were just consistently phenomenal throughout, and finished with more of the same really. A top 5 programme of all time, and maybe my second favourite ever after Breaking Bad. Gutted it's finished tbh.

"Goodbye my dear, dear world of a programme".

Was clear that it wasn't going to end with the kids getting their way so was just a matter of if everyone was fucked or one of the side characters would get the gig. Wasn't also sure if Logan from beyond the grave would have had one last say in matters somehow but all in all quite happy with how it was wrapped up.

I am gutted it is over. I am not sure where exactly I would place it in terms of my favourite programmes of all time, but many of the individual instalments are up there in my favourite TV episodes, particularly Connor's Wedding.

I am a bit conflicted in terms of evaluating Shiv's final move. On one hand, I suppose it was primarily driven by spite and not being able to stomach Kendall 'winning', hence the "I love you, but I can't stomach you" line. On the other, it probably is a marginally better outcome for her. That is, to take her share from the deal and at least have the father of her baby as the US CEO. Either that, or she actually believes that the deal allows her to bide her time and keeps her in the game for a little while longer. What did she have to gain from voting with Kendall? Nothing that I can see. She hates him, she would lose money, and she would still be entangled in the company but without any real authority or power. I can understand her flipping out of pure emotion after learning that Matsson was playing her, but she finally made the more pragmatic and sensible choice for herself (although probably 99% out of spite rather than any clear logic).

Thought that tied up the loose ends quite effectively. Laughed myself silly at the scene with Roman and "Peters special cheese".

Tom played his hand well with Mattson. Genuinely thought Kendall was going to take a jump into the river in the final scene.

Firmly in my top tier of TV shows now. It kinda ended how it had to and it should have. 

Another faceless corporate yes man in charge. Kendall couldn't have won when you think about it, he killed someone and didn't face the consequences. The only one who will be happy will be Roman he seemed to realise that none of them should probably have it, which is how Logan would have wanted it. There's no chance he'd have handed it over. They just aren't serious people

Wonderful ending to an amazing show. Properly smiled at them just fighting each other at the end.

Very sad to see it go, but I think it’s ended at just the right time. 

Has to be the best finale I've seen. Four seasons doesn't seem enough for a show that good IMO. I suppose it's in a state where it could be revisited or maybe a spinoff.

Tom is up there with my favourite TV and film characters.

32 minutes ago, Jupiter Jazz said:

Has to be the best finale I've seen. Four seasons doesn't seem enough for a show that good IMO. I suppose it's in a state where it could be revisited or maybe a spinoff.

Tom is up there with my favourite TV and film characters.

I thought it was left in a place where they couldn’t really go back and make and more series. The company has been sold and the ending showed that the three of them are exactly the same as they were at the start of the show and are never really likely to change.

There probably is room for a spin-off with Tom and Greg but I’m not really sure it is needed.

4 minutes ago, well fan for life said:

Every single person completely fumbled it other than Tom in the end. He might be a human snake pit but he's outsmarted every single one of the Roys. 

What a bloody ending. 

He nearly fucked it when he stumbled with Shiv saying "maybe you should just vote it through" then had to tell her it was him. I think I'd have preferred her not knowing it was going to be him and vote it through then see the shock on her face.

Absolutely brilliant show.

I know I say this literally every post I make in this thread, but what a fucking cow Shiv is. Right to the end a consistently despicable human being. My most hated TV character of all time.

I really though big Ken was going straight to take a heider off the building when he got into that lift.