Succession

Detournement

53 minutes ago, J_Stewart said:

Only negative now is having to wait a year or more for it to come back. What a show.

That's a gutter but at least you can be confident it will deliver. 

Tom going from the beach scene in season 2 where he was totally broken to the verge of prison and getting totally emasculated by Shiv over the "freezing" then coming out on top was a great arc. He's corrupting Greg nicely as well.

Logan was quite right to cut the three siblings out. They are total morons. 

Blasted through the lot this last week.

S1 &S2 were brilliant. S3 was a bit meh right up to the last two and probably good (for me) there's a break. 

The character arcs are so interesting. Shiv is just awful, awful. Deeply unlikable. Tom is a fud, they could have made him worse than Shiv yet cos she's awful you end up liking him, or I did at least. 

This sounds pish, but I know someone who's in the Iceland episode and he said Jeremy Strong didn't even say Hi or acknowledge him and was in 'character' the whole day shooting 

Go on! How many have tried doing the soft Dundee/US ''f**k off'' Logan accent? And have you mastered it? Coming from that area, mines still sounds a bit too orary but getting there :)

Wonder how much of Cox's lines are off the cuff/improv? Some of his comebacks seem to be too funny/quick for a writer to write in a room with other failed comedians. 

The acting is superb. Shiv, Tom (at the start it's a bit ropey, then so was Gandolfini's in Sopranos at the start) accents are brilliant for not being from there. 

Gerri is also in another great underated program from a few years back called Rectify too, if you're missing her over Xmas. And, Carl, you just loves his big brazzen puss and mannerisms. 

BEST thing I've seen in donkeys, probably since Rectify.

• 1 year later...
2 hours ago, Bairnardo said:

Back next month and confirmed just this season then it's done. 

Good. I think if they stick this season it takes a pretty high slot in my favourite ever series list.

I was gutted reading this today initially, then I was almost relieved. I have loved every episode if Succession, so if they nail this final season, it'll be right up there for me. Too many shows jumping the shark these days. 

• 1 month later...

Burst out laughing multiple times, but Shiv greeting Tom with “I hear you and Greg are calling yourselves the Disgusting Brothers now” was genuinely hilarious. 

Fantastic first episode back. Puts the kids in play immediately for the crowd pleasing war or equally crowd pleasing backstabbing en route to reconciliation with Logan. So many moving pieces. Can’t call it yet, not even sure I want to call it, just want to sit back watch the Roy’s tear each other apart, and chuckle at the sordid adventures of the Disgusting Brothers.

Tom shafting Greg will never stop being funny. The only one in the family to immediately see the value of a useful idiot and claimed him for himself. Tom might actually be the dark horse to end up sat on the throne 😂

Couldn't figure out the play with the newsreader audition. I thought it was a stitch up for something but then she never discussed it with Logan after Greg's focus group chat with her.

4 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

Tom shafting Greg will never stop being funny. The only one in the family to immediately see the value of a useful idiot and claimed him for himself. Tom might actually be the dark horse to end up sat on the throne 😂

Couldn't figure out the play with the newsreader audition. I thought it was a stitch up for something but then she never discussed it with Logan after Greg's focus group chat with her.

I didn't think it was anything deeper than to show the chain of command on that 'side'. Greg is Tom's useful idiot, just as Tom is the same for Logan, and that at the moment, he's a yes man that will literally do whatever Logan tells him, regardless of how fucking nonsensical it is.

Laughed out loud when Kendall got off the call with Matsson, realised he was being 100% serious about pulling out if they asked for more money, and immediately set the wheels in motion to scupper the deal. Will be interesting to see if it's purely to screw over Logan's plans, or if he's trying to be a bit more Machiavellian and sees it as a back door to finally becoming Waystar CEO. I've a feeling, and certainly hope, it's the latter. A full circle vote of no confidence with him leading the charge and the fall-out with the other siblings would be sensational. Will also be very interesting to see if Roman's going in double agent, or is really just as love starved as the ending suggested.

5 minutes ago, J_Stewart said:

I didn't think it was anything deeper than to show the chain of command on that 'side'. Greg is Tom's useful idiot, just as Tom is the same for Logan, and that at the moment, he's a yes man that will literally do whatever Logan tells him, regardless of how fucking nonsensical it is.

Laughed out loud when Kendall got off the call with Matsson, realised he was being 100% serious about pulling out if they asked for more money, and immediately set the wheels in motion to scupper the deal. Will be interesting to see if it's purely to screw over Logan's plans, or if he's trying to be a bit more Machiavellian and sees it as a back door to finally becoming Waystar CEO. I've a feeling, and certainly hope, it's the latter. A full circle vote of no confidence with him leading the charge and the fall-out with the other siblings would be sensational. Will also be very interesting to see if Roman's going in double agent, or is really just as love starved as the ending suggested.

Aye the bit was Kendall was excellent. A pure sneaky b*****d of the worst type. I liked how Logans "you're not serious people" landed too. You could tell that momentarily hurt them 

It was a great episode. I sometimes think that significant deaths on TV are overly choreographed, but this did a really fine job of conveying the chaos, mess and shock of death. Also, as somebody who has received a very similar phone call when my dad was dying, this was one of the best depictions I have seen of the hopelessness and powerlessness that suddenly descends. 

Yeah that was a wonderful episode. The conflict between the shock and genuine sadness of those involved, coupled with their overriding need to feather their own nest was played superbly. Every one of them showing wee glimpses of how fucking horrible they are even in a borderline "human" moment. 

I actually lol'ed a couple of times at just how awful they are capable of being even in such a scenario. 

Obviously alos lol'ed heartily at the phonecall between Greg and Tom. "Little Greglets"