The Big Relegation Thread

8 hours ago, kingjoey said:

I must be really old, because it was definitely O Levels when I passed 8 of them.

It was O grades between 1962 and 1990, I sat mine in 1980.  You may be a bit older or sat exams in an English system.

• 2 months later...
Relegated without compensation ? Everyone gets parachute payments these days, back to the courts soon I guess...Unfair. 

Parachute payments are not compensation. They'll still get their parachute payments which are literally mandated in the SPFL rules.

18 hours ago, craigkillie said:

Parachute payments are not compensation. They'll still get their parachute payments which are literally mandated in the SPFL rules.

SPFL rules are just guidelines which can be ignored in the event of them becoming an inconvenience aren't they? What else is the CoS for?

• 4 weeks later...

Who’s up for going down this year then?

The four usual suspects are Hamilton Accies, St Mirren, Livi and Ross County.

We can discount perenial pundits faves for relegation Accies right away. There’s only two things that would survive a nuclear holocaust, cockroaches and Hamilton Academical. They will be hopeless throughout the season, but will pull enough random wins out the bag at places like Ibrox and Fir Park (as they did on Saturday) to see them safe.

Saints and County have both had good starts to the season and find ourselves nesting in unfamiliar top six territory. Early days, but I think both of us should have just about enough to avoid the dreaded trap door. We’ve both got managers and players who’ve been around the block when it comes to relegation battles. In Obika and Stewart we also both have proven goal scoring strikers at this level.

Then you have the two teams in one club from West Lothian. Livingston away from home and Livingston at home. The latter will surely have enough to stop them from going from the top six to the Championship. Need someone to replace Dykes’ goals though.

So that’s those us four diddies safe again. The question now is which of the establishment clubs is going to do a Hearts.

Motherwell... Surely not, what a horrible start though. Five games, none of them against the three other occupants of last seasons top four, two points and only two goals. Three of their next four games are against the Old Firm and Aberdeen. Their situation could quickly go from bad to worse. Something there seems a bit... off.

The meh derby of St Johnstone and Kilmarnock always seem to do just about enough. Could be a steep learning curve for rookie coach Davidson if things start to go wrong up in Perth though, their start has been underwhelming to say the least. Lots of experience in both squads so I can see another meh mid table season for both.

What about the city clubs? This time last year we joked about Hearts going down, lol.

Hibs have started and bought well and I expect they will finish third or fourth. Dundee United have had a fairly good opening, Mellon is a good Paisley boy and seems to be an astute and experienced coach, I think they will be fine.

By process of elimination that means... Aberdeen will be relegated. Sorry Sheep.

Their partying players will COVID breach their way to so many postponements that points deductions and relegation will become inevitable. I just want to know if their fans can out huff Hearts when it’s confirmed. Let’s hope so, what great entertainment that was.

Only joking of course, Aberdeen are much too big to fail. I have absolutely no idea who will be relegated, but someone will be.

If Accies still have that horseshoe stuck up their arse, then I honestly can't tell. I think St Mirren and Livi are probably good enough to avoid the drop. Haven't seen as much of County but they've started well and have some fairly decent players.

If Motherwell don't sort themselves out soon, they could find themselves "doing a Hearts"