The Big Relegation Thread

1 minute ago, JTS98 said:

Absolutely nobody on the planet thinks Hearts' problems started this season.

What's the connection to arrogance?

I never said you were but don't you think arrogance may have led you into the position you found yourself in this season. Since you're asking the question.  

Guest JTS98
10 minutes ago, Insaintee said:

I never said you were but don't you think arrogance may have led you into the position you found yourself in this season. Since you're asking the question.  

I'm asking you to explain what that means.

What is the manifestation of this magical arrogance?

We built a poorly-constructed squad and had a poor season. We responded by signing 9 players (and 3 on loan) and getting rid of 12 (as well as first-teamers like Berra, Olly Lee, MacLean etc on loan). We also changed our head-coach. These are hardly the actions of a complacent club just sitting thinking things will magically get better.

Please explain what you actually mean by arrogance causing the problems rather than poor signings and the wrong coach?

I contend that it's a meaningless phrase simply used by people who wish it to be the case.

Edited by JTS98

3 hours ago, JTS98 said:

We see this idea again and again. Typically from St Johnstone and St Mirren fans. It doesn't tally with the reality of the discussion around football that has taken place this season and I think stems simply from an entrenched permanent opinion that bigger clubs are always arrogant rather than any basis in reality.

The reality is that Hearts got rid of their head coach who came in and binned the cub's most senior player and went out and signed an expensive new striker. This doesn't look like a complacent club to me.

At the same time Hearts supporters on Twitter (I know) and Kickback (I know) as well as Hearts-supporting friends of mine have been slating the team all season and discussing the prospect of relegation. A number of players in the team are deeply unpopular to the point of hatred.

The idea that Hearts have been sipping from the 'too good to go down' well only really comes from fans of clubs who don't like us.

Hearts have shown signs of life throughout the season. There have been good performances in there and when they've come along they have given hope, like any club. There have been times I've thought we'd turned a corner, only to fall back again. But the idea that there's been some kind of denial of our position just isn't true.

It's just the other side of the coin that says Celtic win because they try harder than everyone else. It's like saying Hearts would have done better if they'd just concentrated more. It's meaningless.

The truth is that Hearts have a squad that, while containing some good players, is imbalanced and is the consequence of good old-fashioned poor recruitment. Add to that that the club stuck by a club legend as head coach for a bit too long - hardly the first club to do so - and you have a lot of the explanation for this season.

But fans of some clubs are dying to see it as Hearts somehow being so arrogant as to assume that being bottom of the league and losing all the time is magically ok for us.

I don't know how many 'big clubs' around the world ever have to be relegated before the fallacy of 'you think you're too good to go down' will be left to die, but there you are.

It's fine, that's how football works. It's just people repeating something that they'd like to be true.

No. It's reading Hearts fans on here and social media, and speaking to the couple of hearts fans I know, and speaking to hearts fans the last couple of times we played them that's shaped my view. 

If you're saying that's not representative of the Hearts support then fair enough.

All this 'people don't like us' stuff.. is just paranoia. We were getting stick from fans of every other club when we were bottom for the first half of the season, and if Saints, killie, the Mirrens or any other club were in hearts' position now we'd be getting the same treatment.  Though admittedly Budge's handling of relegation has probably added to folks amusement, and deservedly so.

Personally I'd prefer to see killie, Livi or the Mirrens go down, as Hearts is a much better away day, but does that mean I'm not going to thoroughly enjoy what Hearts fans are going through just now?  No. No it doesn't.

Too good to go down is not about how big a club you perceive Hearts or anyone else to be. It's looking at a squad and thinking they should be able to turn it round as they've got good enough players, or are playing well enough but not getting the results their play deserves and expecting it'll come good.  I guess it might be more prevalent amongst fans of bigger clubs as in theory they should have better players.

Taking ages to appoint a new manager during a relegation threatened season, appointing a completely unproven coach after waiting ages for him to become available, playing an idealistic style of football against fellow bottom six sides which left Hearts wide open at the back whilst they should have been desperately scrapping for points. These kind of decisions.. 

Guest JTS98
16 minutes ago, PauloPerth said:

1) All this 'people don't like us' stuff.. is just paranoia.

2) Personally I'd prefer to see killie, Livi or the Mirrens go down, as Hearts is a much better away day, but does that mean I'm not going to thoroughly enjoy what Hearts fans are going through just now?  No. No it doesn't.

3) Taking ages to appoint a new manager during a relegation threatened season, appointing a completely unproven coach after waiting ages for him to become available, playing an idealistic style of football against fellow bottom six sides which left Hearts wide open at the back whilst they should have been desperately scrapping for points. These kind of decisions.. 

1) It's not paranoia. We all have football clubs we don't like. I'm not claiming Hearts as some special case.

2) Nobody's saying you shouldn't.

3) Again, that's all incompetence. But if St Mirren had done that nobody would be using it as evidence of arrogance. Just stupidity. How many fans does a club need to have before stupidity becomes arrogance?

The Hearts support (including very good friends of mine) absolutely did overestimate the quality of their squad even months into the season when it was clear they were absolute junk. There's even a thread on here where I was criticised for saying I didn't think any of their players would get into our team (which they wouldn't).

17 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

The Hearts support (including very good friends of mine) absolutely did overestimate the quality of their squad even months into the season when it was clear they were absolute junk. There's even a thread on here where I was criticised for saying I didn't think any of their players would get into our team (which they wouldn't).

Please tell me that was Sked and Fowler!

31 minutes ago, Crawford Bridge said:

It wasn't just Jambos to be fair.

Many on P&B were claiming Hearts had the best strikers outside the bigots when they signed Boyce.

I did.

I really didnt want them to sign Boyce.

After a few games he looked like a pub team player.

47 minutes ago, Crawford Bridge said:

It wasn't just Jambos to be fair.

Many on P&B were claiming Hearts had the best strikers outside the bigots when they signed Boyce.

I hadn't seen Boyce since coming back from injury, but if he was the same player as he was when he left County, then yes 100% I would argue that him and Naismith would be the best strkeforce outwith the bigots.  

3 minutes ago, PauloPerth said:

I hadn't seen Boyce since coming back from injury, but if he was the same player as he was when he left County, then yes 100% I would argue that him and Naismith would be the best strkeforce outwith the bigots.  

The same Naismirh that scored 4 goals this season...?😂

Doesn't even play as striker mate

Edited by Bohemian

5 minutes ago, PauloPerth said:

I hadn't seen Boyce since coming back from injury, but if he was the same player as he was when he left County

A St. Johnstone supporter should've known better considering you've been watching the ghost of Stevie May (also pish at Aberdeen) all season.

5 minutes ago, PauloPerth said:

You are probably talking the best part of £16k a week between them........................

I think this is part of Hearts problem - big names on big cash not performing

2 minutes ago, Bohemian said:

The same Naismirh that scored 4 goals this season...?😂

Doesn't even play as striker mate

Doidge scores that in a month....................now !

18 minutes ago, Crawford Bridge said:

A St. Johnstone supporter should've known better considering you've been watching the ghost of Stevie May (also pish at Aberdeen) all season.

True.

Have also been watching St Johnstone goals in the last minute at Easter Road the past couple of seasons scored by ANYONE WHO FUCKING WANTS TO   

1 minute ago, PauloPerth said:

True.

Have also been watching St Johnstone goals in the last minute at Easter Road the past couple of seasons scored by ANYONE WHO FUCKING WANTS TO   

What a strange reply. Touchy about Stevie May are we? I wasn't even having a go.

32 minutes ago, Crawford Bridge said:

The same Stevie May who scored more league goals than any Hibs player bar Doidge this season?

1 minute ago, RandomGuy. said:

The same Stevie May who scored more league goals than any Hibs player bar Doidge this season?

Not having a go.

Pointing out that players can be ruined by injury. Let's not pretend he's the same player as a few years ago.

Sensitive bunch when it comes to May.