Lowland in the Scottish Cup 2019-20

HibeeJibee

7 minutes ago, Nimmo's Notes said:

Think it's a gimme that Kelty v Auchinleck will be the live TV game but Fraserburgh v Bonnyrigg has to run it close as top of the Highland v top of the Lowland. 

Doesn't happen often but they may take into account the shorter distance on a Friday evening and go with Kelty.

1 minute ago, Jason King said:

Do you think he actually realises he's doing more harm than good to the "grade"? 

He appears to be utterly heartbroken at his backwater club being overtaken in the general order of things by Kelty, Dundonald and Camelon.

And clearly it's just because I'm critical of the SJFA and the current structure. If he had looked at my Twitter timeline he would have seen that my recent tweets were about the Kelty v Talbot & Edinburgh Uni v Lochee draws and Lochee's game yesterday with nothing negative said about any of the clubs I tweeted about, and actually supportive about Lochee.

So with me, he is blocking someone who is genuinely interested in junior football, watches more junior than senior football and follows a junior club closely (Lochee are my local side), just because of being critical of how the game is run...

1 hour ago, Nimmo's Notes said:

Think it's a gimme that Kelty v Auchinleck will be the live TV game but Fraserburgh v Bonnyrigg has to run it close as top of the Highland v top of the Lowland. 

I'd be surprised if BBC bosses know who tops HL & LL.

Sky also had to bring in extra lights to televise Fraserburgh v Rangers (IIRC)?

1 hour ago, Marten said:

... 20190901_204855.jpeg

Arguably it's not even Kelty's biggest cup-tie this month.

38 minutes ago, Marten said:

That didn't take long... emoji23.png

Silly c**t has probably forgot his account is still public so you can still read his tweets.

14 minutes ago, HibeeJibee said:

Sky also had to bring in extra lights to televise Fraserburgh v Rangers (IIRC)?

"Finlay said the club had not been required to provide extra lighting for the Sky TV cameras" https://www.eveningexpress.co.uk/fp/news/local/fraserburgh-fc-history-scottish-cup-clash-rangers/

Also, every time I see/hear Gretna's name I wonder if they'll ever remove the 2008 - I mean if it's good enough for a certain Glasgow club...

3 hours ago, FairWeatherFan said:

Last year I had been hoping for Fort William v. Selkirk. This year actually get Fort William v. Vale of Leithen and they both might still be bottom by the time the season finishes with Vale having to play 2 preliminary rounds next season.

Ftfy sorry could nae resist :P

Interesting point raise by the FW v VoL tie.   If VoL get relegated from the LL they enter at the first Prelim round next season (if they are still licenced), whereas FW can continue to finish bottom every season in the HL and still enter at R1.

Time for reform of the early rounds, I believe with a few reasonable tweaks, all clubs can enter at Round 1 and ditch Prelim rounds altogether.

Getting back to the football side of things, think the Kelty v Talbot game has real potential. We'll be underdogs, same as Cove last year, and a good chance to get decent odds on the game for us. Think it will be very close, and of course there'll be protagonists on both sides of the fence who want to see either (A) the Lowland League senior upstarts put in their place, or (B) the backwater Junior club who are stuck in the dark ages also getting their comeuppance. Think it'll all add a wee bit of spice to the game in the run up. We don't have a good record against Lowland League clubs - lost to both Edinburgh City and Cumbernauld Colts, and only beat BSC Glasgow after a replay. We do have an excellent away record at the very top clubs though, especially in the Highland League where we have yet to lose a tie..

Could go either way.

39 minutes ago, Steven W said:

what channel has the live TV Friday game?

BBC Scotland, channel 9 or 108 on Freeview in Scotland.

23 minutes ago, Burnie_man said:

Time for reform of the early rounds, I believe with a few reasonable tweaks, all clubs can enter at Round 1 and ditch Prelim rounds altogether.

If Banks O'Dee move up to make the HL 18 again, I think there would already be too many clubs for two preliminary rounds? Even if they don't, more licensed clubs (Tranent, St Andrews etc.) would be too much, assuming everyone else keeps their licence.

7 minutes ago, Ginaro said:

BBC Scotland, channel 9 or 108 on Freeview in Scotland.

If Banks O'Dee move up to make the HL 18 again, I think there would already be too many clubs for two preliminary rounds? Even if they don't, more licensed clubs (Tranent, St Andrews etc.) would be too much, assuming everyone else keeps their licence.

I think each club receive an additional £2k or something for the live game in R1.

We'll definitely see more Licenced clubs next season, perhaps as many as half a dozen or more, so in that case there does need to be some sort of reform.  Hopefully all non-league clubs into R1.

28 minutes ago, Kelheart said:

Could’ve done with an easier tie likesy but it is what it is , should be a braw match hopefully know we were well off them last time out 

Looks like a cracking tie and probably a close game,they’ll bring a decent crowd as well.

5 hours ago, TFW said:

Think it will be very close, and of course there'll be protagonists on both sides of the fence who want to see either (A) the Lowland League senior upstarts put in their place, or (B) the backwater Junior club who are stuck in the dark ages also getting their comeuppance. Think it'll all add a wee bit of spice to the game in the run up.

This. Let's be honest: for plenty of people, there is an element of the "Miracle on Ice", Bobby Fischer v Boris Spassky, or West Germany v East Germany at WC 1974 here...

Same happened back in the day: with Linlithgow 4-1 Spartans, Spartans 1-0 Pollok, Bo'ness 0-2 Buckie, Stirling Uni 0-1 Bonnyrigg, Edinburgh City 4-1 Shotts, Edinburgh City 2-1 Talbot, LTHV 3-0 Kelty (folk seem to forget that one nowadays), Bonnyrigg 2-1 Cove, or more recently Kelty 0-1 LTHV and Talbot 2-1 Cove.

JuniorFitbaSC to be Talbot's mascot, and Kelty to present him with an exhausted chequebook for a pennant, IMO.

7 hours ago, Burnie_man said:

Interesting point raise by the FW v VoL tie.   If VoL get relegated from the LL they enter at the first Prelim round next season (if they are still licenced), whereas FW can continue to finish bottom every season in the HL and still enter at R1.

I had been banging the drum aboot this on other threads. It just does nae seem right. 

6 minutes ago, newcastle broon said:

I had been banging the drum aboot this on other threads. It just does nae seem right. 

The first year of two preliminary rounds were 2015-16.

Cove Rangers and Vale of Leithen both started in Preliminary Round 1. Qualifiers like Auchinleck, Hermes, Kelty and LTHV got to start in Preliminary Round 2. Clubs from outwith the pyramid like Banks O'Dee and Glasgow University got to start in the First Round proper. That was due to random a draw.

From 2016-17 the two preliminary round format would see all HL and LL clubs start in the First Round proper guaranteed. For SFA licensed members from within the pyramid there wasn't a ton of them until recently

2016-17 had if i'm getting this right 6* SFA members from pyramid leagues

2017-18 had 6* SFA members that were from pyramid leagues,

2017-19 had 10* SFA members that were from pyramid leagues

2019-20 had 19* SFA members that were from pyramid leagues

*if i'm counting them up right

So it's only really become an issue in the past couple of years and it would of required a rejig this year if there had been more qualifiers.

Maybe bang your drum over what you want to change it to because it's going to change.