Ayr United’s Next Permanent Manager

15 minutes ago, THEHonestman1910 said:

Under Steven Gerrard, a born leader a Champions League winner and is getting much more resources than any other scottish club apart from Celtic. You can't compare Mark Kerr to steven Gerrard. 

Of course you can, Kerr's career to his Managerial appointment at Ayr is all relative to Gerrard's career and his Managerial appointment at Rangers.

Apart from that, I must have missed the bit where the likes of McIntyre and Canning were able to turn water into wine.........................

Assuming the board have seen what Kerr is like, and has taken feedback from the players then they will know more about Kerr than anyone on here. However, Cameron’s habit of picking someone hanging about the club has failed before(Mark Shanks, the two Rabs and Mark Roberts) with the only exception being Brian Reid.

Two weeks ago, this would have looked like a sensible appointment with the run of form and performances and depending on the next half a dozen games it might turn out to be.

I’m fairly positive about the appointment, no rebuilding needing done and we have continuity, maybe not the showbiz appointment we were hoping for but they don’t always work either

2 minutes ago, diegomarahenry said:

Assuming the board have seen what Kerr is like, and has taken feedback from the players then they will know more about Kerr than anyone on here. However, Cameron’s habit of picking someone hanging about the club has failed before(Mark Shanks, the two Rabs and Mark Roberts) with the only exception being Brian Reid.

Two weeks ago, this would have looked like a sensible appointment with the run of form and performances and depending on the next half a dozen games it might turn out to be.

I’m fairly positive about the appointment, no rebuilding needing done and we have continuity, maybe not the showbiz appointment we were hoping for but they don’t always work either

Things are bad if the likes of Canning, McIntyre or Young were being perceived as "showbiz" appointments...............

I'd be massively behind Houston coming in to help Kerr.

Will Kerr be backed in January with funds to bring in players? Lachlan said he would back McCall back in January last year and we ended up with two loanees. 

ETA: Chances of Peter Houston as assistant? Kerr played under him at Falkirk and Houston was assistant at Morton so obviously a job he’s willing to do. 

Just can't work out what I think of the appointment. He has my full support, he knows the squad well and knows how we play. The 18 months is wierd one imo.

Not delighted but not underwhelmed really. None of the names mentioned filled me with much confidence. Hope we can start with a good atmosphere on Friday to get right behind him and the team.

He'll be judged by results ultimately.

There's no reason why the current squad wont be fully behind him. If he can bring experiences from his previous clubs and recruit well, then there's no reason why it won't work out positively.

He clearly wasn't even quoted on here for the past few weeks but he should get everyone's full support (as I'm sure he will, to a lesser or greater degree as the dust settles).

His appointment in the bigger picture emphasises the lack of quality candidates at our level. This was pointed out by fans of other clubs repeatedly and presumably was a huge factor during the interview process.

Getting the players into a more committed and focussed training routine will surely be something he'll be implementing from day 1.

A pro who's career has lasted as long as his, he clearly does a lot of things right, I'm sure he'll have plenty of thoughts and ideas about the way forward and have a huge influence on the young players both in the squad now and coming through the academy.

In Kerr we trust.

When McCall left Thistle he was replaced with a player (McNamara) who immediately stopped playing and took us to the top of the league. When he got a bigger gig he was replaced by a player who immediately stopped playing and took us to top six in the Premiership.

Just saying like.

I am not sure how anyone can say its a crap appointment or not, the guy has never managed a football club in his life afaik. Even seen someone say i'll give it 6 weeks haha. Wtf

All you can say is that its a gamble by Ayr, especially if the rumours are true and they have interviewed the likes of Canning, Houston, McIntyre etc

Surely this doesn’t lack ambition, as much as is being made out?

Kerr knows the squad and, at the very least, senior members of the squad will have been asked for their thoughts as part of the board trying to make the decision. Being an unknown quantity as a manager surely isn’t worse than having been sacked by clubs at this level/where you aspire to be. Kerr seems to be a very intelligent player and knows the game well. I’d imagine his team will be well organised and he’ll set high standards for his players.

That being said, it’s a very tough task to go from player to manager. Being involved/leading banter in the dressing room, to being in charge is a tough transition. A lot of his success (or lack of) could depend on the attitudes of players and how quickly they accept him as being the boss, rather than one of them. He also needs to be firm and make sure that he’s seen to be in charge, without upsetting/alienating the players by completely changing his personality. Appointments from within do come with added challenges in that respect.

Similar to 2 appointments at Dunfermline. Jim McIntyre, it worked out well. But he offloaded around 7 players in the January window, then 8/9 in the summer. John Potter didn’t work out well. By all accounts, players wanted an ‘easy ride’ from Potter and he was too keen to keep everyone happy/still be friendly with guys he was friendly with prior to being in charge.

BuT diD they maNAGE yooth or reserv TEAMS but did they!?!

When McCall left Thistle he was replaced with a player (McNamara) who immediately stopped playing and took us to the top of the league. When he got a bigger gig he was replaced by a player who immediately stopped playing and took us to top six in the Premiership.

Just saying like.