November Squad (vs Cyprus & Kazakhstan)

Gordopolis

Why not compare their performances last season to Bates last season? There is no denying he has improved since his Rangers days to the extent he is in Scotland squads when fit.

Findlay and Gallacher are only involved due to ongoing injury issues to Bates, Souttar and recently McKenna. With everyone fit, those three plus Cooper are probably Clarke's first squad picks at CB next campaign.
I didn't compare last season because I have no way of comparing the quality of the Scottish Premiership and the Bundesliga 2.

But last season both Findlay and Gallagher were key players for their clubs as both had successful - Findlay even won player's player of the year in what was Killie's best season for 50+ years. Meanwhile Bates was in and out of a Hamburg team that failed to get promotion despite being by far the biggest club in the league.

I didn't compare last season because I have no way of comparing the quality of the Scottish Premiership and the Bundesliga 2.

But last season both Findlay and Gallagher were key players for their clubs as both had successful - Findlay even won player's player of the year in what was Killie's best season for 50+ years. Meanwhile Bates was in and out of a Hamburg team that failed to get promotion despite being by far the biggest club in the league.

Bates played the majority of their league games. I'm fairly willing to bet that last seasons Hamburg would have defeated last seasons Kilmarnock and Livingston fairly easily. Neither player was anywhere near being named in the Scotland squad a year ago, whilst Bates was actually playing.

If it wasn't for injuries, Bates (and Souttar) would still be in the squad whilst Findlay and Gallacher would be nowhere near.

8 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

Bates was fit and available in June and yet Findlay was picked ahead of him, so there's absolutely nothing to suggest that wouldn't be the case again going forward.

No he wasn’t.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/david-bates-hoping-to-leave-injury-nightmare-behind-him-bhxwhvh72

https://www.hsv.de/en/news/meldungen/saison-2018-19/mai-2019/david-bates-suffers-a-part-rupture-in-ligament/

22 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

Bates was fit and available in June and yet Findlay was picked ahead of him, so there's absolutely nothing to suggest that wouldn't be the case again going forward.

He was injured in May and wasn't fit in June.

8 hours ago, Gordopolis said:

Is there something special about Bates' injuries that makes them invisible to people on here?

I really don't understand the determination to write off a young centre back who has had a good start to his career.

Must be one of those injuries that vanishes for a week then reappears, considering he was in the Scotland squad in September...

1 minute ago, Burnie_man said:

No he wasn't

image.png.4d543405de7d40726ff96b7e8a347dbf.png

Yes, he was. As an ardent follower of Bates' career, I'd assumed such a simple fact would be something you would notice.

Maybe shuffle over to the Hamburg forums and see if theyve mentioned it.

He wasn't named in the initial squad announced by Clarke because he hadn't kicked a ball since his injury in early May, he was latterly called up to replace Hanley after playing in the League Cup for Sheff Wed.  He then got injured again in training soon after.

4 minutes ago, Burnie_man said:

He wasn't named in the initial squad announced by Clarke because he hadn't kicked a ball since his injury in early May, he was latterly called up to replace Hanley after playing in the League Cup for Sheff Wed.  He then got injured again in training soon after.

How convenient. 

Is there something special about Bates' injuries that makes them invisible to people on here?

I really don't understand the determination to write off a young centre back who has had a good start to his career.
I just don't think he's very good, and never have. Just because he's going doesn't mean I should pretend I rate the guy.

13 hours ago, craigkillie said:

I don't think you realise how bad Scottish football is.  If findlay was genuinely as.good a player as Bates he wouldn't still be at Kilmarnock he'd be doing what Bates is doing and playing at a much higher level.  Findlay did have a good season last season,so did anyone at the level Bates is at try to sign him?

He hardly 'flopped' n bundesliga two how does playing every week for almost the whole season for one of the best teams in the league equal flopping?  Can you explain that?  I would say playing five times for the team that finishes 15th is flopping in a league, playing  25 times for the team that finishes fifth is doing quite well.

Bates has progressed further in his career than any other Scottish CB of a similar age so far.  Your hatred for him.is bizarre, I genuinely assume he bullied you at school or something.  People like Declan Gallagher are a million miles from Bates league, he's 28 and at Livingstone and never played for Scotland. He's shite and always will be, Bates actually has potential.

Edited by Kuro

47 minutes ago, craigkillie said:
11 hours ago, Gordopolis said:

I just don't think he's very good, and never have. Just because he's going doesn't mean I should pretend I rate the guy.

But one of your reasons for think ing he isn't very good is predicated on the junk fact that 'he can't even get on the bench for Sheffield Wednesday'