November Squad (vs Cyprus & Kazakhstan)

Gordopolis

6 minutes ago, Stellaboz said:

They're not pointless though, are they? Being 3rd seeds for the next round of qualifying is vital to our chances no? Also, I'd fucking hate to see us finish below Cyprus or Kazakhstan, that'd be utter minter material right there. I'm betting we f**k up in Cyprus and finish below them in 4th. 

I'm not sure how the seeding process works now, or even if FIFA/UEFA are to be honest.  It used to be World Rankings for World Cup groups, which I suspect it will be again, but UEFA used Nations League.  Hopefully the latter, although looking at rankings, I suspect we'd be in pot 3 at the moment, and would probably end up the same after the Nations League.  

Of course no game is truly pointless.  And I'm often fond of saying that it can always get worse.  But absolutely everything surrounding the national team is pretty much geared towards this feeling of pointlessness.  Every squad announcement is basically always a preliminary one before multiple people drop out.  The replacements routinely draw worried shrugs.  The performances are largely abject.  The prices are still high (although their hands are slightly tied on that one, not that it matters to us).  

These games should be about laying down a marker, getting our best players playing together so we can sweep aside the likes of Cyprus and Kazakhstan and mean that we go into the March games knowing we can win.  Instead, we're playing a 2nd, maybe 3rd string side to play out our fixtures, and will likely go into March as nervous shitebags.

Hopefully the latter, although looking at rankings, I suspect we'd be in pot 3 at the moment, and would probably end up the same after the Nations League.  

I do find it slightly worrying that we'll be playing higher quality teams in League B and most teams just below us in the rankings will be in League C, potentially picking up more points before the quali draw. We really need to pick up 6 points here.

2 minutes ago, charger29 said:

I do find it slightly worrying that we'll be playing higher quality teams in League B and most teams just below us in the rankings will be in League C, potentially picking up more points before the quali draw. We really need to pick up 6 points here.

Looking at the pool for League B though, it's hardly a shining group.  We've been helped massively by the restructure, as some of the more horrifying sides have been spared relegation.  Got it below.  Obviously there are some pretty tough games in there, but there are also teams we should be beating.  We could do pretty well in a group with a decent draw.  Emphasis on could and decent.

image.png.2bb430938ddcf5751e8b68ce61caa6c5.png

1 hour ago, forameus said:

Looking at the pool for League B though, it's hardly a shining group.  We've been helped massively by the restructure, as some of the more horrifying sides have been spared relegation.  Got it below.  Obviously there are some pretty tough games in there, but there are also teams we should be beating.  We could do pretty well in a group with a decent draw.  Emphasis on could and decent.

Fair point about us possibly picking up some points against the lowest seeds. I'd say 7-8pts max for us with a good draw.  That'll likely be well below what some of our pot 3/4 competitors like Greece and Montenegro get though. If they both come out with 13+pts against the mince in League C, we could be in real trouble for the WC draw. Still a lot of games to go though.

image.png.5d7f9d2ec65355a50fa65610859dcece.png

Yes I have been drinking/am clueless, and yes that is the worst Scotland lineup ever.

It's a bit of a f*ck it approach - throw Porteous in. Him and McKenna make for two physical no-nonsense CBs with years and years ahead of them. Who knows, it might work? We've got to find a CB pairing from somewhere and these two c*nts at least showed up. I expect it will be Devlin tho, and I have no major beef with that.

Naismith would be the 'sensible' choice up front, but I think we need to find some sort of ascendency looking towards Euro 2020. If we get there, I'd rather we failed* with an up and coming striker who can use the experience to become better instead of with a guy who has been crocked for ages and - while still effective - is clearly on his last legs. 

*obvs. I'd rather we didn't fail but I really can't see us getting beyond the groups if we do get to the tourney.

On 12/11/2019 at 16:07, accies1874 said:
On 12/11/2019 at 15:56, superkillieaway said:
Anyone calling for Danny Wilson to get a call up needs their head checked.
The MLS is absolutely rotten and is of a lesser standard than the Scottish Premiership.
When I saw him play for Colorado Rapids he was playing as a defensive mid and basically played in a 10 yard radius. In that game Sam Nicholson also tore a defence apart, that tells you all you need to know about American "soccer"
If Liam Lindsay is getting regular game time then I would say call him up to have a look at him atleast. 
Worrying trend of the EPL players calling off. Hopefully there wont be any more 

I think Stoke fans hate Liam Lindsay due to his performances this season. No idea if that's justified, but it's not exactly promising.

Maybe a call up for Michael Rose will come much sooner than I had expected.................

4 hours ago, forameus said:

Seems a fair enough decision, to be honest.  I'd far rather watch the Super Tunnocks Cup than see us fumble our way through a completely pointless international.  I don't remember a time where we've had this level of apathy, right enough.  Which must (or at least should) be really worrying for Clarke.  We've been put out after something like 6 games before, one of the earliest in Europe, and yet disinterest still seems higher today when we have a playoff in March.  

Although don't they always put these games on against Scotland games?  Or is it usually that we're playing on any day that isn't a Saturday, so there's rarely a clash?

I can't help but think that the nations league "lifeline" has hugely added to the general apathy / disinterest displayed by both fans and indeed players in this whole sorry qualifying episode.

It's almost as if it's been a shrug of the shoulders and a case of "it's ok, the REAL qualifying takes place in March", this was actually one of the reservations I had about this whole "Nations league" process and I remain of the opinion that it was only setup to benefit the TV companies and Uefa so they could show the equivalent of glamour friendlies over each day of international week with the big boys all playing each other and the rest being consigned to the "who gives a toss" bin.

Maybe I'm just cynical but I think we all know that none of the new format was introduced with the intention of  benefiting the paying fans or the smaller nations, that's for sure.......................

1 minute ago, WATTOO said:

I can't help but think that the nations league "lifeline" has hugely added to the general apathy / disinterest displayed by both fans and indeed players in this whole sorry qualifying episode.

It's almost as if it's been a shrug of the shoulders and a case of "it's ok, the REAL qualifying takes place in March", this was actually one of the reservations I had about this whole "Nations league" process and I remain of the opinion that it was only setup to benefit the TV companies and Uefa so they could show the equivalent of glamour friendlies over each day of international week with the big boys all playing each other and the rest being consigned to the "who gives a toss" bin.

Maybe I'm just cynical but I think we all know that none of the new format was introduced with the intention of  benefiting the paying fans or the smaller nations, that's for sure.......................

As I was typing that, I did kind of think that.  Although I see it more as "well, now we've not qualified, we've got March".  We're not in a position where we can get too furious, as we still have a good (on paper) chance of making the tournament, so matter what happens in these games.  I expect if that wasn't there, apathy would be replaced by the usual fury.

I wouldn't agree on the Nations League itself though.  I think it has been a brilliant addition to the calendar, and that's discounting the extra route into the tournament.  Obviously I can't speak to whether the players themselves are treating as "the real quiz".  If so, then that is indeed fucking shit, and they shouldn't be.

13 minutes ago, forameus said:

As I was typing that, I did kind of think that.  Although I see it more as "well, now we've not qualified, we've got March".  We're not in a position where we can get too furious, as we still have a good (on paper) chance of making the tournament, so matter what happens in these games.  I expect if that wasn't there, apathy would be replaced by the usual fury.

I wouldn't agree on the Nations League itself though.  I think it has been a brilliant addition to the calendar, and that's discounting the extra route into the tournament.  Obviously I can't speak to whether the players themselves are treating as "the real quiz".  If so, then that is indeed fucking shit, and they shouldn't be.

There's no doubt that it's been entertaining for the TV audiences and I myself hated friendly matches but again I just feel that it will soon become stale watching the same teams play each other over and over again, whether that be in the "Nations League", Euro finals or World Cup finals.

I don't know about you, but I'm already feeling that the elite club sides and players are all too familiar and friendly with each other and International football is now heading in that same direction.

The way it used to be provided a novelty and excitement as players from different countries and continents would pit their qualities and styles against each other in the big tournaments but now it's all pretty much of a muchness, they seem to be playing against each other every other week whether than be the same old same old Champions league match ups or during the International fixtures and there's really nothing new or surprising happening and frankly it's just becoming rather boring.

Maybe I'm just letting out my "yer da" feelings, who knows ??

8 hours ago, forameus said:

Although don't they always put these games on against Scotland games?  Or is it usually that we're playing on any day that isn't a Saturday, so there's rarely a clash?

Back when internationals were Sat/Wed lower-league and senior non-league games were usually moved to Friday or Sunday. (It took a while for HL to do this but it came in even up there late 2000s). There have been fewer clashes since went Fri/Tue - then latterly onto 'The Week of Football' with games on all kinds of days and often in evenings not afternoons.

Until the last year or so I honestly can't recall the last time a full card of SPFL lower-levels, Challenge Cup, HL, LL, EOSL went ahead against an away game on TV... nor anything against a home game.

Listening to Jonny Russell last night

Says Chris Martin is the best striker he’s ever played with

Has great touch, awareness and so strong and powerful

Playing regularly in the Championship this season and has scored goals

Never mind, we’ve got Shankland

Crazy

We’ve lost enough of our best players through injury and retirals to be ignoring our best available striker

2 hours ago, HibeeJibee said:

Back when internationals were Sat/Wed lower-league and senior non-league games were usually moved to Friday or Sunday. (It took a while for HL to do this but it came in even up there late 2000s). There have been fewer clashes since went Fri/Tue - then latterly onto 'The Week of Football' with games on all kinds of days and often in evenings not afternoons.

Until the last year or so I honestly can't recall the last time a full card of SPFL lower-levels, Challenge Cup, HL, LL, EOSL went ahead against an away game on TV... nor anything against a home game.

I recall that First Division games didn't go ahead on international weekends. It's only fairly recently that they have done so I think.

1 hour ago, DA Baracus said:

I recall that First Division games didn't go ahead on international weekends. It's only fairly recently that they have done so I think.

If that Statto website still worked you could instantly lookup any date in history and it would tell you what matches - club and country - were played that day. Not sure if any other site can.

I think Davis is the real class act in that Rangers midfield, but Jack is undoubtedly having a good season and appears to be a more mature and well-rounded player than when he left us. It makes sense to start him with McTominay out. 

Devlin has been a bit better for us recently, the Celtic debacle excluded, so hopefully he can carry that into these games with McKenna. I am biased, but it makes obvious sense just to hold that partnership together rather than disrupt it to include Gallagher or Porteous, especially when they aren't significant upgrades on Devlin anyway.