Motherwell v Kilmarnock - Wednesday 30th October

I've seen two angles of the tackle and watched them repeatedly thinking 'watch Long hit the ball' and 'watch Bruce hit the ball'. My brain doesn't seem to find an error in either statement. Pretty difficult to judge so it would be good to see a 3rd angle.

Wasn't at the game tonight but that's a massive 3 points against an in form team. Mon the 'Well!

Edit: he does seem to leave the ground when making the slide tackle. Not a rule I agree with and I've seen players sent off for it before (Scott McDonald at home to rangers?) so that may be the ref's thinking.

I can’t tell if it’s Long or Bruce that plays the ball from either replay. I thought he got the ball at the time but he never complained on the way off so I’d assume the ref got it right.

The red card ruined the game tbh. Killie are a well drilled team and were comfy on the ball under pressure at the back except for O’Donnell on a few occasions. Killie’s furthest forward player was on their own 18 yard box for a lot of that game. We moved it too slowly to break them down.

I thought the keeper was at fault for our opener. We seem to concede direct from a cross at least once a season. Thankfully it wasn’t the winner this time. Carroll’s cross for Cole’s goal was scrumptious.

There wasn’t many clear chances for either team in the game. Although I’ve no idea how Campbell missed his chance at the end.

Just now, Gianfranco said:

I can’t tell if it’s Long or Bruce that plays the ball from either replay. I thought he got the ball at the time but he never complained on the way off so I’d assume the ref got it right.

The red card ruined the game tbh. Killie are a well drilled team and were
comfy on the ball under pressure at the back except for O’Donnell on a few occasions. Killie’s furthest forward player was on their own 18 yard box for a lot of that game. We moved it too slowly to break them down.

I thought the keeper was at fault for our opener. We seem to concede direct from a cross at least once a season. Thankfully it wasn’t the winner this time. Carroll’s cross for Cole’s goal was scrumptious.

There wasn’t many clear chances for either team in the game. Although I’ve no idea how Campbell missed his chance at the end.

Gillespie had every right to assume Hartley was clearing the ball for their goal, Campbell’s shot clipped a defenders toe and it shot skyward.  The ball should have been played in front of Scott rather than cut back.

A man advantage and our midfield were charging about like weans. Nearly threw the game charging up the park at the end but not able/willing to shift back at the same pace.

Thought it was a clear red card. Long played the ball and Bruce didn't. Only seemed to be arguing the touch took Long away from goal.

Overall it was a weird performance. I thought we were far too slow on the ball and working it wide seemed aimless since we weren't actually putting in crosses. But then the goal comes from an absolute stunner of a ball and a header even Cole couldn't miss. It could/should have been a walk in the park but Killie missed a sitter right at the end for a point. Gillespie didn't cover himself in glory then or for their goal but did pull off a fantastic save from Brophy.

Gallagher was my MotM. Was the man to take a step forward in the 2nd half to try and break Killie down and he defended really well when the midfield went AWOL. J

If you could put everything that's driven me mad about Motherwell over the years - failing to look like we've got a man more after a red card, giving away shite goals when we're not under pressure, being naive as f**k in the last 10 mins of the game - it was all there tonight BUT it feels like a big win for our season.

From my my East Stand view, I thought Long nicked the ball first and was chopped - didn't think it was a controversial red card at all, so interesting that it apparently is. What I will say is that Killie dealt with it really well and there were undoubtedly spells where they were on top (to the point it makes me doubt if we would have won against 11 men TBH). 

The goal was a kick in the baws and I was expecting the quintessential Motherwell-against-10-men second half where would struggle to break Killie down and they would nick a late winner - so the fact that we came out, looked patient and took a deserved lead was a really nice surprise. In all honesty, we shouldn't have been hanging on (Campbell's miss was a shocker) but it came to the usual desperate defending and I thought Gillespie's save from Brophy's low effort was brilliant and more than made up for Sunday's Craig Samson impression.

If it wasn't for the fact that I was on the verge of a nervous breakdown, the 5-on-1 break where we amazingly didn't score and allowed Killie to break back on us was almost funny (although not as funny as Donnell'y late "free kick"). 

There were some decent performances - big Gallacher probably the pick as he popped up everywhere but it was also the best I've seen Long - if another team's striker had done that to us, we would have been impressed. Jake Carroll had his best game for a while.

Anyway - proper game of football, good away support and 3 points to keep things chugging along nicely - another win on Saturday necessary...