General Election 2019 - AND IT’S LIVE!

Frank Grimes

X in the box for   

467 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

24 minutes ago, DeeTillEhDeh said:
10 hours ago, BawWatchin said:
SNP 55
Cons 0
Lib Dems 3
Labour Independent 1

Are you implying that Murray will leave the Labour Party?

He left the moment Corbyn became leader..... no officially, but in his own mind. His campaign leaflets don't even mention the party or any of their policies. It's the Ian Murray show in that part of Edinburgh.

On 14/11/2019 at 18:38, dorlomin said:

Someone could be in serious legal trouble, this is either bribery and a potential violation of the Representation of the People Act 1983  (I am not a legal expert on this but I am sure the actual experts will have opinions soon) or Farage is guilty of a significant and likely actionable slander. 

https://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1983/2/section/113

He wrote to Cressida Dick, the Met Police commissioner, and Max Hill, the director of public prosecutions, saying: "I believe these allegations raise serious questions about the integrity of the upcoming general election, and in particular whether senior individuals at CCHQ [Conservative Campaign Headquarters] or No 10 have breached two sections of the Representation of the People Act 1983."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/election-2019-50443430

So has Farage launched a master stroke or a moron move?

Argument for the master stroke, he wants the ERG to have as much power as possible, the bigger the tory majority the less influence the ERG will have, so he stands down his candidates from seats that the tories hold meaning they are unlikely to loose many of them, then dumps the tories into a political scandal including Widdicome (very popular with her old parties grass roots)  to undermine their ability to take too many seats of off Labour. 

Argument for the moron move, he opened his mouth without realising that others would capitalise on it.

Its also worth noting how clumsily the Johnson administration has played this, putting itself in another legal mess. They may be good at populism but are piss poor at politics (sound familiar?)

Edited by dorlomin

5 minutes ago, BawWatchin said:

Nan, you're all being too pessimistic. Even the most Hitleresque levels of propaganda can't paper over the cracks of the "union" anymore. The SNP are going to romp this.

I work with mentally disturbed Unionists, they are all voting for Kirstene Hair, they know nothing about her and care not a jot how pathetic she is.

They detest everything the Scottish government do, they want their Brexit so all the immigrants that haven't affected their lives will f**k off.......i do not believe for one second that the SNP will romp this like some are saying, the Lie Dems will mop up a few of the Labour seats and the Tories.

14 minutes ago, tbsouth said:

I work with mentally disturbed Unionists, they are all voting for Kirstene Hair, they know nothing about her and care not a jot how pathetic she is.

They detest everything the Scottish government do, they want their Brexit so all the immigrants that haven't affected their lives will f**k off.......i do not believe for one second that the SNP will romp this like some are saying, the Lie Dems will mop up a few of the Labour seats and the Tories.

Although I haven't lived in Angus for 20 odd years I am still utterly embarrassed that the area I was born and bred in elected Hair.

I honestly believed that was a safe SNP seat. 

5 minutes ago, tongue_tied_danny said:

Although I haven't lived in Angus for 20 odd years I am still utterly embarrassed that the area I was born and bred in elected Hair.

I still think she could get back in, 5,000 swing is a lot. Absolute disaster if she does

It probably was, but as a formerly active member of the SNP I was always very disconcerted by the attitude of some party activists from that part of the world. They were a strange mix of right-wing politically, pro-monarchy and 'romantic' nationalists. There was also a noticeable religious undertone.

As such I never considered them to be serious supporters of independence, and I would not be at all surprised if the combination of the SNP now wielding power and breaking the Labour stranglehold, especially in the religious sense, has them defecting to the unionist camp.

I hope I'm wrong.

1 hour ago, O'Kelly Isley III said:

It probably was, but as a formerly active member of the SNP I was always very disconcerted by the attitude of some party activists from that part of the world. They were a strange mix of right-wing politically, pro-monarchy and 'romantic' nationalists. There was also a noticeable religious undertone.

As such I never considered them to be serious supporters of independence, and I would not be at all surprised if the combination of the SNP now wielding power and breaking the Labour stranglehold, especially in the religious sense, has them defecting to the unionist camp.

I hope I'm wrong.

You normally are. So, SNP gain, then.

But it will still commit a Labour government to eradicating all sales of new petrol and diesel vehicles and decarbonising the energy network by that date.

Even some committed environmentalists blanch at the challenge of hitting the target in a decade: it would involve large-scale state intervention to replace all fossil fuel power plants, petrol and diesel cars, as well as millions of household gas boilers at a breakneck pace.

https://www.ft.com/content/71fc2948-0890-11ea-b2d6-9bf4d1957a67

FT seems to think Labour will soften in "decarbonise by 2030" (utterly insane) but still plan to ban ICU's (internal combustion engines) by 2030. 

There is a small substrand of "evangelists" for electric vehicles that thinks this will happen by sheer economics and utility, they preach the arrival of "Transport as a Service" with self driving EVs being hired far cheaper than people owning cars. Its not totally "out there" but close enough. It would require a huge jump in our current generating capacity and widespread laying of new power cables to near enough every household if it was implemented with the current ownership model or require a complete restructuring of our urban geography in 10 years if the TaaS model was adopted. 

Ambitious decarbonising plans are to be applauded provided they have been built upon major research into the social, economic and infrastructure viability and impact of such plans. 

If it is just a figure pulled from thin air to please the braying masses at a party conference, then it will likely fail to all the worst weaknesses of a centrally planned economy trying to implement a rapidly evolving technology by fiat. 

They also dropped their silly* plans to allow renters to buy properties. It would likely be yet another legal minefield. If this is to be a long term policy objective, it will require a lot of work on the legal and economic viability and issues it would raise. Something stewed up in a head then dropped into government policy without serious analysis is yet again indicative of the amateurish nature of this group, though here it seems they have had to have a bit of a climb down. 

*silly in the way they had not been thought through. 

One more unrelated thought, Tuesday is the head to head debate. Corbyn will come out better because Boris lacks the kind of forensic mind for detail to pull apart these kind of plans and instead relies on bombast and slogans. But on the whole it will have little impact on polls that are currently headed for another hung parliament (though the Brexit Partys chaotic campaign may shift votes to or from the tories depending on how things pan out. )

5 hours ago, dorlomin said:

Suddenly everyone is an expert on Elon Musks businesses. :lol:

I had a very quick look at his history and failed to see how he generated his 22bn+ dollar wealth.

His early gains were 'only' in the hundreds of millions.  Admittedly I didn't find details of his profits (or losses) in his current ventures. 

I'm no expert  :)   

eta    I'm really not! Just realised I was equating 'personal wealth' with 'money in the bank'.

It will be based on share value of his companies.  (Which  could of course crash for various reasons. )

Time to go.

Edited by cyderspaceman

23 hours ago, oaksoft said:

Elon Musk gets most of his money from bullshitting gullible investors who are convinced this guy is the next Nikola Tesla.

That is what charismatic snake oil salesmen are good at.

Are any of his companies actually making any money yet?

Who gives a f**k, anyone who puts on this kind of show is ok in my book.

1 minute ago, oaksoft said:

Quite right. We should never question these rich guys at all. We shouldn't question where their wealth came from, we shouldn't question their bullshit. We shouldn't question when they sack thousands of employees overnight. We shouldn't question any of it.

Because all that matter is that they give us a decent show from time to time to keep us happy.

f**k.

Me. :lol:

First you're crying for these rich investors, most of whom have made a bundle, apart from those who shorted Tesla. Now you've switched to the poor 50,000 odd employees he's hired, mostly well paid, because he's laid off some. Not sure why you think he's worse than any other capitalist entrepreneur. You didn't invest in shorting Tesla did you?

On 16/11/2019 at 19:49, oaksoft said:

Elon Musk gets most of his money from bullshitting gullible investors who are convinced this guy is the next Nikola Tesla.

That is what charismatic snake oil salesmen are good at.

Are any of his companies actually making any money yet?

The reason a lot of people are willing to bet on EVs taking off in a big way soon has more to do with skepticism over how long the shale oil boom will last in the United States than being gullible where Elon Musk is concerned. He's way off base with the hyperloop stuff though:

26 minutes ago, LongTimeLurker said:

The reason a lot of people are willing to bet on EVs taking off in a big way soon has more to do with skepticism over how long the shale oil boom will last in the United States than being gullible where Elon Musk is concerned. He's way off base with the hyperloop stuff though:

image.png.615932a7fc1b9d10b7b346161f405c97.png